First Real Modification Coming Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
As some of you know, I am replacing the manifolds on my LC. It has been slow because of my nonexistant income. (17 yrs old) I now have a job and an income, so I now have some money.

I am going to order the gaskets that I need from MAF because they are the cheapest, and I figured that while I was there, I would order some other parts that I need. Here is the list, tell me what you think;

valve cover gasket
intake/exhaust gasket
fuel filter
MAF add a leaf ( shorties ) a set for the front and rear
GSK anti- inversion shackles: 3" gain in front 2" gain in rear

:beer:

go with the long add a leafs
you'll be happier in the long run..... ;)

Ditto 2badfjs, go with the longer leafs

I have the shorties in the back of mine, wished I'd got the long ones.

the thing i found out with the shorties is that they will eventualy put a bend in the other springs in the pak.
ask me how i know...................
i still have shorties in the front of my soa 60 :eek:

Are you sure the long shackles are for the front? Usually 60s sit ass-low, Id think youd be better off putting the long ones on the back. Maybe Im wrong, you might like that tail-draggin vato look. Just kidding. Hodag

hodag said:
Are you sure the long shackles are for the front? Usually 60s sit ass-low, Id think youd be better off putting the long ones on the back. Maybe Im wrong, you might like that tail-draggin vato look. Just kidding. Hodag

lookin in the maf book
they say
frt 3"
rear 2"
doesnt sound right

STEVE-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

product confermation isle 1

BTW, that is 3" over stock.. you only get about 1.4" lift from them..

Mace said:
BTW, that is 3" over stock.. you only get about 1.4" lift from them..

10-4 on that mace

i've never been a big fan of the long hanging shackles
just something else to drag on a rock!

2badfjs said:
10-4 on that mace

i've never been a big fan of the long hanging shackles
just something else to drag on a rock!
Dragging has never worried me, it is the big "BANG" when I hit something with the front end that always killed me ;)

x2

Mace said:
Dragging has never worried me, it is the big "BANG" when I hit something with the front end that always killed me ;)

for sure :doh:

Longer shackles don't sit any lower than stock ones, but I would rather get the height from springs.

GLTHFJ60 said:
As some of you know, I am replacing the manifolds on my LC. It has been slow because of my nonexistant income. (17 yrs old) I now have a job and an income, so I now have some money.

I am going to order the gaskets that I need from MAF because they are the cheapest, and I figured that while I was there, I would order some other parts that I need. Here is the list, tell me what you think;

valve cover gasket
intake/exhaust gasket
fuel filter
MAF add a leaf ( shorties ) a set for the front and rear
GSK anti- inversion shackles: 3" gain in front 2" gain in rear

I strongly recommend the FelPro brand manifold gasket. Made of Graflex material, much better than OEM foil crap. Cheap ($13.95) from Advance autoparts.

I don't know why toyota doesn't upgrade the manifold gasket. They upgraded the head and manifold gaskets to graflex material during the V6 minitruck debacle. Now they've upgraded the 1FZ-FE gaskets to same material.

Sorry for the gap in posts. I was at my camp up in the Adirondacks for the 4th.

I just went down to Advance and they said that it cost $30 and that it needed to be ordered. I don't want to spend $30 on a gasket unless it is the best. I have read on other threads that the SOR Kevlar gasket was much better. I think that I can also order silicon tubing from them, which would be nice.

One more question. The SOR Manifold insulator. What is it's real advantage? Any disadvanteges?

GLTHFJ60 said:
Sorry for the gap in posts. I was at my camp up in the Adirondacks for the 4th.

I just went down to Advance and they said that it cost $30 and that it needed to be ordered. I don't want to spend $30 on a gasket unless it is the best. I have read on other threads that the SOR Kevlar gasket was much better. I think that I can also order silicon tubing from them, which would be nice.

One more question. The SOR Manifold insulator. What is it's real advantage? Any disadvanteges?
Heres a quote from the PartsAmerica.com website (that's Advance's parts catalog)

Fel Pro MS22813
Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set
1 Year Replacement Warranty

Ships in 1 day
Weight: 0.7 lbs.
$13.97

Call the local advance store and give them the part number see if they can come up w/ a gasket.

I would happily pay $30 for the manifold gasket that has the lowest failure rate!

The SOR gasket is burnproof. :)
It has much lower tear strength than even the OEM gasket. :frown:
It is also not very resistant to fretting. :frown:

I did not know that the Fel-Pro gasket had the lowest failure rate! Looks like that is where I will buy it from. Thank you!!

Now, about the SOR manifold insulator. What is the advantage of it, and will it still comply with emissions regulations?

It's emissions compliant, because it doesn't change how the truck runs. And it will help save your intake manifold from excess heat better than the stock one. Although, the key is to have a properly working heat riser flapper assembly on your exhaust manifold. Mine quit on me about 3 weeks after I put it all back to together and I found out because the truck wouldn't accelerate to its "normal" top speed without the engine turning about 500rpm faster than normal. Rigged the flapper in the open position and voila, no more probs.

Ever get a confirmation from stevo on shackles?

Never thought that longer shackles did not hang lower. To me it seemed like they did.

hightide said:
Ever get a confirmation from stevo on shackles?

Never thought that longer shackles did not hang lower. To me it seemed like they did.
can't hang any lower than the springs allow. they determine the lift of any shackle..the shackle adds to the lift of the body.

So should I buy one? (manifold insulator)

How did you fix the flapper open? Did you weld it, or did you do something else?

By the way, I ended up ordering the Fel-Pro gaskets from partsamerica.com (thanks FJ40 Jim :cool: ). I ordered the main gasket, the valve cover gasket because it leaks like a siv (sp), as well as fuel and oil filters. I don't know when they were changed last, so I just got new ones.

I will get new silicone lines as well.

yeah that makes sense, but everyone always says that longer shackles get cought on stuff. i just assumed that they hung lower somehow. thanks for the clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom