First fj62!! I thnk the head is cracked. Please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
He guys I just got home a few minutes ago with the new land cruiser. Man I love the auto with fuel injection. Anyway I used 2 gallons of coolant in a 7 hour drive. Yikes!! before I bought the car I pressure tested the system at 10 PSi and it held great. The oil looked clean no milky residue. The compression was up above 155 in all the cylinders as well except #2 had 140. I checked the oil fill cap before I left and it was clean, with no sludge. Half way home I checked the cap again and there was milky water sludge inside the cap and around the neck area, and 1 was 1 gallon low on coolant. I just got home and I was another gallon low on coolant!!!:mad: I pressurized the system to 19 PSI and I can not find a single darn leak. However once again the oil fill cap had fresh water drops inside along with the filler necK.:crybaby: I hooked up a combustion leak tester (the type with the blue fluid that turns yellow) to the radiator fill and ran the car hot for over five minutes and there was no exhaust gas in the fluid. It also means that the head gasket is not leaking I then hooked up my radiatir pressure tester with the car hot and running and it will climb to around 17 PSI and hold steady!!. I rechecked all the hoses that I could see and I couldnt find any culperits. I paid close attention to the two inside heaters all the way home for the sweet smell of radiator fluid and also the tell tale signs on the front widow defrost. No signs were present!! dang!! All the signs are pointing to a pin hole leak that is under the valve cover and is being sucked into the negative pressure intake PVC hoses. The only tell tale sign of water that I can find is inside the oil fill cap. No water in the oil. And no mist or drips from the exhaust. Has anybody ever had this problem? Any and all input would be appreciated.

I had a very difficult to track down coolant leak in my FJ-62. Turns out that the head had cracked in one of the coolant passages. Hopefully this is not your problem.

Ditto here on a 62 series my wife had. if I recall, a crack in the head that allowed coolant to be sucked into the intak passage and burned off.

Sucks...

That is exactly what I am finding, I think. No water in the oil, Just on the oil fill. I am going to pull the valve cover and see if theinside of the cover is the same, Then try pressurizing the system with the cover off and run it. So where did you guys get a heads from? A used one seems like it may be a bad idea? What do you think?

People have used heads for sale pretty regularly, i wouldnt be too worried about using them, i might tell the seller that you want to be able to send it back if you get it magnafluxed and find a crack. I imagine a dealer like cruiserparts might magnaflux all their heads to make sure they are good cores.

If you figure out that it is the head, get a new one. I went through three used heads before I found one that wasn't cracked.

Crashly,

Where are you located? I regularly purchase through Cabe Toyota in long Beach. Mike Bingham was the parts department manager and was giving TLCA discounts. Mike is now managing the body shop there, but can probably still help you.

Good Luck

Don

Cruiser parts just called me back and they want 450 Delivered for a head. Then I will probably be into it anther 200 to have it magnafluxed and rebuilt. I am located in San Diego, With the long beach connection any idea on the price?

Give them a call and ask for Mike. Explain your association with TLCA, ask if he will extend a discount. I believe I paid about $450 for a new bare head 3-4 years ago. It still needed to be assembled with valves/springs/etc.

Don

450 for a bare head is a great price. I just called and Mike will not be back until tommorow.

CDAN is in Moab for the CM07. He is the guy to get it from though.

450 for a bare head is a great price. I just called and Mike will not be back until tommorow.

I just pulled the valve cover and there is 1/8" of water oil goo inside the valve cover. I suspect that from how thick it is and the coverage that this has been going on fo awhile. What do you guys think? I wish I could post some pictures

why not post some pics?

Hers the pictures what do you think? 1996 Suburban 063 (Medium).jpg 1996 Suburban 064 (Medium).jpg
1996 Suburban 063 (Medium).jpg
1996 Suburban 064 (Medium).jpg

Check out the inside of this Valve cover

These are the follow up pictures to the 3fe head problem that was ina earlier post. Any thoughts? 1996 Suburban 063 (Medium).jpg 1996 Suburban 064 (Medium).jpg
1996 Suburban 063 (Medium).jpg
1996 Suburban 064 (Medium).jpg

So the previous owner ( PO ) wiped the sluge off the oil cap before you came over to purchase the vehicle?:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom