first gen windshield replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright fellas,
finally got all the mechanicals sorted on my truck...(knocking on wood)

when i bought it, i quickly found out that the windshield had been replaced at some point...poorly. there is goop oozing out on the inside everywhere and now it leaks a little in the lower passenger corner. I have been storing it in the garage, so it hasnt been a big deal, but now I want it fixed.

I know insurance will pay for it, but I absolute despise all of those glass-pro type window fix people. Every install I have ever seen is garbage. they never take the time to remove any of the trim on the inside of the truck or remove any of the old sealer, they just pile it on top of what is there. then it goos out over everything much like what i have now.

They do that on new cars, so imagine what they would do on a 25 year old "POS Toyota". They just dont care.

So I was wondering about doing it myself. It appears as though there is a gasket available from toyota, not the seal ****. is this true? Has anyone done this by themselves? how hard is it?
I know the glass will most likely break, but I have accepted that.
windshield.JPG

did some looking on yota tech and came up with an interesting thread. apparently there is a gasket in austrailia that completely eliminates all the trim.

4x4world.com.au

here is one persons response to it though:
"I have installed several with the black flexi trim- 20mm width and with a chrome flexi- just a touch narrower. Both have had great results and hold up over time- 8 plus years for the first I did (chrome). Number one is surface prep- aka rust removal. Proper use of the primers is also top priority, both in the pinchweld area and on the glass- a frit band must be painted on the glass to shield ultraviolet from the adhesive for the older frit free glass- a FW0598 already has the frit on it. Then the molding, with primer, must be glued to the glass, followed by the glass install. Done right it should look as good as brand new vehicles, no glue visible, no corner puckering, molding flat to the body. The gasket option works, but does weaken the structure, not good in an accident or rollover."

here are a couple pics of it installed. check post #56
Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker - Page 3 - YotaTech Forums

did some looking on yota tech and came up with an interesting thread. apparently there is a gasket in austrailia that completely eliminates all the trim.

4x4world.com.au

I remember coming across that years ago but then lost the link. Should get one (or more) of those. Might have to check on shipping and how many they can pack in a box for a decent price then sell the extras.

I would consider that if anyone is interested.

What I want to make sure is that the "dam kit" from Toyota parts zone above is not the same thing as what I am going to buy from Australia and have shipped here. i mean they are priced about the same. I called but of course the parts guys were of no help and couldn't give me a definitive answer.

The only other thing I am worried about is the uv light attacking the new rubber style gasket. As I understand, the entire reasoning for the metal trim on our trucks is to protect the urethane sealant from the uv rays. Then again, the rear windows on pickups are done in a similar fashion. What do you guys think?

Has anyone ever put something like this on their truck?

[Scratching my brain]

As I recall, the windshield on Gen1 trucks is installed much differently than Gen2 trucks.

Gen2 trucks are more like cars with the trim and liquid sealer.

Gen 1 trucks are a rubber gasket with a keyed insert. No liquid sealer or trim. My FJ40 is the same way. It's kind of a PITA, and two people can do it. I think even one person can. You just use the old school string trick to get the gasket installed on the windshield. The keyed insert is what keeps it all together. The drawing you posted doesn't show the key, so maybe on Gen1 trucks it's not used like on the FJ40s.

I'm interested to see how this develops, I'm pulling my windshield and I'd kinda rather have the rubber gasket instead of the goop and trim (that is now no longer available OEM).

My reservation is that FJ60's and 62's have gasketed windshields, and a lot of them leak. Mine leaked in my FJ62, it caused lots of rust in the floor until I discovered it, and it was very difficult to get it to stop leaking.

Did you ever order one of the kits? Just ordered mine from Australia.

pickup,
did you order from the website i described? the 4x4world or whatever?
I talked to them last week and they said that it was still on back order from the manufacturer for at least 2 weeks.

as far as what goes in the 1st vs 2nd gen windshields, mine (88) is definitely gooped in. but i dont know if its supposed to be that way. it was some stupid crap one of the POs did. its oozed out everywhere. probably going to break all the trim trying to get it out.
dont know about 2nd gen.

as far as leaks, i dont think that it will leak if its put in properly. maybe if you wheel the truck and it flexes a whole lot it might develop a leak but i am using this truck as a dd. so it should be fine. cant imagine toyota would manufacture something (especially for use in the outback) that leaks easily.

plus i was planning on liquid urethaning the windshield in using the rubber gasket. that should definitely hold it right??

as far as what goes in the 1st vs 2nd gen windshields, mine (88) is definitely gooped in. but i dont know if its supposed to be that way. it was some stupid crap one of the POs did. its oozed out everywhere. probably going to break all the trim trying to get it out. dont know about 2nd gen.

I'm confused. Are you working on a 88 truck? If so, that is a Gen2.

Gen1 = 1979-1983

oh yeah. sorry i forgot about the pickups.
i mean a first gen 4runner. so yeah, technically the windshield part would be second gen as its the same as the pickups.
my bad

I'm about to have the windshield replaced on the 85 4Runner. I've spoken to the guy that did my 97 Land Cruiser and I'm convinced that he knows what to do with the 4Runner. Fortunately I have a brand new set of trim from Toyota to use (black trim).

nice.
let us know how it turns out and what products he uses.

PGW glass and Dow Betaseal urethane adhesive U418HV. Turned out great and I don't anticipate any problems. I tried to take a photo but the sun is a bit bright at the moment. I'll edit this post later and attach a photo or two.

This particular technician said that he's done many of these early Toyotas and would not recommend a rubber gasket as an alternative. According to him Toyota designed the windshield in these vehicles as structurally integral to the body and that is why they are bonded in with a fairly inelastic material. I'm not touting the info as true or false but thought I pass it along, FWIW.

Of course if they came with a gasket in one country (e.g. Australia) and it's an apples to apples comparison on the bodies then I would assume that it wouldn't make any difference at all. Also IMHO the body looks pretty rigid with or without the windshield.

I do know that the new trim cost me almost $300 through CDan (20% off list IIRC) so if your trim is not in good shape then alternatives are probably worth considering.

Edit: Couple of photos.
P1000851.jpg
P1000852.jpg

Last edited:
I realized that after I had already ordered it and seen another post on yotatech. Oh well, not in a big hurry. I actually just got a windshield put in my truck a couple of weeks ago. Got it installed the typical way, looks good and not gooped in, no leaks. My whole concern is the trim, I didn't want to go back to it. guy who did the install said a universal trim wouldn't work because it would kink in the corners so I was stuck going back to my stock chrome trim. So hopefully this rubber trim will work out, if not maybe a whole new stock trim from Toyota like wardamneagle has.

pickup,
did you order from the website i described? the 4x4world or whatever?
I talked to them last week and they said that it was still on back order from the manufacturer for at least 2 weeks.

as far as what goes in the 1st vs 2nd gen windshields, mine (88) is definitely gooped in. but i dont know if its supposed to be that way. it was some stupid **** one of the POs did. its oozed out everywhere. probably going to break all the trim trying to get it out.
dont know about 2nd gen.

as far as leaks, i dont think that it will leak if its put in properly. maybe if you wheel the truck and it flexes a whole lot it might develop a leak but i am using this truck as a dd. so it should be fine. cant imagine toyota would manufacture something (especially for use in the outback) that leaks easily.

plus i was planning on liquid urethaning the windshield in using the rubber gasket. that should definitely hold it right??

I do know that the new trim cost me almost $300 through CDan (20% off list IIRC) so if your trim is not in good shape then alternatives are probably worth considering.

Wait... are you saying that the trim is still available? I thought it wasn't. What about the clips? My trim is actually still in very good condition, if I can get the clips I will probably just give it a go to try removing it.

My neighbor just finished restoring his '85 Supra (amazing car), so I went and asked him about the trim the other day. He showed me a few tricks, I might give it a try. Cab is coming off the frame this week, I need the windshield pulled.

Wait... are you saying that the trim is still available? I thought it wasn't. What about the clips? My trim is actually still in very good condition, if I can get the clips I will probably just give it a go to try removing it.

My neighbor just finished restoring his '85 Supra (amazing car), so I went and asked him about the trim the other day. He showed me a few tricks, I might give it a try. Cab is coming off the frame this week, I need the windshield pulled.

Clips, trim, and connectors are all still available from Toyota as of last fall. I can probably give you some part numbers if you want them.

OK, I was successful in getting the trim off, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I only broke one black clip, not bad. You just have to be patient, use the FSM as a guide for where the clips are, take your time and not force anything.

But now I'm fighting with pulling the windshield. The mig wire trick is not working, I get about 2" of seal cut and the wire snaps. I've been fighting with it for 2 hours and I have about 8" cut. VERY difficult to get the wire started through the sealant. I don't think this is the original factory windshield (although it does have a TOYOTA tattoo on it), this black stuff is TOUGH. Tried 0.030 and 0.023 wire.

I may just bust the thing and pull out what I can, so I can hammer a sharpened putty knife thru the sealant. I was thinking I could pop a hole thru it with a ball-pien hammer, then cut the rest of the way around with a SawZall and a demo blade.

i guess you could do that, but i would at least lay a big blanket down across the dash so you dont get any tiny pieces rattling around down in the dash through the vents.

or u could possibly scratch up the paint on the cowl. so be careful.

if you do it, definitely bash it with shop vaccuum in hand too to get the few scattered pieces as u pull it out.
it shouldnt shatter at all, but just in case.

The cab is completely stripped, nothing but a sheetmetal shell. Yeah, I will lay a tarp inside to catch the really small stuff.

Ken,

I know it may sound boring to some people but are you planning on posting any pics of your progress?

Thanks,
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom