First Post, First Documented Build. '71 FJ40 Refurb and Restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dealerdirectflorida.com
Hello everyone, like the title says, this is my very first post, and the very first time I've ever documented an FJ build. I've been lurking and reading for a very long time, but with all the knowledge on here, I've never had to post.

So let's get right to it. Myself and my partner in crime picked up this awesome specimen of FJ goodness roughly two weeks ago. Our goal here is refurbish and restore the truck as it sits, and keep it as close to stock as possible, it's lasted 40 years and we'll see to it that it'll go for another 40. The few upgrades the truck came with will remain as we feel that they're great additions, but everything else we will try to leave original. I'd say 80% of this vehicle is from 1971. Once she's all done, we'll see she goes to a new home and start another build.

Rust really isn't too bad, only on a couple pieces of the body, and in the usual spots on the top. Frame, running gear, and drivetrain are in impeccable condition for being 40 years old, just need a tune and some cleaning up. Right there we are way ahead of the game.

The previous owner seemed like a really good guy and was definitely a Cruiser enthusiast. Mechanically he maintained her very well while she was under his care for the last decade or so.

So, February 12th, I jumped behind the wheel and drove it the 150+ miles back to my house.

On with the show!
1971%20FJ40%20%2819%29.JPG

1971%20FJ40%20%284%29.JPG

1971%20FJ40%20%281%29.JPG

Now it's bath time for the little one, so I'll have to post some progress photos later on tonight! Cheers! :beer:

Last edited:
Nice man.....really nice and you're off to a good start---Welcome and we'll look forward to some more pics of your rig!

Nice 40; Welcome to Mud :flipoff2:

I don't think I could flip a LandCruiser, I'm too attached to the herd.

will be watching this as i just got a 71 myself.. except the drivetrain (or lack there of) is going to be the difficult part for me!

Welcome and nice rig! Love to know what a canvas like that costs in Florida! Good luck on your build/resto and way to go on trying to keep it stock and true. Ill keep from asking for more pics, but have to be honest, would love to see the engine compartment and interior condition soon!!! If it's as straight as the exterior, you have a real find!

Good luck, have fun and thanks in advance for the photos!

Thanks for all the kind words!

Walton - I'm quite attached to the "herd" myself, and it's one of the reasons myself and my partner chose to restore FJ's. I figure, the more FJ's I can get my hands on and bring back to their former glory, the longer the herd will last! It's for the greater good of the species ;)

iknowjack - ask and ye shall receive!

photo%203.JPG

photo%201.JPG

photo%204.JPG

photo%202.JPG

Those are the last of the pre-disassembly photographs that I'm going to post. Everything from here on in will be of progress! Stay tuned!

Welcome:D

If looks like you've got a 74 or newer motor... 1.5F or 2F.

What does the engine serial number Start with? F or 2F

Bikersmurf- Wow, I've had so much going on these past two weeks I failed to notice the F.5. There is no serial stamp on the block, but the oil filter location is a dead giveaway. It's most definitely not a 2F.

I'll be revising my earlier 80% original statement. More like 60% now!

Time for some progress photos.

photo%202.JPG

photo%201.JPG

photo%203.JPG

photo%204.JPG

photo%205.PNG

This is the final set of pics to bring my progress report up to date.

Yesterday I sent all the small pieces from the front end and engine compartment to be media blasted. Also dismantled everything on the front panels to get ready for blasting. Should have everything back and cleaned by early next week. Then I can tackle the tub.

Until then, I've got a ton of pressure washing and degreasing to tackle. In my humble opinion, a proper restoration begins and ends with serious cleaning. I'll probably spend more time cleaning and detailing than anything else on this rig.

Onto the pics! This is where she stands as of this morning.

photo%201.JPG

photo%203.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%204.JPG

photo%205.JPG

Nice rig - looks like you have the same orange seats a lot of us have used ;)

Jonny

Bikersmurf- Wow, I've had so much going on these past two weeks I failed to notice the F.5. There is no serial stamp on the block, but the oil filter location is a dead giveaway. It's most definitely not a 2F.

I'll be revising my earlier 80% original statement. More like 60% now!

The engine stamp should be behind the distributor on the block.. maybe 1.5 didnt have them?

No stamp of any kind anywhere on the block. This is more than likely a replacement motor for the original F. From my understanding, replacement engines from Toyota had no stamp.

Honestly, I'm not concerned with it not being the original motor. The fact is, it has a better oiling system than the original F engine, and it runs puurrrfect save for a quick tune and fluid change.

In my first post I mentioned that this was a project for myself and my close friend. In actuality, there are 3 of us involved in the build, but I needed the 3rd person's approval prior to mentioning him on the interwebz (He's definitely Old Skool). He's really the brains of the operation and my all purpose Toyota Guru. We'll call him "Pops" from here on out. A little background on Pops: He and his family owned the very first and only Toyota Assembly plant in the Caribbean. They owned and operated the facility from 1970-1990. His job was to oversee the assembly of FJ40's, Hi-Lux, Hi-Ace, and Dyna. The man can basically tell you where every nut and bolt is on the vehicle, in his sleep. I'm pretty positive he's forgotten more FJ information than I could ever hope to learn. He's the reason I've never had to post a question on this forum in the long while I've been lurking.

I never thought to ask Pops if it was the original motor, and I hadn't noticed myself that it wasn't. This morning when I arrived at work, I asked him if he knew that it wasn't the original motor. Of course he looked at me like I was an idiot and said, (in a heavy Trini accent) "Of course not!, didn't you notice the oil filter?"...

I'm a dumba$$...

Just to show you how astute I am, your rear brake reservoir is empty. You might want to check that out. It appears to be leaking from the p-side rear wheel cylinder.

:flipoff2:

Thanks for the link. I'm subscribed.

Doug

Where in South Florida are you located? There are a couple of us with 40's in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Im redoing a 1970 FJ40. Im all ways willing to help and learn. Subscribed!

Preston

Preston - I work in the Lauderdale area, my shop is about a half mile from the HardRock. The FJ is at my house in Wellington though. I'd love to meet up for lunch someday and check out the rigs. Maybe if you end up in my neck of the woods you could swing by and have a look at my set up!

Mike

PS.. we have a 69 FJ at the shop on a stupidly large lift with 39's and a SBC that we're putting back together to sell off. You and your buds are always welcome to swing in and check it out.

Just to show you how astute I am, your rear brake reservoir is empty. You might want to check that out. It appears to be leaking from the p-side rear wheel cylinder.

:flipoff2:

Thanks for the link. I'm subscribed.

Doug

Damn! You were spot on! It's almost as if you owned it?! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom