First FZJ80, 97 40th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rdcnj

SILVER Star
Threads
Was actually thinking about buying a truck from the classified on this forum before this ended up on my lap less than an hour from my house. She had one owner for most of her life and her recent owner kept her parked more than anything. For the age and mileage it's in exceptional condition in and out, but needs an overhaul if I want to get 5-10 years out of life out of it.

We're a little busy at the shop at the moment so this will have to wait for lift time, but once it does get on the lift I'll be updating with plenty of photos to document the trip back to proper driving form. Then, select upgrades to take trips with my son.

The goal is to do compression and leak down test to establish a baseline for day 1 of ownership.
Perform full fluid services
Perform gasket services
Strip undercarriage as much as possible and coat to protect
Overhaul front and rear suspension - not planning extreme stuff so unsure about lifting.
Overhaul front and rear differential axles as necessary

Drive it this summer, make a plan for any upgrades or extras for next winter.

Looking forward to feedback as I get her back to driving shape over the next few months.

but needs an overhaul if I want to get 5-10 years out of life out of it.

5-10 years??? How hard are you planning on abusing this thing?

5-10 years??? How hard are you planning on abusing this thing?

Not at all. But I'm in the business of trying to do things once and not dragging them out over years. So when I buy vehicles for myself, especially of this age and mileage... I like to address the gaskets (engine, drivetrain), refresh all the fluids with quality replacements, replace every suspension bushing known to man, and brakes. That way, when I'm addressing issues that may crop up... I've already eliminated a large set of variables with my "starter" maintenance and repairs.

This the mentality of a guy that runs a shop and can't afford to keep a lift open for his personal vehicles. So it goes on twice. First for inspection, then for the work. Work can and will take 2-3 weeks. Don't want to lose lift time for another 5 years for anything but oil change, tire rotations and brakes after spending the money and time the first time.

Adapted mentality from a guy who works on fixing other people's vehicle problems for a lifetime.

Do you mind sharing some additional pictures and details of the sale? Always looking for comparable data for these rigs. Haha. Congrats on your truck!!!!!!!!

Miles?
Price?
AE Number?
...for the record.

Miles - 206,xxx
Price - Not disclosing
AE Number - Pardon the idiot in the room... but where does one find such a number?

Do you mind sharing some additional pictures and details of the sale? Always looking for comparable data for these rigs. Haha. Congrats on your truck!!!!!!!!

I will upload more photos soon. As for the price, I will only disclose that my sale won't help anyone sell an 80 for a high dollar amount, anytime soon. In comparison to what I'm seeing some of the asking prices and condition, I may have gotten the deal of a lifetime or the drivetrain is going to drop out of the truck tomorrow because I missed something catastrophic.

Not at all. But I'm in the business of trying to do things once and not dragging them out over years. So when I buy vehicles for myself, especially of this age and mileage... I like to address the gaskets (engine, drivetrain), refresh all the fluids with quality replacements, replace every suspension bushing known to man, and brakes. That way, when I'm addressing issues that may crop up... I've already eliminated a large set of variables with my "starter" maintenance and repairs.

This the mentality of a guy that runs a shop and can't afford to keep a lift open for his personal vehicles. So it goes on twice. First for inspection, then for the work. Work can and will take 2-3 weeks. Don't want to lose lift time for another 5 years for anything but oil change, tire rotations and brakes after spending the money and time the first time.

Adapted mentality from a guy who works on fixing other people's vehicle problems for a lifetime.

What I'm commenting on is the statement that you'll only be able to get "5 to 10 years of life after overhaul. I would guess you can get 5 years without touching the truck. If you do all your implying then i can understand why you think it would be at the end of its life.

What I'm commenting on is the statement that you'll only be able to get "5 to 10 years of life after overhaul. I would guess you can get 5 years without touching the truck. If you do all your implying then i can understand why you think it would be at the end of its life.

Not implying I would only get that amount of time, want to set it up to get at least that amount of time and use with minimal down time.

I’m guessing “AE Number” refers to the 40th Anniversary Special Edition number...located on the badge on the center console, if still present.

Ah... now that makes so much sense... I do feel like the idiot. I swear I saw the badge, but I'm not sure now. I'll check again tomorrow.

Attached photos from the sale ad that are reflective of the condition for the most part. Little bit of driver side seat wear not really shown in the sellers photos.

2019-01-09 19.43.19.jpg

2019-01-09 19.42.37.jpg

2019-01-09 19.42.46.jpg

2019-01-09 19.42.49.jpg

2019-01-09 19.42.52.jpg

Ah... now that makes so much sense... I do feel like the idiot. I swear I saw the badge, but I'm not sure now. I'll check again tomorrow.
...don't, sorry I wasn't more specific.
Btw, I didn't see it in your pictures..

Looks like a really clean rig!!!!! Congrats again!!

Attached photos from the sale ad that are reflective of the condition for the most part. Little bit of driver side seat wear not really shown in the sellers photos.

View attachment 1884539

View attachment 1884540

View attachment 1884541

View attachment 1884542

View attachment 1884543

I think the AE Number is on a small plate on the top of the center console if I recall correctly. Might be that little oval spot on the console......or where it USED to be.

great find. number should be on a plate on the flat part to the right of the High/Lo shifter. love the old school cell phone. lockers?

I see the badges on the side that say 40th not collectors and we welcome you to the money pit club, and you should tell us how much you paid, because we accept a victory or loss as the LC people :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom