First Landcruiser, rust and wind noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought this 01 Landcruiser with 220k miles with clean carfax, recent expensive maintenance (receipts for $5400 on ABS and timing belt), nice paint/body, and runs great for 11k. I inspected it when I bought it and obviously didn’t check all the spots. Was a 3 hour drive and I was excited, so overlooked what looks like some really gnarly rust on the rear of the body.

I also notice the wind noise is kinda bad and have been doing some reading on potential windshield problems. Are LX470’s quieter?

is it worth dealing with the rust or would I be better off selling it back off and finding something in better condition? I figured I’d have to cut out that part of the body. Never dealt with rust before. I sprayed some ospho on some parts of the rear bumper area already but it’s rotted out on the 2 rear body panels.

I’m in lower AL and for 11k seemed like a great buy, but now I’m wondering if I should have looked at something newer with higher miles. I just see 03+ going for 15k+ with the same miles.

IMG_1498.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

If it's not a factory windshield, the wind noise is almost guaranteed to be an improper glass install. Many write ups here on how to fix it. Get the rivets, the moldings and trim pcs, and it'll shut the noise up.

As for rust, it depends. That's gonna catch attention down here if you ever need to sell it. Then again, if you plan to keep it forever and it isn't bothering you then so be it.

The wind noise could also be worn door and window seals, which are all available. I agree the rust will make it hard to sell later in the south, and as a Texas guy I would have passed.

Rust doesn't look terrible, but I'm biased being in PA.

That rear quarter panel is a classic spot for rust to eat. I think a couple guys have managed to fix it, this post from @WreckDiver1321 comes to mind: Sandy: 2003 Land Cruiser 100 Series Rebuild & Upgrade Thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sandy-2003-land-cruiser-100-series-rebuild-upgrade-thread.1247558/page-2#post-13984994
And @TreatSmash recently posted about it: People that know about rust please offer advice. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/people-that-know-about-rust-please-offer-advice.1308509/

Wind noise is annoying, definitely look into getting your windshield replaced by someone other than safelite and use toyota parts.

We've seen this happen before. It bites but is fixable. It just takes time and patience. I bought a rusty 100 a few months ago. I knew what I was getting into though. Being a 1st gen Tacoma owner, I've cleaned up a frame. Things that work.

1) Harbor Freight Sand Blaster

1685645769885.png

2) Milwaukee Angle Drill with a wire wheel.

1685645827333.png

3) Mini Inductor coil flameless heating kit

Amazon product ASIN B09CPX851W
4) Rent a gasoline powered air compressor from Home Depot for a weekend to run the sand blaster. It makes short work of a blasting project to have enough air pressure.

1685646147974.png

These mini-induction heaters work like something from outer space. Got rust? No problem.

My first LX (had) and my current LC has wind noise on the right side a-pillar from a "less than perfect" windshield installation. It was annoying. The strange thing is the noise went away after a Safari snorkel installation on the LX. It seems the snorkel deflects the wind away from the part of the windshield seam that was causing the noise.

I will try this on the LC in a few months.

Last edited:
Rust doesn't look terrible, but I'm biased being in PA.

That rear quarter panel is a classic spot for rust to eat. I think a couple guys have managed to fix it, this post from @WreckDiver1321 comes to mind: Sandy: 2003 Land Cruiser 100 Series Rebuild & Upgrade Thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sandy-2003-land-cruiser-100-series-rebuild-upgrade-thread.1247558/page-2#post-13984994
And @TreatSmash recently posted about it: People that know about rust please offer advice. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/people-that-know-about-rust-please-offer-advice.1308509/

Wind noise is annoying, definitely look into getting your windshield replaced by someone other than safelite and use toyota parts.
Thanks for the replies guys and great links @OwnerCS

Those were some good reads, Red Beard. I guess my hang-up was mainly with the rear quarter panels. I was hoping I could just cut them out; I don't have any experience fabbing panels

Are you guys seeing better-condition Landcruisers/LX470's in the 12k price range?

Thanks for the replies guys and great links @OwnerCS

Those were some good reads, Red Beard. I guess my hang-up was mainly with the rear quarter panels. I was hoping I could just cut them out; I don't have any experience fabbing panels

Are you guys seeing better-condition Landcruisers/LX470's in the 12k price range?

All day in TX

If you seal up the holes and grease the heck out of everything, the rust will not progress. It sounds like the rest of the truck is pretty sound and you can't see the rust from a casual glance.

I would address the rust (again, with greasing and sealing up cavities to keep out dirt) and drive it.

I think a lot depends on how well a given 100 was serviced and cared for by the owners.

My LX has a pristine underside at 230,000 miles when I bought it

But it was a TX truck that had damage from the sun, heat, and flooding.

1) Cooked dash with heat spots.
2) Gearshift leather was shredded.
3) Leather seats had extreme wear.
4) Instrument cluster required a rebuild. Most likely heat damage through the years.
5) Sunroof is inoperable.
6) Power door locks are inoperable -- more than just actuators.
7) Paint on mirrors peeling.
8) Paint on the bumpers was peeling.
9) Roof rack paint was peeling and anything plastic was cracking
10) Paint on the vinyl cladding was peeling.
11) Excessive amount of mud under the carpets. (possibly a flood vehicle)
12) AHC had multiple problems.
13) Nakamichi stereo had problems
14) Every balljoint, tie rod, and bushing urgently needed to be replaced.
15) The HVAC LCD controls had problems.
16) The tailgate had a big rust spot. The attempted fix didn't last. It still has a rust issue but I think it is manageable.

After I spent $15,000 to $17,000 fixing and or replacing most of everything listed above, it was a great truck. Though everything electrical except the instrument panel still had problems.

The LC at 320,000 miles has great paint, leather, electronics, sunroof, door locks, JBL sound system and everything works. The paint looks great. The leather seats are nice. It drives like a dream. The only urgent item that I need to replace is the rusted-out fuel tank.

So the LC has some rust that I can correct on my schedule.

The previous LC owners had their dealer services performed on a regular 7,000-mile schedule.

When you get into 20+-year-old vehicles with over 200,000 miles, anything can happen.

Last edited:
If it's not a factory windshield, the wind noise is almost guaranteed to be an improper glass install. Many write ups here on how to fix it. Get the rivets, the moldings and trim pcs, and it'll shut the noise up.

As for rust, it depends. That's gonna catch attention down here if you ever need to sell it. Then again, if you plan to keep it forever and it isn't bothering you then so be it.
Is this where the rivets everyone is taking about supposed to be? They’re present on the passenger side but no rivers or screws to speak of on the drivers side. I hope that’s it.

IMG_1514.jpeg

Is this where the rivets everyone is taking about supposed to be? They’re present on the passenger side but no rivers or screws to speak of on the drivers side. I hope that’s it.

View attachment 3338060
Yep. And there should be a moulding that lays inside that channel too

It can all be saved. My 99 was starting cancer as well. But it's saveable if you catch it early.

20230325_165026.jpg

20230501_120049.jpg

20230603_134029.jpg

20230603_134100.jpg

My windshield was improperly installed previously as well. Thats what started this all rolling. Save it all or let it go. Needed a new windshield and nobody would touch it do to the shoddy replacement job. All new and properly done now.

20230501_115932.jpg

20230603_135839.jpg

My 01 also has wind noise. It was missing the left inboard channel trim so I got one and installed it, but it didn’t help. I learned to live with the noise. But I’m pretty sure the windshield was replaced by previous owner.

What did that end up costing?
Just under 3k. The windshield was the majority of that. Metal repair, paint, new oem trim for the windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom