First fj62. Wheel turning too far and binding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I’ve just picked up a real sweet fj62. Solid as all get out and quite a few issue to go through. I’m not a very good mechanic but I’m going to be using this rig to acquire the knowledge I want. So the first thing I’ve noticed is a strange clunk when making a tight turn. Both left and right. When stopped, I crank the steeering wheel both directions and no sound. When rolling it s almost as though the tires are overturning. I’ve seen scuffs on the tires that appear to indicate the tires are almost sliding/biting as it moves forward. Has anyone had this issue or seen this anywhere on the forum? Thanks in advance for your time and I hope to learn a ton from the wealth of knowledge on this site.

Welcome! What wheels/tires does your truck have? Feel free to post photos.

Welcome! What wheels/tires does your truck have? Feel free to post photos.
ok. I’ve got these 31 ” Baja champions on these rims. Thanks again for the help.

0858BE97-77E1-4F45-9DE6-81189E5FE5F1.jpeg

Post pics of the inside of the knuckles. I wonder if your stops have broken off

Those tires/size should not be a fit issue. Sounds like some mechanical issue like with the stops as mentioned above

Those tires/size should not be a fit issue. Sounds like some mechanical issue like with the stops as mentioned above
I’ll check when I get home. I agree with the fit not being an issue. The stops on the 62 are just bolts right?

Ok cool. I had my wife run out there and take another photo. Drivers side appears to have the bolt and the stop. She only sent the drivers side and I don’t wanna driver her nuts going in and out of the house. I’ll report back with the passenger side in the next couple of hours. Biggest issue is when turning left so that would be the passenger side stop assembly correct?

8D63B12F-945A-4B08-95C5-78F600FBDD07.jpeg

Ok cool. I had my wife run out there and take another photo. Drivers side appears to have the bolt and the stop. She only sent the drivers side and I don’t wanna driver her nuts going in and out of the house. I’ll report back with the passenger side in the next couple of hours. Biggest issue is when turning left so that would be the passenger side stop assembly correct?

Logic sounds correct. Even if the bolt is there maybe its not adjusted properly....I've never adjusted these things but I suspect the Factory Shop Manual explains how they should be set.

Ok. Just got home and checked it out. Passenger side is the same as drivers (stop is there and so is the adjustment bolt) checked tie rods to make sure they’re the proper length and they are. So now it’s to the manual for stopper bolt adjustment. Thanks all

Those symptoms appear when the front diff is locked and you are on a hard surface.

Do you have a locker/limited slip in the front?
Are the hubs locked?

ok. I’ve got these 31 ” Baja champions on these rims. Thanks again for the help.

View attachment 2005843
Those symptoms appear when the front diff is locked and you are on a hard surface.

Are the hubs locked?

If you look carefully, in the pic. The hub is LOCK. Also, check them both in case only one is locked.
Could be?

If you look carefully, in the pic. The hub is LOCK. Also, check them both in case only one is locked.
Could be?
I just went out and double checked. Both hubs are locked. I just marked a line with tape on the ground in line with the tires while straight. Then I cranked the tires both directions and marked their final position. I compared both their angles and can see that the drivers side is opening up it’s turn radius by somewhere in the 6-8 degrees more range. I’m gonna jump on my online repair manual now that my daughters done with whatever goes on on there.

75A8C20C-2574-4BFF-83E9-5FE589B04372.jpeg

Are the hubs locked?
And they are locked. I have no issue with u locking them if that could be causing a ruckus on the asphalt. I had been reading that I didn’t really matter as long as you weren’t in 4 wheel drive.

Unlock them, take it for a drive first.
ok cruiserpilot...your idea of unlocking them was the ticket. smooth as heck and right as rain. so with that being the solution, whats the reason that happens? i was under the false impression that you could have them locked all the time. thanks again.

Are the hubs locked?
im not sure which of you guys was the first to call out locked hubs being the issue. while viewing on my phone the sequence comes to me kinda funny. i know you mentioned it so i wanted to say thanks. unlocking the hubs was the solution. made my day amigo!

Still turning axles, lot of mass. Mine does the same thing. These aren’t all wheel drive, I even rarely drive with hubs locked in winter unless it’s below highway speed and I know I need them.
My springs bang and bind too. Oh well, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom