First fj62. Wheel turning too far and binding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still turning axles, lot of mass. Mine does the same thing. These aren’t all wheel drive, I even rarely drive with hubs locked in winter unless it’s below highway speed and I know I need them.
My springs bang and bind too. Oh well, problem solved.
thanks again. have a good night

Ah. I misread the first post. I was reading the scuffing as contact with the body vs scuffing from locked hubs. Good catch on that fix.

Still turning axles, lot of mass. Mine does the same thing. These aren’t all wheel drive, I even rarely drive with hubs locked in winter unless it’s below highway speed and I know I need them.
My springs bang and bind too. Oh well, problem solved.
Ah. I misread the first post. I was reading the scuffing as contact with the body vs scuffing from locked hubs. Good catch on that fix.
Yeah man, it was that “sliding/binding” part that made it about the hub. I love seeing a problem fixed and people helping others. Thanks for gettin the ball rollin.

Normally having the hubs locked will not cause performance problems, only additional wear and tear on the front driveline and poorer mileage. That is with an open front diff.

With a locked front diff both front wheels turn at the same speed all the time, even when turning.
Ergo, when turning with the hubs locked, one wheel will HAVE to scuff because it is travelling a different distance than the other wheel.
Off road you don't notice it because you usually are on low traction surfaces.

If you know the PO, ask them what type of front diff you have. Maybe you lucked out and have a locker.

Normally having the hubs locked will not cause performance problems, only additional wear and tear on the front driveline and poorer mileage. That is with an open front diff.

With a locked front diff both front wheels turn at the same speed all the time, even when turning.
Ergo, when turning with the hubs locked, one wheel will HAVE to scuff because it is travelling a different distance than the other wheel.
Off road you don't notice it because you usually are on low traction surfaces.

If you know the PO, ask them what type of front diff you have. Maybe you lucked out and have a locker.
I do know him. It was one of those sales where you make friends with the guy and he’s happy you’re taking the rig because he knows it’s gonna be a ok. It’s a rebuilt original. Non locker. Thanks for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom