First Lift Attempt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, new to the board, have a 91 that I am getting ready to lift. Got an OME 3" with heavy duty springs. Plan is to get ARB Bull bar soon and rear tire swing away end of summer. That being said, the lift is coming with the coils, shocks, and steering stabilizer kit. I am seeing some things from searches that this is going to leave the back end high...since I am going to do the rear bumper in a couple months should I put the coil spacers up front? Also is it for sure that I will need the pan hard rods for front and rear or is that a wait and see? I am planning on doing the extended brake lines too.

thanks all...look forward to being more active on here.

youll want a 1" spacer to be level if thats what you are going for...
brake lines and caster correction ( bushings / plates ) are a must, Id skip the panhard and s*** unless you go over 3"

Welcome!

Wait and see on the panhard bars.

Throw some sandbags in the back to keep the stinkbug down until you get the rear bumper and swingout on it.

Definitely do the extended brake lines now.

youll want a 1" spacer to be level if thats what you are going for...
brake lines and caster correction ( bushings / plates ) are a must, Id skip the panhard and s*** unless you go over 3"
so the spacers up front?

Panhard rods: no, not absolutely necessary and may not be necessary at all. I don't run 'em and I'm fine with it. If you do decide you want them, the Delta VS panhard bracket is probably a better solution for the rear anyway.

Spacers: I wouldn't bother personally--it's just to make the truck look level and if you haven't put all the heavy stuff on yet, it's just extra work for a temporary measure.

You'll want to correct your caster. I would recommend skipping the OME yellow bushings and instead getting some caster plates. There are 2.5" lift and 4" lift versions available here:
or if you want to spend a little more money you could go with Delta VS radius arms which correct the caster using stock bushings
or the new radius arm drop kit seen here: eimkeith 80 series front control arm DIY drop brackets.

at least a 1" spacer up front, unless you got the J coils you will still be nose down

Hey all, new to the board, have a 91 that I am getting ready to lift. Got an OME 3" with heavy duty springs. Plan is to get ARB Bull bar soon and rear tire swing away end of summer. That being said, the lift is coming with the coils, shocks, and steering stabilizer kit. I am seeing some things from searches that this is going to leave the back end high...since I am going to do the rear bumper in a couple months should I put the coil spacers up front? Also is it for sure that I will need the pan hard rods for front and rear or is that a wait and see? I am planning on doing the extended brake lines too.

Thanks for all the replies...lift going on tomorrow...one last question in the vein...I have stock 15" rims with 31" K02's on right now that still have life...looking to burn the tires up before going bigger. From what I have read looks like I need to go to at least a 16" rim for 33's...my question is should I be running any wheel spacers until I get new rims/tires or am I fine? I am hoping I am fine but wanted to make sure. Thanks all.

Thanks for all the replies...lift going on tomorrow...one last question in the vein...I have stock 15" rims with 31" K02's on right now that still have life...looking to burn the tires up before going bigger. From what I have read looks like I need to go to at least a 16" rim for 33's...my question is should I be running any wheel spacers until I get new rims/tires or am I fine? I am hoping I am fine but wanted to make sure. Thanks all.
You can do 33" tires on 15" rims if you can find the tires.

that is great to know...is there any width issues with going that route?
Depends on tire brand and aspect ratio. i ran 33*12.50*15 on 8" rims. Star Trail Buster. Can't even buy those anymore.

Depends on tire brand and aspect ratio. i ran 33*12.50*15 on 8" rims. Star Trail Buster. Can't even buy those anymore.
Get on Tire rack.com or Discount tire.com and check tire availability and sizes. Tire rack gives good specification info. Don't sort by model, search by tire size.

285/75-15 or something close. Then go to specs for the tires you like and compare and see minimum rim width.

If you're going through the trouble of putting the lift on consider replacing suspension bushings at the same time. Adds cost and time to the lift install but really will make the truck ride nice when it's done. Also ensures that any handling issues are limited to lift geometry changes (i.e. caster correction or pan hard correction) and are not a result of worn components so you don't waste time chasing problems with your suspension that have nothing to do with the new lift.

If you're going through the trouble of putting the lift on consider replacing suspension bushings at the same time. Adds cost and time to the lift install but really will make the truck ride nice when it's done. Also ensures that any handling issues are limited to lift geometry changes (i.e. caster correction or pan hard correction) and are not a result of worn components so you don't waste time chasing problems with your suspension that have nothing to do with the new lift.
X2 on suspension bushings!! Best thing I did for my rig combined with the new coils & shocks. Dirt road Cadillac...

thanks again to everyone for your advice and help...the lift went on, and had a bunch of things but all in all a success. I did have a couple more questions though...what needs to happen with the sway bars? With the lift in I was not able to get them reconnected without just banging against things. Also is an alignment needed? I have heard both yes and no on that. I still have life on the 31's so dont want to trash them over 75 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom