First impressions and advice - Build/fix items (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my car for probably its first off-road experience, how do I know? There weren't any scratches on the paint whatsoever..It had been a beach car before this. It did well at Flagpole, Virginia...I did learn a few things. Some pics and impressions below, but this thread is focused on what I need to do next.

1. The car kept bottoming out...I have the Bilstein 46-1477/48 on it, I think it's time for an upgrade. I do have the tow hitch/bar and the edge did get bent a bit, in addition, my spare also hit.
- I am not a big rock crawler, nor do I intend to do much, so I am thinking 2-2.5" Dobinson lift, remove the tow hitch, leave the tire there, and keep my 33's (relatively good tread).
- Running boards..they are about to go, but I'll keep em on there until I can get rock sliders...
2. The speedo/odometer gave out at the end of the trail, the truck only has 176K miles...It seem the issue is the instrument cluster from what I read since both speedo/odo are out..I ordered a spare unit with 180K miles from Detroit today for $75...is it even worth fixing my original? This will add 5K miles to my car, but I can also wait until it hits that mileage and replace it. The guy even threw in 2 brand new belts, (AC + I don't know)
3. Windnoise - The highway wind noise was bad...I used noise cancelling headphones to enjoy the drive up to the trail, but that's not sustainable. I am thinking this is the trim around the windshield that's come off/loose? Should I just get someone to replace the trim with new and reseal? I also had a sunroof visor that I had remove, does that help with wind noise or add more?
4. Shaky mirror - opened her up today, one of the plastic hinges is broken, found fix on the forum, I'll order soon.
5. Carpet - it's pretty nasty, looking to replace with stockinteriors soon...AFTER the sunroof fix (see 6)
6. The sunroof, it leaks...I have cleared the drains, I think it's the seal, there's enough of a gap that large amounts of water can get in, so the drain gets overloaded, I'll take out the sunroof and get a new seal based on the forum's recommendation.
7. Headlights, will get new bulbs..can't see anything at night
8. The 3rd row kept coming off the hanger, the hinges are broken, I haven't researched this yet...any ideas?
9. Power seat fix - Part is in...will work on it as I have time, I was trying to do it at the same time as the carpet so I only have to remove the seat once.
10. Check Engine light - I bought the reader, but my mechanic said it's the coolant temp sensor...
11. Reverse grind, grinds/fails when reversing, putting it in 4L, no issues (found fix this morning on the forum).

There's probably a lot more...but overall it's a great truck...it got me out of some sticky situations on the trail this weekend when I was the only one there.

Welcome to the madness. MUD will make you loose your religion and force you to worship at the alter of all the vendors and dealerships that will willingly take your money. They are good people. Me, I am an enabler and I would love to see you fork over thousands of dollars for new parts to add to your truck. I say that because I will wait years for you to tire of the accessories, only to swoop in and pay a fraction of retail. I kid, but do I?

Stop where you are. Baseline the rig first. Get to know the idiocincricies of your new to you 24 year old vehicle (correct my math as needed). Off-roading can mean different things to different people. Figure out your stated needs and go from there. Make a plan, budget for chaos to step in (double your budget as a minimum), and buy some good tools. Beer and pizza go a long way to getting other cruiserheads to show up at your doorstep when you need them. Actually, just asking works too.

The 80 series is far more capable in stock form than you realize. I have yet to out drive what it can do. I have never been stuck, merely delayed.

Leave the tow hitch. It will take the abuse better than the rear bumper.

Lift is a matter of preference. I did the stock kit from Dobinson’s and got way more height than I anticipated.

Bottoming out on the running boards is to be expected, loose them ASAP. Front bolt needs a ratcheting wrench, ask me how I know…

Leaking sunroof is usually clogged drain vents. Get some week wacker line and clean them out. Check the bottom of the rocker panels, they have slits that get clogged up with Lord only knows what.

Carpet. Take out of the rig, power wash. You might be surprised at how well it cleans up.

Plastic hangers on the third row are all broken by now. Line up the catch that is on the seat to the rings on the floor.

Check engine light will be on the entire time you own the rig. I think they come that way from the PO (previous owner). The scanner will help lift throwing parts at the rig unnecessarily.

Phew, all that and I didn’t even read your other post yet.

Welcome to the madness. MUD will make you loose your religion and force you to worship at the alter of all the vendors and dealerships that will willingly take your money. They are good people. Me, I am an enabler and I would love to see you fork over thousands of dollars for new parts to add to your truck. I say that because I will wait years for you to tire of the accessories, only to swoop in and pay a fraction of retail. I kid, but do I?

Stop where you are. Baseline the rig first. Get to know the idiocincricies of your new to you 24 year old vehicle (correct my math as needed). Off-roading can mean different things to different people. Figure out your stated needs and go from there. Make a plan, budget for chaos to step in (double your budget as a minimum), and buy some good tools. Beer and pizza go a long way to getting other cruiserheads to show up at your doorstep when you need them. Actually, just asking works too.

The 80 series is far more capable in stock form than you realize. I have yet to out drive what it can do. I have never been stuck, merely delayed.

Leave the tow hitch. It will take the abuse better than the rear bumper.

Lift is a matter of preference. I did the stock kit from Dobinson’s and got way more height than I anticipated.

Bottoming out on the running boards is to be expected, loose them ASAP. Front bolt needs a ratcheting wrench, ask me how I know…

Leaking sunroof is usually clogged drain vents. Get some week wacker line and clean them out. Check the bottom of the rocker panels, they have slits that get clogged up with Lord only knows what.

Carpet. Take out of the rig, power wash. You might be surprised at how well it cleans up.

Plastic hangers on the third row are all broken by now. Line up the catch that is on the seat to the rings on the floor.

Check engine light will be on the entire time you own the rig. I think they come that way from the PO (previous owner). The scanner will help lift throwing parts at the rig unnecessarily.

Phew, all that and I didn’t even read your other post yet.
Thanks - truly appreciate the honest advice!

Agreed ^^^

In regards to speedo, do some more trouble shooting. You may have a loose or broken harness connector under the truck.
I would avoid tearing into the dash to change the cluster until you have exhausted other possibilities.
Often fixes can/will be cheap and low dollar without firing parts canon at every thing. It just takes some trouble shooting.

I would stick to a max 2" lift if you don't intend to go rock crawling.
2" lift and 33s or 35s will go through a heck of a lot of terrain with a decent driver at the wheel, as will stock suspension.
Beyond 2" lift opens a whole can of worms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom