First noob post - 1972 FJ40 in San Diego (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings IH8MUD Community,

FIRST POST…have been clicking around this site for some time and the info and impressions have been invaluable. My Dad and I are beginning to restore his 1972 FJ40 which he has owned from the very beginning, bought in Escondido from Reynolds Toyota. This vehicle has a special place in my heart as I practically grew up in one of the rear jump seats, tooling around Anza Borrego, kicking my brother’s shins, and eventually learning how to drive a stick shift with a non-synchronizing first gear. Not to mention a fefw trips to Canada!

Dad did a V8 conversion in 1976, and we have the intention of replacing the motor with a new crate V8 at some point, but that will be another story.

The rust is pretty bad, especially on the roof, but we intend to part out some of it and make it a full-time convertible. Stay tuned classified section!

It still runs, but first things first we have to find a shop here in San Diego to strip, sandblast, get the bodywork done, and get some of that new Dune Beige. We are in the San Diego area. If anyone can recommend a shop here we would really appreciate it.

Thanks all!

P1010133-2.JPG

20221203_115828.jpg

20230108_122241.jpg

20230108_122524.jpg

Welcome, looks like a great project for you and your dad. So nice to know the history before jumping into a project like this.

Kelley Saad is on this forum and is in flagstaff arizona, he does alot of cruisers paint and bodywork, it might be worth giving him a call
I was considering having mine done with him but he's just too far away from me.
There are posts on here showing his work

Welcome! Check your bezel 😂. And what are those exhaust manifolds doing?

Fenderwell headers. I wonder if someone made them. They usually have a tighter design. Looks like a nice 40 to start with.. I'd reconsider getting rid of the top. They have value.

Last edited:
Those are affectionately called a bundle of snakes. A common appearance when equal length tubes attempted with shorty headers.

What rust? lol

I would keep the hard top. It’s still good, and one day, you might want to put a hard top on there, and you’re gonna realize you will have to dish out several thousand dollars for a rust bucket hard top. It’s only original once, I would pack the hard top up and stick it in an attic or something.

Welcome to the madness! You've come to the right place. I agree with Vida. The FJ40 hardtops are a world apart better looking than the suuuuper ugly YJ and TJ fiberglass tops. To me it's equal to flicking your tail feathers at them.

I spent 30 years in SD and East County but GTFO about 6 years ago. I miss some things but not the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom