First FJ40: Welcome to Project Neglected (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

afa

Threads
Hello Cruiser Fanatics!

I'd like to introduce my first FJ40 which I acquired roughly a year ago. I mostly browse the 100 and 80 forums, but I figured it's time to put some time and money into my FJ40. I've dubbed this FJ40 projected neglected since I have no idea what the previous owners were thinking when they started messing with it. I don't have much information on the previous history of this FJ40, but I know it spent most of it's life in New York (aka rust). I know it has had at least 2 previous owners, since I have 2 old titles (one of them being the original buyer). I also have the original bill of sale which is cool. Anyways on to the details!

This FJ40 is a US Jan/1983 model. Apparently the previous owners, or someone along the line, attempted to de-smog the vehicle in which they ended up removing all the original equipment. Original carburetor, distributor, ignition coil, air filter housing, etc. was already gone when I purchased it. It wasn't done right as you'll see in future pictures, and they also installed a Weber carburetor. The radiator isn't original either and I don't think the alternator is as well. I've thought long and hard about sourcing all the original parts, but I've decided to upgrade the main components while keeping it somewhat stock (holley sniper, DUI distributor). Feel free to point out anything else that isn't correct!

This will be a long term project but I'm excited to begin and hopefully I'll see you guys on the trail (someday).

IMG_2058 (2).jpeg
IMG_2057.JPEG
IMG_2021.JPEG

:popcorn:

Looks like a solid enough basis to start with.

That's a pretty half-assed de-smog; removed the air injection pump (and just cut off the lines near the head and hammered them shut) but not the EGR. Won't be that much work to clean up. Jim C. @FJ40Jim sells the correct air rail hole plugs and other stuff you will need for a proper de-smog.

Where in Texas are you? There are a fair number of 40's all over the state represented here on Mud.

Good luck with your build and have fun with it in any event.

Looks like a solid enough basis to start with.

That's a pretty half-assed de-smog; removed the air injection pump (and just cut off the lines near the head and hammered them shut) but not the EGR. Won't be that much work to clean up. Jim C. @FJ40Jim sells the correct air rail hole plugs and other stuff you will need for a proper de-smog.

Where in Texas are you? There are a fair number of 40's all over the state represented here on Mud.

Good luck with your build and have fun with it in any event.

Definitely the worst de-smog I've seen. I'm in the DFW area. The picture below has the EGR nut completely rusted shut. I haven't tried to loosen it but would the TLC performance de-smog kit be best for this situation? Or the Man a fre kit? Has anyone used the man a fre kit with success? That's the next thing I'm ordering.

IMG_2038.JPEG

Too bad. Supposedly , a 1983 value is off the charts if it is stock, intact.

This is what I've heard as well. Unfortunately it came like this. I plan to keep this thing for a long time so I'm not thinking too much on resale value for the time being.

This thread needs more pictures.

Soon..;)

Congrats on the late model 40. Did you buy this one in Prosper, TX by chance?

No. Is there one in prosper that is for sale? Do you know what the price is? I'd like to compare what price it's being sold at, to the price I paid. I think I overpaid for mine since it has a bit of rust but who cares :D

Factory PS is a very nice touch. I think your mods/path are fine. EFI will be nice in the heat of Texas, vs. a carb.

Welcome to Mud!

I would choose Jim C (TLC Performance) over Man-a-fre. Top notch products and great service (although he can get quite busy at times).

Definitely the worst de-smog I've seen. I'm in the DFW area. The picture below has the EGR nut completely rusted shut. I haven't tried to loosen it but would the TLC performance de-smog kit be best for this situation? Or the Man a fre kit? Has anyone used the man a fre kit with success? That's the next thing I'm ordering.

View attachment 2422632

All you need from the entire EGR system is the fitting (in your picture) that bolts on the intake manifold. The only reason you need that is because that's where the PCV valve is plumbed into on the other side. So if the EGR modulator nut is rusted on, just take the whole thing off at the intake manifold, cut the tube off that the nut is on, and plug the new hole in the manifold fitting. I plugged mine by welding in a piece of mild steel round stock that was slightly smaller than the ID of the hole where the tube was. Then bolt it back on and re-connect the PCV hose onto the aft tube.

Neither of kits has that part, you need to modify your own.

You will need a block-off plate for the exhaust manifold where the EGR used to get exhaust gas from. I used MAF for that one, but Jim C. may make one too. I used all his other stuff, plugs, caps, and etc.

No. Is there one in prosper that is for sale? Do you know what the price is? I'd like to compare what price it's being sold at, to the price I paid. I think I overpaid for mine since it has a bit of rust but who cares :D

There was one for sale in Prosper for a while in 2019, but I don’t recall what the price was. Looked very similar. Love that blue.

Factory PS is a very nice touch. I think your mods/path are fine. EFI will be nice in the heat of Texas, vs. a carb.

Thanks! It definitely does have PS. I think these mods are the way to go now. I don't think I could source all original parts unfortunately even though this would obviously be my first choice.

Welcome to Mud!

I would choose Jim C (TLC Performance) over Man-a-fre. Top notch products and great service (although he can get quite busy at times).

Thank you! I'll be ordering from him in the next few days!

There was one for sale in Prosper for a while in 2019, but I don’t recall what the price was. Looked very similar. Love that blue.

Had I know about another 83 being sold locally, I would have most likely bought that one instead. Oh well!

All you need from the entire EGR system is the fitting (in your picture) that bolts on the intake manifold. The only reason you need that is because that's where the PCV valve is plumbed into on the other side. So if the EGR modulator nut is rusted on, just take the whole thing off at the intake manifold, cut the tube off that the nut is on, and plug the new hole in the manifold fitting. I plugged mine by welding in a piece of mild steel round stock that was slightly smaller than the ID of the hole where the tube was. Then bolt it back on and re-connect the PCV hose onto the aft tube.

Neither of kits has that part, you need to modify your own.

You will need a block-off plate for the exhaust manifold where the EGR used to get exhaust gas from. I used MAF for that one, but Jim C. may make one too. I used all his other stuff, plugs, caps, and etc.

Thanks brother! I'll keep this in mind once I start tacking the de-smog!

Thanks for posting those interior pictures. My FJ40 is a 1969 and I have to admit that by 1983 , Toyota was really making a solid truck with nicer features inside.

Thanks for posting those interior pictures. My FJ40 is a 1969 and I have to admit that by 1983 , Toyota was really making a solid truck with nicer features inside.

No problem! I'm a fan of the older FJ40's too! This one's gonna need a lot of work to get it up to speed.

In preparation for the eventual sniper install, is the insulator linked below the correct one for my FJ40? It unfortunately didn't come with one.

Do you simply block off the small tube?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom