First Off Roading Experience with my 100 at Rausch Creek, Tremont PA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all, a HUGE thanks to fireball for showing up and giving me a ton of direction and information on my first trip into the mud with my 100. Without him I have no doubt I would have damaged my vehicle, or chickened out on the first trail.

We arrived at 8:30am on Sunday to thick fog, but got to see a bunch of Cherokees driving straight up these dirt hills near the registration office.

(excuse some of the sideways photos, photobucket doesn't like to save edited photos for whatever reason, and the person who took them with an iphone)

After we got registered and established our group, we set out into the park. fireball graciously offered to ride along in my truck since he had been there before and be our guide. The first obstacle we encountered I thought to myself (no way this thing will do it, it's stock). But fireball got out and told me where to point my tires, to use both feet when using the gas/brake, how to roll on and off rocks, how to protect the diff, and really showed me what the truck is capable of....I was speechless.

For those of you who do this, you know pics don't show you what it really looks like.

Fallen trees aren't an issue!

End of the day poser shots on the big rock!

At the end of the day, nothing was broken, I had an awesome time and learner a lot.

Those are awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

A group of guys out here in So Cal organized a beginner run on one of our local trails and I ended up taking my 100 series (2001 LX) out for both of our first times off road. I'm pretty sure that you and I had the same "Holy crap, my stock rig can do THAT?" experience. It is amazing what these vehicles can do by just shifting them into 4WD-Lo and pointing them in the right direction.

We had lots of fun yesterday! @maxse01 was a natural behind the wheel, super smooth and great wheel placement. I have a feeling that 100 will be lifted and armored and ready to tackle the blue trails in a very short amount of time :)

Note the OEM rear bumper and those super low mud flaps are a huge hindrance. Could've gotta into a good bit more areas without those pesky flaps in the way !

I was up there this weekend as well for the first time. I was with some j**p buddies. I wasn't sure of the terrain either especially in my stock rig. There is a great mix of trails at Rausch.

Fireball, I saw your rig and was quite impressed. What all upgrades you running? It looks like exactly what I want to do to mine. If the details are in your signature line, I apologize but I can't see them via the iPad app.

We had lots of fun yesterday! @maxse01 was a natural behind the wheel, super smooth and great wheel placement. I have a feeling that 100 will be lifted and armored and ready to tackle the blue trails in a very short amount of time :)

Note the OEM rear bumper and those super low mud flaps are a huge hindrance. Could've gotta into a good bit more areas without those pesky flaps in the way !

I've decided for now to just chop the flaps and get some sliders. I know if I do a rear bumper I'll have to do a lift to compensate for the weight and that is a slippery slope! I do plan to drive out to Colorado to visit family next year and I think that will be my time to visit Slee for some goodies. Thanks again fireball, let's meet up and see what your beast can do some time soon.

I've decided for now to just chop the flaps and get some sliders. I know if I do a rear bumper I'll have to do a lift to compensate for the weight and that is a slippery slope! I do plan to drive out to Colorado to visit family next year and I think that will be my time to visit Slee for some goodies. Thanks again fireball, let's meet up and see what your beast can do some time soon.

I'm not sure why you'd need to trim the mud flaps to be honest. I have wheeled totally stock and now modified on dozens of pretty decently difficult trails, and even if they've been snagged on something they just pop right back into place. I actually like the fact they help keep crap off the back of the truck!

Here's stock and you can see it's not really in the way

new4.jpeg

And this ledge was very steep and not too forgiving and the flaps didn't cause any issue here either:

IMG_0784.JPG

I'm concerned with repeated dragging it's going to eventually loosen the rear bumper. While a nice ARB or Slee rear bumper is on my list, I want to keep the stock bumper nice for when I eventually turn it back to stock and sell.

But it's good to know that they're durable. Thanks!

Awesome pic, fireball! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom