First FJ40: Welcome to Project Neglected (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting those interior pictures. My FJ40 is a 1969 and I have to admit that by 1983 , Toyota was really making a solid truck with nicer features inside.
LOL, I try to stick with the 67 and earlier when possible....you know, the "not so nice" ones ;)

LOL, I try to stick with the 67 and earlier when possible....you know, the "not so nice" ones ;)

I certainly can agree as I also have a 1965 FJ45. What is nice about the later models as this post shows, are really nice things like the dash has a very convenient access panel to get to the switches. For me, I have to contort myself into awkward positions to do some of that. I never even was around a 1983 except for images. I would love to side by side do a comparison of the two.

Waiting on a few items to arrive, but almost there :bounce:

7.JPEG

8.JPEG

Congrats on owning a rare piece of Landcruiser history in the US.I look forward to the updates.

Reactions: afa
Welcome to Mud!

I would choose Jim C (TLC Performance) over Man-a-fre. Top notch products and great service (although he can get quite busy at times).

Looks like a solid enough basis to start with.

That's a pretty half-assed de-smog; removed the air injection pump (and just cut off the lines near the head and hammered them shut) but not the EGR. Won't be that much work to clean up. Jim C. @FJ40Jim sells the correct air rail hole plugs and other stuff you will need for a proper de-smog.

Where in Texas are you? There are a fair number of 40's all over the state represented here on Mud.

Good luck with your build and have fun with it in any event.

Just got a complete kit from TLC Performance delivered. Any tips you guys can offer? I'll be working on this over the weekend. Should I use any kind of loctite for the air rail plugs?

Thanks!

Just got a complete kit from TLC Performance delivered. Any tips you guys can offer? I'll be working on this over the weekend.

Since you have a late 2F, these two threads will help you a lot:

My Desmog Keeping HAC Lots of Pics

The Definitive 79-80 Desmog Guide

The first one is the most up to date in my opinion.

Should I use any kind of loctite for the air rail plugs?

I used some high-temp thread sealant made by either Loctite or Permatex; let me see if I can find it.

This:
Amazon product ASIN B0002UEOP0
12 years since I did my desmog, and the air rail plugs have never leaked.

Last edited:
Reactions: afa
Got the air rail plugs fixed! @1911 Thanks for the tip :cool:

@FJ40Jim Excellent kit! The plugs went in no problem. Still need to install the EGR blockoff plate, EGR threaded plug, and the pulley. Progress will be slow but I'll get there eventually! :)

Below are the old plugs that came out in order from 1 to 6. Is there anything to worry about with plug 1? Looks like it has some oil on it. Plugs 5 and 6 look almost new (bottom portion of course)!

11.JPEG

9.JPEG

10.JPEG

Is there anything to worry about with plug 1? Looks like it has some oil on it.

What does the #1 spark plug look like? Compression for that cylinder?

Could be as simple as a worn and leaking valve stem guide seal (pretty common in a 2F).

Got the EGR blockoff plate installed this morning. Luckily the bolts came off easily enough, just had to go really slow to make sure none of the bolts or threads broke off. Getting the 2 longer bolts off the EGR cooler was a challenge since both were incredibly rusted. Luckily they came out eventually using a long breaker bar and going really slow.

I also got the fuel pump plate installed which was very easy to do. Sealed it up with RTV.

12.JPEG

13.JPEG

The desmog kit from TLC Performance comes with 2 plugs where the BVSV's go. On a desmog, are these necessary at all? From what I've read on this forum, some members keep one or the other. What is the purpose of these, and should I just plug both of them up? Thanks!

14.JPEG

The desmog kit from TLC Performance comes with 2 plugs where the BVSV's go. On a desmog, are these necessary at all? From what I've read on this forum, some members keep one or the other. What is the purpose of these, and should I just plug both of them up? Thanks!

You'll need one BVSV to properly run the charcoal cannister (to evacuate the fumes into the intake). I don't know if it matters which one; they switch on at slightly different temperatures I believe. I used whichever one wasn't broken on mine, and it works fine.

Here is the Jim C.-blessed desmog schematic that shows how the BVSV switches on the VCV that evacuates the charcoal cannister:

desmog schematic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom