First foray into a vintage Cruiser....1987 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@MDH33 what roof rack and rear bumper setup do you have on your 60?

I just have 3 Yakima bars on my roof to clamp my RTT too. If you're in the market for a full rack, check out Gamiviti

My rear bumper is by Slee but I'm not sure they offer the FJ60 bumper anymore, which is a shame because their stuff is really nice.

Nice looking truck. Welcome to MUD :flipoff2:(official greeting)

The stock distributor was replaced with a non-usa dissy or possibly aftermarket dissy. Also, the coil is one I'm not familiar with. Maybe if you get a chance, can you take and post a few high-res pix, please?

Also, I would strongly suggest a silver star subscription so you can post lots of pix and avoid all the pop-ads. At 20 bux/year it's well worth it and you'll save buckets of money and time with people being able to answer your questions faster and more precisely.

(click on your user name and go to 'account upgrades' and choose your weapon).

ToyotaMatt s website: VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/

Nice looking truck. Welcome to MUD :flipoff2:(official greeting)

The stock distributor was replaced with a non-usa dissy or possibly aftermarket dissy. Also, the coil is one I'm not familiar with. Maybe if you get a chance, can you take and post a few high-res pix, please?

Also, I would strongly suggest a silver star subscription so you can post lots of pix and avoid all the pop-ads. At 20 bux/year it's well worth it and you'll save buckets of money and time with people being able to answer your questions faster and more precisely.

(click on your user name and go to 'account upgrades' and choose your weapon).

ToyotaMatt s website: VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/
Will def get a silver star subscription set up soon and will try to get those pics of distributor and coil too.

Sure looks like a non-US distributor to me. A photo under the distributor cap with the rotor off will help. There should also be a foil label on the side of the distributor with the part number, it will start with "19100-", that number will also help. BTW, I'm selling refurbished FJ60 distributors with new Toyota vacuum advancers if you want to go back to stock. I also have one or two used FJ60 coils and igniters.

Last edited:
Sure looks like a non-US distributor to me. A photo under the distributor cap with the rotor off will help. There should also be a foil label on the side of the distributor with the part number, it will start with "19100-", that number will also help. BTW, I'm selling refurbished FJ60 distributors with new Toyota vacuum advancers if you want to go back to stock. I also have one or two used FJ60 coils and igniters.
I'll try to get a good pic of that tomorrow. Just got back from picking my daughter up and hitting back to work for the time being. Thanks again for all the info so far.

I also discovered today that my truck is dieseling a little bit when I shut her down. I've noticed it a couple of times when she's really warmed up. My idle is currently sitting around 1000 rpm. I'm wondering if it has to do with my idle adjustment of possibly the timing. Both of which I'm gonna have to read up on to figure out how to adjust them. If anyone has any thoughts on what may be causing it, any input or starting points would be appreciated.

Your truck will have a propensity to run-on or 'Diesel' because of the Weber Carb. The Stock Aisan carburetor or the available aftermarket clones of that carb have a device called an Idle Control Solenoid or ICS that cuts off fuel when the key is turned off, specifically to eliminate dieseling. The Web does not have an ICS.

Your truck will have a propensity to run-on or 'Diesel' because of the Weber Carb. The Stock Aisan carburetor or the available aftermarket clones of that carb have a device called an Idle Control Solenoid or ICS that cuts off fuel when the key is turned off, specifically to eliminate dieseling. The Web does not have an ICS.
So I guess my dumb question here would be, is this hurting anything on the engine?

So I guess my dumb question here would be, is this hurting anything on the engine?

No, it's just annoying and polluting and embarrassing :shame:. Pop the clutch when turning off the key to end the dieseling (foot on brake ... :)🦶)

Love it! Yes, I need to get those pedal covers. My boots were slick on the pedals after walking through the snow this past week. Thanks for the heads up on those.
Still available from Toyota as well. Just replaced mine, too. Looks like a nice rig with all the bells and whistles you could want/need. Welcome to the black hole of googling 10-digit numbers and spending absurd amounts of money on pieces of rubber and plastic. You’re in good company.

Great looking truck and welcome to a whole new world that has the potential to cause certain levels of buyer's remorse, self-doubt, and anxiety...but ultimately results in an immense sense of independence and overwhelming personal satisfaction.

I got into this game about a year and a half ago with minimal experience turning a wrench on a vehicle. Everyone else that has responded has given you the same advice they gave me....listen to them...it's solid. I'm not sure I could think of a better vehicle to learn this stuff on. PDF or hardcopy, get a copy of the service manual and start getting familiar with the sections. If you get a 10,12,14mm wrenches/sockets, and a torque wrench, you're covered for like 90% of what you need to do most jobs!

Beware though ...it starts with one and seems so innocent; I went from 1 to 3 very quickly. It can unexpectedly grow to what some people call and "obsession", especially since it sounds like your wife might be an enabler!

Still available from Toyota as well. Just replaced mine, too. Looks like a nice rig with all the bells and whistles you could want/need. Welcome to the black hole of googling 10-digit numbers and spending absurd amounts of money on pieces of rubber and plastic. You’re in good company.
Gawd, when you put it like that.....

Great looking truck and welcome to a whole new world that has the potential to cause certain levels of buyer's remorse, self-doubt, and anxiety...but ultimately results in an immense sense of independence and overwhelming personal satisfaction.

I got into this game about a year and a half ago with minimal experience turning a wrench on a vehicle. Everyone else that has responded has given you the same advice they gave me....listen to them...it's solid. I'm not sure I could think of a better vehicle to learn this stuff on. PDF or hardcopy, get a copy of the service manual and start getting familiar with the sections. If you get a 10,12,14mm wrenches/sockets, and a torque wrench, you're covered for like 90% of what you need to do most jobs!

Beware though ...it starts with one and seems so innocent; I went from 1 to 3 very quickly. It can unexpectedly grow to what some people call and "obsession", especially since it sounds like your wife might be an enabler!
Gawd, when you put it like that.....

Ha! Like I need another thing to spend money on.....between motorcycles, Land Cruisers, and music gear.....I'm never going to have any money in the bank again. Ehhh....oh well. Can't take it with you, right?

I'm already making a list of stuff to check, work on, and buy for this truck. Light switch contacts, timing, idle speed, rear bumper/spare tire carrier, roof rack.....I'm sure this list will continue to grow exponentially.

What major things do I need to keep up on maintenance wise and how hard are these to wrench on if you have limited mechanical knowledge and even less tool availability?

Welcome! Beautiful truck.

To answer your question, it's not hard. I'm proof!

Besides Mud I've found this site very helpful TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 60FJ60LG-KA - TOOL-ENGINE-FUEL - | Japan Parts EU - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/1986/land-cruiser-60/fj60lg-ka/4_791420_004_/tool-engine-fuel

Once armed with the part # google is your friend (and try appending "site:ih8mud.com")

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom