First oil change, impressions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all. Just got a 2002 LX470 and did my first oil change. Here's a few impressions. First off, let me thank the Toyota engineers who put in that lower access panel for the oil filter! Much easier than my RX300. The AHC helped with getting under the vehicle without ramps or jacking. I'm not sure when the previous owner changed the oil last but it still looked golden. I put in Full synthetic and a WIX filter. Anyway. It went pretty smooth except that it was pouring raining out. Finally got my money's worth out of my coveralls. (my going-to-town clothes are dry!) So far, I love this thing. I flew down to Bend Oregon and drove it back (300+ miles) without a single hiccup. My only complaint is that it has the DVD navigation system. After 17 years, it's pretty dated. I'd like to switch it to a standard heater control and after market stereo. I've checked out the thread on doing that and it gives me the willies. I've done installs on all my cars, but this may be beyond me. (I can't even find a decent heater control panel for sale. These don't show up at the old Pick N' Pull like Ford Explorers or Chevy's.)

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in.

You can get an Android-type head unit that also does CarPlay from Grom. Its' the VLine VL2.

It's certainly not as good as the updated heater controls + modern head unit that so many have put good work into here, but it works well to bring the LX into somewhat modern territory. I almost never see the Lexus UI anymore—it's straight to CarPlay for maps, music, etc. I'll use the trip screen and the climate screen sometimes, but mostly ignore them.

You can get an Android-type head unit that also does CarPlay from Grom. Its' the VLine VL2.

It's certainly not as good as the updated heater controls + modern head unit that so many have put good work into here, but it works well to bring the LX into somewhat modern territory. I almost never see the Lexus UI anymore—it's straight to CarPlay for maps, music, etc. I'll use the trip screen and the climate screen sometimes, but mostly ignore them.

Good idea. In my Old SAAB convertible, I used a tablet for navigation and podcasts and a Sony Bluetooth w/ music on a thumb drive. I also had my Uniden BCD 536HP scanner in the Dual DIN spot. I'd really like to do that again.

So the VLine just "inlines" to the factory stuff—it reuses the screen, all the hardware controls, etc.

The best part is that it's easy, and no serious modifications to the LX. And everything still works as factory.
The worst part is that it reuses a screen that's 20 years old.

There's a huge thread on it here: GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration. Early units were lots less reliable. I have the VL2 and in six months have only needed to reset it once. Like most, I installed it in the glove box, so it's easy to do even if infrequent.

Reading the first post again, though—you have a 2002. Should be WAY easier than 2003+, I'm kind of jealous. VLine is probably not very useful for you at all.

So the VLine just "inlines" to the factory stuff—it reuses the screen, all the hardware controls, etc.

The best part is that it's easy, and no serious modifications to the LX. And everything still works as factory.
The worst part is that it reuses a screen that's 20 years old.

There's a huge thread on it here: GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration. Early units were lots less reliable. I have the VL2 and in six months have only needed to reset it once. Like most, I installed it in the glove box, so it's easy to do even if infrequent.

Reading the first post again, though—you have a 2002. Should be WAY easier than 2003+, I'm kind of jealous. VLine is probably not very useful for you at all.

As far as sound goes, I'm using the tablet with a bluetooth/FM transmitter that works OK. My big gripe is switching back and forth between screens for heater/radio/map and no room for the scanner in the dash. Honestly, it's a very minor gripe, but I'm in full Make-It-Like Home mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom