First pictures from turbo installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, did not manage to finish the turbo install during the weekend. But there is not that much left. I must relocate the power steering reservoar, an maybe also the water sedimenter. Set up a heat reflector. T-off water to the turbo.
DSCN6644.JPG
DSCN6638.JPG

Nice job

Very nice, is a 3B engine? :cool:

lookin good.

curious, for your px line. I noticed it comes from the banjo fitting. Hot many items are coming off of there. Looks like 3, must be an illuision. if not, what are they.

How about tapping into the oil galley further away, I pulled my plug on engine(bsp) and just installed a fitting. real easy. No banjo's to deal with. I used the plug under the alternator.

I will post pics soon. Your drain fitting looks good. very clean install.

Thanks for the nice comments! :)

canadian bum: This is not a kit, but a junk-yard turbo off a Saab 900.

vsh150: You are right, it is a 3B.

brownbear said:
lookin good.

curious, for your px line. I noticed it comes from the banjo fitting. Hot many items are coming off of there. Looks like 3, must be an illuision. if not, what are they.

How about tapping into the oil galley further away, I pulled my plug on engine(bsp) and just installed a fitting. real easy. No banjo's to deal with. I used the plug under the alternator.

I will post pics soon. Your drain fitting looks good. very clean install.

The px line is in a double banjo fitting setup with the vacuum pump. I made the hole larger (from 8 to 10 mm) in order to make sure there will be enough oil for both applications.
The third banjo is below the two others, and it is the original return of the vacuum pump.

I really wanted to plug px line into the engine oil gallery. I even found a BSP fitting for it. But the inner diameter of that fitting was only 4mm, whereas the inner diameter of the original oil piping to the turbo was approx. 9mm. I feared this would not feed enough oil to the turbo.

The px line is in a double banjo fitting setup with the vacuum pump. I made the hole larger (from 8 to 10 mm) in order to make sure there will be enough oil for both applications.
The third banjo is below the two others, and it is the original return of the vacuum pump.

I really wanted to plug px line into the engine oil gallery. I even found a BSP fitting for it. But the inner diameter of that fitting was only 4mm, whereas the inner diameter of the original oil piping to the turbo was approx. 9mm. I feared this would not feed enough oil to the turbo.[/QUOTE]

I see, maybe it would not. 10mm is like 3/8 inch. so pretty big hole.

My px line from the galley is a -4, so 1/4 inch. which was the same size as the turbo px inlet.

I look forward to hearing your results.

my turbo was off a Merkur 2.5 turbo car with an auto tranny(slightly quicker spool to accomdate the auto) hope it works.

My turbo is off a 2.3 gasser, with claimed 170 hp, no idea if it will work well on the 3B.

Do you have any close up pics of the turbo to the exhaust manifold. I would like to see how you mounted it there.

Still working on the turbo setup. Might finish tonight if I am lucky.

Have this picture of the manifold:
DSCN6640.JPG

Vegard said:
Still working on the turbo setup. Might finish tonight if I am lucky.

Have this picture of the manifold:

was it hard to locate the two lower bolts(longer)?

I had to make studs for the lower bolts. Just could not source the longer bolts.

Thats a nice adapter you made for the garrett foot. Very clean.

Nice having a 13b-t manifold to do the job! I don't like the look of a flipped manifold.

why did you have to move the powersteering res? Mine seems to clear fine.

the water lines are a pain to move as well. I went to hoses the whole way, no hard lines..

The manifold belongs to the 13B-T engine. I got it from a friend, and he got some other Cruiser-parts from me.

Brownbear: In my 75 the powersteering res would nearly touch the turbo! That's why I have moved it (just finished actually). Don't want the oil to catch fire!

The 60's I've seen have all had a lot more room in their engine bays than my 75. Never seen a BJ60 though.

I will take some pictures tomorrow. Norwegian time is now 0032 AM, and it is raining hard. Time to go to bed.

I drove my turboed BJ75 last night!!! Max boost was only 0.2 bar, so did not feel any great difference. Need to adjust the wastegate and dieselvolume.

Here is what it looks like now. Note the temporary screen on the intakeside. It is to prevent parts loosening from the turbo to enter the engine.
DSCN6646.JPG
DSCN6647.JPG
DSCN6648.JPG

good call with the custom heat sheild.
doesn't it feel good when you turn the key and everything is working right. till i did the exhaust, i could hear the turbo, sounded cool but it got old real fast. how does the turbo sound on yours?

looks like a nice install...

congrates...

Thanks! It felt very well when everything worked! The turbo-sound is significant, for now I like it, but it might be too much in the long run...

Actually I have way to much exhaus/engine sound, since I don't have a muffler yet. The exhaust pipe is less than 1 meter long. I ment to build it longer, but due to heavy rain I got electrical shocks from my grinder. That made me temporarily cancel the exhaust-job...

And... can you finish the conversion?

Vegard said:
I drove my turboed BJ75 last night!!! Max boost was only 0.2 bar, so did not feel any great difference. Need to adjust the wastegate and dieselvolume.

Here is what it looks like now. Note the temporary screen on the intakeside. It is to prevent parts loosening from the turbo to enter the engine.

I like your screen idea. I may have to do something similar. never know the first few hundred miles....... :doh:

oh man whats .2 bar?? me gonna have to try a conversion site.

I though you guys may use kilopasquals or something like that?

Hi there! The turbo works great! Still I want to do some small adjustments, but not enough time at the moment.

For converting "everything", try this site: http://jumk.de/calc/pressure.shtml

I have increased the boost to approx 6 psi now (0.4 bar). My new 9.00R16 XZL's really demands the turbo, but I was actually surprised with how well it performes despite the large tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom