Builds First LC, HZJ77 Build "Kengo" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you! I'm sorry I'm lowering the volume of 70s in TX! I need to quickly go through my list of hard to ship wanted parts before you are a 12hr drive away!
Even if you don't need any parts you can always come over for a cold beer ;)

Love seeing people use these rigs for more then just trips to the coffee shop. Just cause they are old and don't have "TRD" next to their badging doesn't mean they can't do everything just as well. The trip and all the passes you did is on my bucket list to do in my 77, I was hoping I'd be the first in a 77 to do them...
IMHO, (and over a decade of experience in Search and Rescue) these "old" Cruisers do the job BETTER than anything built nowadays. I can't count how many times I have come across new "off road" jeeps and trucks that have broken something or had some electrical failure for a hub or locker and subsequently been stuck or broken down.

Of course, experience and aptitude plays a HUGE role in a lot of the scenarios I have had the pleasure of being involved in. And for some reason the infamous "liquid courage" seems to be a common denominator in many of them as well.... :rofl:

I actually just registered for a training event at TMMTX for Oct 11-14 that I'm curious if it will stay on the calendar or get virtualized....if its still there I'll have to see if I can hunt you down!

That will be right after MY22 Tundra MPTA so things won't be so crazy. Let me know! I am sure I will be around but I bet you will be at the visitors center and not the actual plant for the training sessions. It seems like that is how TMMTX does their training.

Last edited:
Feel free to hunt me down. That is right after MPTA so time should be on my side here at work.

That will be right after MY22 Tundra MPTA so things won't be so crazy. Let me know! I am sure I will be around but I bet you will be at the visitors center and not the actual plant for the training sessions. It seems like that is how TMMTX does their training.
I'll keep you posted!!

Sorry about the weird double post. I was trying to post earlier and didn't think it went through so I thought I had to write it all over again. Didn't realize it saved part of my original post.

Well it’s been a little while…. Finally sort of settled in here in CO, still playing Tetris in the new/old home trying to find the right place to put things. The garage space is embarrassing right now but living spaces take priority!

I finally had some time to do a little work on the rig, the last couple months I’ve simply been driving it which has been awesome. After a bit of a pucker at the CO grey market emissions inspection station, I’m all plated up and the final emissions test said “I’ve never seen a grey market diesel test this clean” which made me happy to hear. My goal was to tune the fuel to make the turbo fun but smoke free as can be!

My work today consisted of starting on replacing the fender flare pad/trim. I purchased some oem replacements months ago and I’ve been holding off thinking “maybe I’ll touch the paint up first” but I really would like to keep crap from getting in there as much as I can especially with winter enroute.
E76D31FB-0597-4E1A-9E7B-98AD52AF4B7E.jpeg

Most of it was gone on the RH rear door so I started there.

97EE0D53-0EAC-4A2A-80C7-EF0D794A5537.jpeg

One mount broke, and I had to hack saw the stud off of the mount due to rust. I then found a similar sized stud, stole a washer off another bolt to give it a base, then added a little epoxy to put it back in there.
03411E81-A9B6-482E-AF35-BC85E7176879.jpeg

I cleaned up the mounts, coated them in corroseal, and then rubberized coating and then got to work on the new trim.
786A8529-42E9-49F8-943A-123F4B236A9B.jpeg

It took a little finagling to get it to sit in the lip alright, but I warmed it up a bit to help it forget it’s life coiled up in a bag.

B1614014-AC9B-4DDF-AC02-7412C6EFDC00.jpeg

Over all I’m REALLY happy with it. It’s looks so much better, and less junk should fall in there ha. I did order only front sets because they were less expensive on partsouq, and according to the weight they weigh more. Looks like they will work for the rear, but this one a cut a tad long so it will be a tad short for the rear quarter section. Atleast they will have been recently removed if I decide I need to redo them!

Dang, I’m 2 days shy of a full year 🤣. But I need to start dropping this info in before it gets lost in my head!

So since my last post we have had our 4th child (and I also got snipped so it’s the final 🤣) and I’ve been figuring out the most cost effective way to keep the 77 a family rig. Since I couldn’t get my hands in a bench seat(and my wife wanted to keep captains chairs) I have been searching for a prado rear seat. I only need one however so buying from Japan was an option (barely) using Buyee. I snagged a RH rear seat for 19$ on yahoo auctions, but don’t worry the shipping made up for that deal lol. I wanted RH seat so that I could just open the small rear door and my kids could hop in rather than having to open both doors.

I also looked around for options for the floor mount, it’s the same as an 80 but my quotes were too much for what it is. So I cut out the 3rd row mount from a 1st gen sequoia at a pick n pull for 2$. There are no factory mounts in my truck, just empty areas where they would mount (thank you @AirheadNut for showing me what a prado has) which is a blessing and a curse. Makes more work to mount it, but I get to set it how I want. So my focus was maximizing leg room, not worried about cargo space when the seat is in use.

I first made a little mount for the front leg out of some left over tubing. It’s just about the right height so that’s a win.

03EB0158-85DD-448C-BFAD-66370A45DE46.jpeg
621ED626-AFE1-47E7-AF7A-617D1F058370.jpeg
0A4D0112-6CB6-4BD9-9CDC-6DA3BF39AB38.jpeg
5FD770CB-9F87-47D7-8A08-83783F9278B6.jpeg
FA235D9B-82CF-4BAF-97FD-80407C9BF916.jpeg

Next up what figuring out how far back I could go. I declined the seat and moved it as far back as I could, and also being able to access the bottom drawer. They occurred in about the same place. It was a ways back from where the factory mount would go, so I’m happy to snag a few more inches of leg room. It made it a little trickier for cutting out an area to weld in, but luckily there is a structure channel beneath the whole area so it’s somewhat protected.

01A394C7-1C0D-4C88-A68D-D297584B7716.jpeg
5283953C-FEAF-4D5D-AB35-A6C3099A7852.jpeg
160FF68E-CA44-4E30-9589-F775F8A7F85A.jpeg
89DBC1CC-8BAD-4A5D-821D-13D769F9E901.jpeg
626B84A5-4315-46E5-AEFA-17305AE8DFF4.jpeg

View attachment 2580259View attachment 2580260

I tapped the radio power and ground since the DCDC has a nice constant 12v out available for it. In my testing, the alarm never took more than 0.7A so I’m not worried about it. I also popped the glas break sensor into one of the switch spots. View attachment 2580262
View attachment 2580263
There is a little 3 prong wire under the dash, it has a very convenient connection for the ignition switch. I snagged a pin to put into that. Trying to keep things unmolested.
View attachment 2580264
@Blomdala I am going to install this same security system. I just ordered it.

There are about a million wires coming out of that module. But it looks like you only used a few of them. Do you have any more details handle on all of that? I'm pretty sure you're the only person in the world that has done this ... or at least done this and documented it.

@Blomdala I am going to install this same security system. I just ordered it.

There are about a million wires coming out of that module. But it looks like you only used a few of them. Do you have any more details handle on all of that? I'm pretty sure you're the only person in the world that has done this ... or at least done this and documented it.
It’s not perfect, but I like having the Toyota fob, and it works good enough ha. I’ll do some digging and see what I can find for what I used. But you’re right it was very few. Power, ground, unlock signal, lock signal, drivers door switch (I didn’t add passenger door sensing yet), ignition, horn/beeper, and parking lights.

It’s not perfect, but I like having the Toyota fob, and it works good enough ha. I’ll do some digging and see what I can find for what I used. But you’re right it was very few. Power, ground, unlock signal, lock signal, drivers door switch (I didn’t add passenger door sensing yet), ignition, horn/beeper, and parking lights.

I'm with you on the fob. Aftermarket fobs are super clunky and massive. It's like they're trying to prove something.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the wiring specifics. I don't think the passenger door has a sensor in it? Unless mine doesn't work ...

I'm with you on the fob. Aftermarket fobs are super clunky and massive. It's like they're trying to prove something.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the wiring specifics. I don't think the passenger door has a sensor in it? Unless mine doesn't work ...
That may very well be why I didn’t connect it. All I do is tap into the ground button for the dome light, It just wants to see ground for the alarm too.

Just got sucked in to the vortex and reread this entire thread from start to now. Not a bad way to recover from Christmas breakfast, before heading off to Christmas dinner! 😂🎅

@Blomdala this build thread is one of my faves on here. Thanks again for documenting this journey. Look forward to the next chapter.

I think he is more active on the North America FB 70 series group than here these days. I tried out FB (just to join a couple land cruiser groups - the North America 70 series and the local San Antonio one) for a bit but closed out the account after a couple months, just wasn't for me. Mud is easier to navigate and research information. Hopefully @Blomdala posts here more often in the future! :)

Just got sucked in to the vortex and reread this entire thread from start to now. Not a bad way to recover from Christmas breakfast, before heading off to Christmas dinner! 😂🎅

@Blomdala this build thread is one of my faves on here. Thanks again for documenting this journey. Look forward to the next chapter.
I appreciate the kindness! If it helps one person then it’s all the more worth it!

I’m excited to keep this thread going in the next little bit. Lots of home projects taking all my time, but almost finished with my shop so it will be much easier to restart the thread! Hope you Have a great new year and stay warm! Our cold snap last week wasn’t as bad as yours was I’m sure ha!
EF79F928-6E2E-420C-A5F1-01966EFEA60A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom