First Major Project - 2011 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 2011 LX570, 90K miles. Besides doing the 90K mile service (flush and replace all fluids, etc) I have decided on my first project/purchase.

It took me a while, but I just bought (5) of the 18" TRD PRO BBS HE Bronze Rims. Not super easy to find, very not cheap either.

I have attached a before pic of my LX and a pic of the rims I swiped from ebay (The pic is from eBay, not the rims).

I think I am going to run 275/70/18 Wildpeak A/T3W's. I'd like no rubbing, no spacers and no lift.

So excited!

trdprohe.jpg

LX570.JPG

I think I am going to run 275/70/18 Wildpeak A/T3W's. I'd like no rubbing, no spacers and no lift.

Very cool first step! And great tire choice.

Just so you know, there are other reasons why spacers are used. Tall tires have an impact on suspension geometry. Specifically scrub radius - which can impact handling, cornering traction, and steering pulling under high load acceleration and braking conditions. Pushing the wheels out wider also helps with the change in COG with any lift, including a tire lift.

For a 275/70/18 (33.2") tire, optimal offset changes from the stock 60mm built into the wheels, to about 45mm.

You'll be fine with the setup you're proposing. Just putting it out there that there may be some other considerations.

Looking forward to the pictures.

I have the same color LX, very interested how it's going to look with bronze wheels.

Very cool first step! And great tire choice.

Just so you know, there are other reasons why spacers are used. Tall tires have an impact on suspension geometry. Specifically scrub radius - which can impact handling, cornering traction, and steering pulling under high load acceleration and braking conditions. Pushing the wheels out wider also helps with the change in COG with any lift, including a tire lift.

For a 275/70/18 (33.2") tire, optimal offset changes from the stock 60mm built into the wheels, to about 45mm.

You'll be fine with the setup you're proposing. Just putting it out there that there may be some other considerations.

Looking forward to the pictures.
So, you’d suggest a 15mm spacer? Any recommendations on where I’d find such a thing?

I'd say go ahead and try the setup as is. Others have done this and are satisfied with the performance. If you're sensitive, you'll notice symptoms and could always add spacers then. Like in a parking garage in sharp turns, you may notice tires scrubbing and squealing as the tires don't completely point in the same direction working together.

There's no perfect 15mm spacer. Bora makes a .75" spacer (19mm) spacer that'll do the job. They can be found with multiple venders but here's one I found quickly.

May need to pay attention to if there's reliefs build into the TRD Pro rims to accommodate studs protruding. Several solutions to that, and perhaps 1" spacers may work better to avoid it.

I'd say go ahead and try the setup as is. Others have done this and are satisfied with the performance. If you're sensitive, you'll notice symptoms and could always add spacers then. Like in a parking garage in sharp turns, you may notice tires scrubbing and squealing as the tires don't completely point in the same direction working together.

There's no perfect 15mm spacer. Bora makes a .75" spacer (19mm) spacer that'll do the job. They can be found with multiple venders but here's one I found quickly.

May need to pay attention to if there's reliefs build into the TRD Pro rims to accommodate studs protruding. Several solutions to that, and perhaps 1" spacers may work better to avoid it.
Maybe I'll order the following:
Amazon product ASIN B07XX74NL5
Thanks!

Maybe I'll order the following:
Amazon product ASIN B07XX74NL5
Thanks!

That'll do the trick.

When fitting new spacers, including fitting new wheels, I recommend re-torquing all lugs after 50-100 miles. To ensure that there is sufficient torque after everything takes a set. Apply blue Loctite to the hidden lugs on the spacer when re-torquing.

That'll do the trick.

When fitting new spacers, including fitting new wheels, I recommend re-torquing all lugs after 50-100 miles. To ensure that there is sufficient torque after everything takes a set. Apply blue Loctite to the hidden lugs on the spacer when re-torquing.
Thank you for all of your help and insight. We are practically neighbors. Next time I am out, I'll happily buy you lunch at Epic wings or something. Love that place.

If I am going the spacer route, is 275/70/18 the right choice? Does it make sense to do 285/70/18? Might as well get it right out of the gate?

Also, when I am thinking of adding in spacers, I don't really want to cheap out when it is the focal point of so much potential to go wrong. Quick search suggests that Spidertrax seems to be some of the best. Thoughts on that? They are also only 1.25, not 1"

Thanks again!

Please don’t run what appear to be cheap Chinese spacers. Spidertrax or Borla are reputable brands. Since these literally hold the wheels on, I wouldn’t skimp.

Many of us run the 1.25" spidertrax. I have had good luck with them.

If I am going the spacer route, is 275/70/18 the right choice? Does it make sense to do 285/70/18? Might as well get it right out of the gate?

It's all kinda a trade. The 275/70 is taller if you prioritize height. 285/70 65 is almost a full 3/4" shorter. Difference between a 34 and 33 class tire.

Last edited:
It's all kinda a trade. The 275/70 is taller if you prioritize height. 285/70 is almost a full 3/4" shorter. Difference between a 34 and 33 class tire.
Isn’t the 285/70/18 taller and wider than a 275/70/18?

Isn’t the 285/70/18 taller and wider than a 275/70/18?

Thanks for catching my typo. Meant 285/65R18.

Though a 285/70R18 @ 33.7" is a great size choice, albeit a bit more work to fit. I'm not sure Falken makes that size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom