First Drive - Cross Canada Road Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

F'IN GREAT!!
I gotta stop drinking while reading your story. I've spit Monster & vodka all over my iPad twice laughing my a** off!
What a great family and FJ40 in some beautiful country.
Thanks for sharing!

Great thread!! Great story!! Great family!! Great fish!!

I’m confused by one reference in your ‘73 Chevy SWB story... you said,

“I loved this truck!! I did a lot of work to it including swapping the engine for a 383 stroker that was just magical. I could light up those 36" super swampers like nothing.

I used it to induce pregnancy for my wife when she was pregnant with my son.”

Caveat... I’m 70... perhaps I don’t recall how a pregnancy begins... :hmm:

Are you saying y’all conceived your son in that Chevy? If so, it must have killed your knee... o_O

Or did you use the Chevy to induce labor?

Perhaps visual aids would help... :cool:

Thanks for sharing!!
Hahahahaha

I’m not sure what “old wives tales” you have where you are from for inducing labor. There are a lot where I live. A popular one where I am from is if your wife wants the baby out of her a good way to induce labour is to go on a long drive on a bumpy road.

The nickname for the old Chevy was the “Wiggle Wagon”. Because it rode like a lumber wagon. We lived in the mountains in B.C. and the forestry industry has tons of logging roads.

My wife asked for this drive with both of our kids. The first one with my daughter. Unfortunately at this point was driving Jeep Commander. Which had a really nice suspension. I tried to make up for this by driving fast but it didn’t work. So we went home drank some raspberry tea (another wives tale) and went for a hike (another wives tale) and that did the trick.

For my son she asked to go for a drive again. This time I had the Chevy. We piled in the truck and went on about an hour drive down an old logging road. Later on that night she went into labour.

No babies born in vehicles. Both in a hospital.

Also no knee pain in the Chevy. It was an auto and the bench seat was like sitting on a chesterfield (or couch). 😉

I hope this helps. 😂😂😂

Seriously great thread...
Too bad you can't make as much money driving your 40 and writing tales as you do working in drilling... cause man I could read this stuff all day.
You would have to pay me a lot of money to do another marathon run in this old girl.

That being said I do have a lot of different plans for retirement and one of them is an around the globe trip in a Lancruiser. Would be heavily modified though and by heavily modified I mean a 2035 Lancruiser 😂

Glad you are into the trip though.

There is a seat bracket modification you can do to your 40. It will give you another couple inches or a few centimeters of leg room. You’ll have to search the forum, it is well worth it.

I went ahead and did some searching. I found two threads.

Neither thread does a great job of detailing the process, but it doesn't appear to be all that difficult. I might look into it this weekend. I'm not that tall but I'm definitely cramped in my 40.

Did you get going again? Last I read you were on the side of the road broke down.

Larry in El Paso

I've been on float planes out of Wawa a few times, not a place I'd want to spend much time. ed

Grew up in Buffalo and played many hockey tournaments up in Ontario so I totally get “Ukrainian Tire!” Looks like a millenial spilled gas when filling your tank, then another with “what’s a carburetor?” Our world is in serious trouble. Aside from using their thumbs the next generation is about as usefull as “tits on a bull”. Someone offers a seat extension kit for the drivers seat. We installed one in my brothers ‘76. Worked like a charm, maybe Cruiser Corps or SOR? Been really enjoying your story and can relate to damn near all of it! Cheers!

Oh man seriously!!!! Im in regina on the way. I was on holidays till the 8th i just missed you.

I'm glad you are doing work. I was think you were still in New Brunswick getting chased by bull moose with love in his eyes.:)

Larry in El Paso

Morning of Day 7 - Probably about a thousand steps

I wake up pretty early and go into the bathroom to brush my teeth... Holy s*** did I make a mess of the bathroom last night. Brake fluid everywhere. I grabbed some paper towel and cleaned up as best I could. Brushed my teeth and had a shower. Napa wasn't open yet so I got some coffee and did some more searching on the internet for possible solutions to my problem. Didn't find much new though.

Mcgiver3.jpg

I figured the T100 piston was going to be my best bet so I figured I'd take the time to clean up the cylinder and rod as best I could with the emery paper I picked up from Ukrainian Tire the night before. You can see the pitting on the rod. The cylinder had similar pitting as well. I got everything as clean as I could and by that time Napa opened.

I called old buddy and first asked if he happened to have the entire assembly for the old girl. Buddy has a look in his world machine and tells me the closest one is in Brandon, Manitoba. Yeah that's right, Brandon the same town my fuel pump s*** the bed, oh the irony. Guy tells me the soonest he can get it to Fredericton is 4 days :flush:. I thought about calling Tory, I bet he would buy the part and jump on a plane to hot shot it to me.

Me -"Well if you don't have that would you happen to have a slave assembly for a 1994 T100?" Come on road trip gods!!!! Buddy - "Actually I do have one in stock"

Parts.jpg

Dramatic reenactment of me hearing this great news.

I tell old buddy to put it aside for me and I'll be right over. I google where the Napa is and wouldn't you know it I picked the cheap hotel that is across the highway from the Napa store, good luck again. I get there so fast the guy didn't even have a chance to grab it but he knows exactly who I am and goes and grabs the part. I open the box and although it does look a lot different the body does appear to be about the same size. I ask the guy if he has an air compressor in the shop, he looks at me a bit weird and says yes he does. I ask him if he can use his air compressor to shoot the piston out.

Note: I had a very hard time getting the old piston out of the old part. I was out in the parking lot banging it against a fence post for a good 45 minutes. The people at the hotel probably thought I was going crazy.

Buddy didn't seem real excited about this but he went in the back and got it done. I paid for the part and ran back to my hotel room.

Mcgiver2.jpg

When I got back to the room I compared it with my old piston and sure as s*** the OD was the same. The new one came with a spring. I decided to use the spring as I figured it would give me a good solid return on my clutch peddle (turns out I couldn't really feel any difference but it didn't hurt anything).

mcGiver4.jpg

I lubed everything up nice and good with new clean brake fluid and put it back together. You can see the T100 cylinder and dust boot to the left. I had a new to me slave!!

McGiver.jpg

For $26.55 CAD (That's like $2.50USD) I was back in business. I installed it back in the truck, bled the system with new brake fluid and bobs your uncle the clutch actually works now.

I was so pleased with myself I decided to head next door and get a big old plate of Belgium waffles. While I was eating I checked on Ferry times from Sydney, NS to Port aux Basques, NL. There was a ferry that night which I figured I could make if a boogied. I called the ferry company and booked a reservation for me and the truck.

Now I had a running and driving truck and a belly full of waffles. Time to hammer down!

This thread is amazing. Thank you.

Too bad I didn't know about this. I'm in Fredericton and could have gotten you a slave cylinder, might have had to resort to taking it off my friends 40 but either way we would have gotten you going. Amazing story, please finish it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom