First Cross Country Trip: South Carolina to California. What can I expect/tips for the drive in my '95. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning everyone,

The Navy is having me move from Charleston to San Deigo, but during my 30 days of leave, I plan on stopping in Las Vegas to visit my family. Doing the math, this drive will be approximately 2000 miles. My cruiser is pretty low miles (75,000) so the idea of putting so many miles on it in such a short time pains me. I considered towing it, but after looking at prices, I am gonna drive my cruiser to Vegas with a Uhaul 5x8 in the back. First and foremost, this will be my first time driving cross-country, let alone driving it in the Cruiser. The engine runs well with no issues regarding overheating. To keep this nice and easy to read, I am gonna bullet all my questions and comments. First:

-Will I be putting any unnecessary strain on the cruiser if I drive for about 11 hours each day? (IE: Does driving past a certain number of hours cause issues).

-My brake pads/tires are at the end of their life, should I have those replaced before I leave in 6 days, or should I leave them be to prevent any sort of issue from arising while on the road if they are done wrong.

-I average 12 miles per gallon. While I have the sub-tank system, I was considering buying three 5 gallon gas cans just to be safe. Should I even worry about this or will I be fine with just the main and sub fuel tank.

-Should I have anything inspected/serviced before I make the drive?

-Is there anything I myself should do the cruiser before making the drive?

-Any General Tips/Tricks?

I apologize for such newbie questions, but the past 6 months of owning my cruiser has been such a learning experience, so I am hoping that this trip will teach me even more.

I wouldn’t worry about how many hours you drive it in a day. If everything is working well it shouldn’t matter. I would definitely get the brakes and tires checked out and replaced if needed. You don’t want to get a flat or have an issue stopping when pulling a trailer. As far as other things to check or do: check your accessory belts and bring a spare set if they haven’t been replaced recently, check all of your fluids, coolant, oil, transmission and change if needed. I assume you’ll be on the highway so I wouldn’t be concerned with carrying extra fuel beyond the two tanks. If you have a shop you use and trust have them check everything over for you if you don’t feel confident checking it out yourself. A couple hundred dollars spent having an inspection could save you a lot of trouble on the road in the middle of nowhere in the dark. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Subscribed. Take plenty of cash for fuel and roadside diners. I am taking the trip in a few months to LA. Looking forward to reading about your successful trip.

Well, let's see. We did 7600 miles in 2017 from Jersey to Moab to Vancouver back east across the Trans Canada and dropped into New York after Ottawa.
In 2018 we drove from Jersey around the Gaspe' peninsula. That was about 3400 miles. In 2019 we drove through Nova Scotia and hopped the ferry to Newfoundland. That was about 4600 miles.
In short, no. Driving for 8-12 hours per day is less wear and tear on the vehicle than sitting in stop and go traffic. You're going to need to stop every 300 miles or so for fuel/food/rest room/etc. anyway.
I would make certain that all maintenance has been done before setting out on any trip, but I'm not one to let things go too long without looking.
When we're planning a trip, I give myself some maintenance time broken up by days and what needs to be addressed. I have detailed records of all past maintenance and I know when it's time to replace things.
I carry minimum amounts of spare parts, and a set of hand tools.

Last edited:
Good to do a double inspection of hoses and belts. Replace as needed. Good to do fluid changes if it is time or near, you are better set up for it now than you will be between sc and nv and you won't want to do that stuff while visiting family. Once in ca you will have other things to worry about. I like staying at parks in place of hotels just to see more and have quieter nights so taking advantage of permit options available to you. Carry extra coolant and bunch of distilled water. Good for drinking and the cruiser if needed. Some extra oil and paper towels. If you avoid major cities the drive is nicer. Lots of nice places to see if you are willing to make the stops.

If you don't post pictures of the trip along the way it will be bad luck!

Good Morning everyone,

The Navy is having me move from Charleston to San Deigo, but during my 30 days of leave, I plan on stopping in Las Vegas to visit my family. Doing the math, this drive will be approximately 2000 miles. My cruiser is pretty low miles (75,000) so the idea of putting so many miles on it in such a short time pains me. I considered towing it, but after looking at prices, I am gonna drive my cruiser to Vegas with a Uhaul 5x8 in the back. First and foremost, this will be my first time driving cross-country, let alone driving it in the Cruiser. The engine runs well with no issues regarding overheating. To keep this nice and easy to read, I am gonna bullet all my questions and comments. First:

-Will I be putting any unnecessary strain on the cruiser if I drive for about 11 hours each day? (IE: Does driving past a certain number of hours cause issues).

-My brake pads/tires are at the end of their life, should I have those replaced before I leave in 6 days, or should I leave them be to prevent any sort of issue from arising while on the road if they are done wrong.

-I average 12 miles per gallon. While I have the sub-tank system, I was considering buying three 5 gallon gas cans just to be safe. Should I even worry about this or will I be fine with just the main and sub fuel tank.

-Should I have anything inspected/serviced before I make the drive?

-Is there anything I myself should do the cruiser before making the drive?

-Any General Tips/Tricks?

I apologize for such newbie questions, but the past 6 months of owning my cruiser has been such a learning experience, so I am hoping that this trip will teach me even more.
I drove from San Francisco to Charlotte in a 200 a couple years ago and it was a blast. I had just bought it at an auction and knew very little about it, but it was only a few years old and had 70k miles so I wasn't worried about it. But I have done lots of long distance driving over the years. While your Cruiser probably doesn't need anything special to make the trip (an 80 with only 75k miles???) you, the driver, probably need to have a few things done to the Cruiser for your mental sake.

What I have found is that if you are worried about something on your vehicle during a drive, it makes the drive VERY long and stressful. That stress can really wear you out. It takes any joy of the journey out of it, and just turns it into a chore that you just want to get done. So if you replace a few things that may be questionable, it will give you that peace of mind, and you can head out feeling confident that you don't have to worry or stress about the vehicle breaking. It makes the trip much more enjoyable and stress-free, you can really enjoy the scenery and take in your surroundings better.

Since you are pulling a trailer and the brakes are near done, I'd do those. Change oil and filter and check all other fluids. If your tires are done, put a new set of Michelin Defenders on and enjoy those soft, quiet clouds floating you over the road.

-No, its no strain on the Cruiser for a long drive.
-Do the brakes
-dont take extra fuel cans
-check all fluids, belts and hoses, change oil and filter
-check tire pressure and check your spare
-take some tools, dont forget something to cut with and something to hammer with

Im kinda old school and like to have paper maps with the route planned out, so that I can refer to those, especially if you were to lose cell service. Then I use my phone just for music, and not be constantly having to go to it to see where to go.

Subscribed. Take plenty of cash for fuel and roadside diners. I am taking the trip in a few months to LA. Looking forward to reading about your successful trip.
Never had to use cash once for fuel, food, hotel, park entrance fees, etc.

Search 'Mud clubhouses along your planned route so you have support in the event of a serious problem.

If you want, you could post your planned route and stop to see other LC owners on the way.........

Change your oil and brakes before your trip. Monitor your fluids daily.

Having a low mileage truck means it has sat a lot. Be prepared for hoses to become an issue as they have not been heavily heat cycled.

If you can get the torque app for OBD1 trucks or a UltraGauge for OBD2 trucks, it will allow you to monitor while you're driving.

Last edited:
I stay a some campgrounds that are on the honor system and those take cash. I like having cash as a backup but generally try to use a credit card for most expenses while traveling. I avoid using debit cards or anything directly associated with my bank accounts. Something about swiping in places far from home and unknown that makes me want to use a credit card in place of debit.

Don't worry about long hours.

I would do brake pads and check your wheel bearings before the trip. While you're at it, check all the nuts on the bottom of the knuckle and make sure they are torqued to 71 ft lb. New tires, might as well.

Extra fuel is unnecessary, however I would bring a jug of coolant, a jug of oil and always travel with a good amount of water (for drinking or to use as coolant if needed)

What is the state of your coolant hoses and belts? At that low mileage, I would be worried they're original. At least inspect them for bulges, cracks, leaks. Not just the radiator hoses, but all the little coolant hoses too, PHH, rear heat hoses, etc.

Install a real temperature gauge and keep an eye on it. The stock gauge is a lying bitch.

Food for thought, in addition to what others have said. If you're going through the Mojave desert and others, there are some long grades, especially in NM, AZ, and in CA. I try to plan driving grades in the evening, when it's cooler, to reduce strain on the vehicle. Plus, less semi-trucks clogging the roads.
I love night driving, and generally, there's less wildlife to avoid. Plus, less traffic (usually).
Also, as you get out west, towns are less frequent. Ludlow, CA, on I-40, has crazy high fuel prices. Avoid it like the plague. It's usually $2/gallon more. Try to plan fuel stops in larger towns/cities.

Never had to use cash once for fuel, food, hotel, park entrance fees, etc.
@jonheld I smiled at your post. True, cash is on the way out for convenience. Ok, I really am old school. I hate credit/debit cards. I usually turn my phone off on trips. I will be calling AAA for a Trip-tik and see if the young whipper snapper even knows what that is. I try to pay for things with Susan B Anthony dollar coins and $2 bills are common in my house. Yes, I will use a credit card to reserve a room to crash but I will always try to settle up in cash.

I look forward to hearing about the trip. Great idea to look up the clubs along the way. It amazes me the stories that come out of this forum about cruiserheads helping complete strangers. Enjoy the journey.

Having done a trip like this several times I concur with most here.
-Do an oil change before you leave.
-Do the brakes if they are nearing the end of their life. These old girls do not love stopping a trailer coming out of the rockies.
-Check your front hubs/knuckles for bearing play. Check your nuts on the bottom of the knuckle. Check your lug nuts and torque them correctly. Loosing a wheel at highway speed is not a fun time.
-Make sure your spare is up to snuff and you have the kit to change it.
-I would absolutely not bring extra fuel. Unless you're trying to take the AT across the country, you will not have problems finding fuel. Using an app like iExit (if you're following major highways) is a help for keeping fuel prices down/knowing how far to the next gas stop.
-Inspect all cooling hoses for evidence of looseness or leaks (PHH/heater hoses/rad hoses/rear heater hoses). Blowing a coolant/heater hose is one thing that can ruin your day.
-Biggest tip: Take it slow. Relax in the right lane and let the world blow past you. Enjoy the scenery. If you have time, go for shorter driving days and find cool spots to camp along the way. Personally I would stick to two-lanes for at least part of the trip if time allowed.

Just give it a once over and get in and go. 2000mi of highway is nothing. Maybe get tires. (Since you mentioned you need them anyway)
Make sure your trailer wiring works.

Are the brakes up for towing?

Just give it a once over and get in and go. 2000mi of highway is nothing. Maybe get tires. (Since you mentioned you need them anyway)
Make sure your trailer wiring works.

Are the brakes up for towing?
Just ordered brakes today! Not exactly the ones I wanted, but they were the only ones I could have delivered tomorrow.

@jonheld I smiled at your post. True, cash is on the way out for convenience. Ok, I really am old school. I hate credit/debit cards. I usually turn my phone off on trips. I will be calling AAA for a Trip-tik and see if the young whipper snapper even knows what that is. I try to pay for things with Susan B Anthony dollar coins and $2 bills are common in my house. Yes, I will use a credit card to reserve a room to crash but I will always try to settle up in cash.

I look forward to hearing about the trip. Great idea to look up the clubs along the way. It amazes me the stories that come out of this forum about cruiserheads helping complete strangers. Enjoy the journey.
Sounds like a plan. I will certainly keep you and everyone else posted!

Search 'Mud clubhouses along your planned route so you have support in the event of a serious problem.

If you want, you could post your planned route and stop to see other LC owners on the way.........

Change your oil and brakes before your trip. Monitor your fluids daily.

Having a low mileage truck means it has sat a lot. Be prepared for hoses to become an issue as they have not been heavily heat cycled.

If you can get the torque app for OBD1 trucks or a UltraGauge for OBD2 trucks, it will allow you to monitor while you're driving.
I plan on posting the route later tonight once I finalize everything. Changing the brakes tomorrow along with getting a new set of tires! I will certainly be keeping on eye on everything. Feeling pretty confident about the drive overall. The only issue I have noticed (today actually), is I believe my transmission may be slipping? Sometimes when I accelerate, I feel as though the car is being dragged. This may be something I've always had, I am just now noticing it. Also, when I shift from park to drive, the car completely skips over reverse, but going from drive to reverse is no issue.

I plan on posting the route later tonight once I finalize everything. Changing the brakes tomorrow along with getting a new set of tires! I will certainly be keeping on eye on everything. Feeling pretty confident about the drive overall. The only issue I have noticed (today actually), is I believe my transmission may be slipping? Sometimes when I accelerate, I feel as though the car is being dragged. This may be something I've always had, I am just now noticing it. Also, when I shift from park to drive, the car completely skips over reverse, but going from drive to reverse is no issue.
When are you leaving?

If you feel like it's "slipping" it could be drive flanges on the front hubs. Not the end of the world, but if you have a problem while on the road, you may be able to lock your center differential and the problem will "go away". You can do this, even if you don't have the switch. Worry about it if you have the problem, then you can search or post with a "RTH" post and we can all advise.

I drove from San Francisco to Charlotte in a 200 a couple years ago and it was a blast. I had just bought it at an auction and knew very little about it, but it was only a few years old and had 70k miles so I wasn't worried about it. But I have done lots of long distance driving over the years. While your Cruiser probably doesn't need anything special to make the trip (an 80 with only 75k miles???) you, the driver, probably need to have a few things done to the Cruiser for your mental sake.

What I have found is that if you are worried about something on your vehicle during a drive, it makes the drive VERY long and stressful. That stress can really wear you out. It takes any joy of the journey out of it, and just turns it into a chore that you just want to get done. So if you replace a few things that may be questionable, it will give you that peace of mind, and you can head out feeling confident that you don't have to worry or stress about the vehicle breaking. It makes the trip much more enjoyable and stress-free, you can really enjoy the scenery and take in your surroundings better.

Since you are pulling a trailer and the brakes are near done, I'd do those. Change oil and filter and check all other fluids. If your tires are done, put a new set of Michelin Defenders on and enjoy those soft, quiet clouds floating you over the road.

-No, its no strain on the Cruiser for a long drive.
-Do the brakes
-dont take extra fuel cans
-check all fluids, belts and hoses, change oil and filter
-check tire pressure and check your spare
-take some tools, dont forget something to cut with and something to hammer with

Im kinda old school and like to have paper maps with the route planned out, so that I can refer to those, especially if you were to lose cell service. Then I use my phone just for music, and not be constantly having to go to it to see where to go.
I will certainly take this to heart. Feeling pretty confident so far, only issue is the one I mentioned moments ago to BILT4ME. I will keep you posted on the trip if you'd like. Appreciate the advise!

When are you leaving?

If you feel like it's "slipping" it could be drive flanges on the front hubs. Not the end of the world, but if you have a problem while on the road, you may be able to lock your center differential and the problem will "go away". You can do this, even if you don't have the switch. Worry about it if you have the problem, then you can search or post with a "RTH" post and we can all advise.
I will be driving March 4th-6th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom