first gen pickup/hilux gauge cluster housing/size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud,

I have an 81 pickup/hilux DLX and am hoping to replace the gauge cluster with an SR5 style with tachometer. Also my current odometer is broken so there's no real reason not to. Anyway, the question is whether a gauge cluster from an 82 or 83 would fit in my 81? I found one on ebay (see it here) from an 82 but the seller says it won't fit. I was under the impression that the housing for all trucks 79-83 was the same. Anyone know? Thanks a ton!

It will physically fit, but the wiring is different. I believe when Toyota went from the 20R (79-80) to 22R (81-83) is when the wiring changed. So you "could" make it fit, or just look out for a early model "SR5" 4x4 cluster. As you probably know, get your wallet ready.

It will physically fit, but the wiring is different. I believe when Toyota went from the 20R (79-80) to 22R (81-83) is when the wiring changed. So you "could" make it fit, or just look out for a early model "SR5" 4x4 cluster. As you probably know, get your wallet ready.
thanks for the info. if it makes any difference, i have a 22R in my truck, and mine is an 81. that being said, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Well, ask the seller to send you a pic of the rear of the cluster which will show the harness connections. You have a late year 81?

Here's what the back looks like!

1620340910058.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom