First Blackstone Labs Results - Am I screwed? Metal Levels Through the Wazoo + Coolant Contamination (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back story, bought this 97' FZJ80 with 220k on it back in April 2020. Car runs great and has extensive maintenance history on it.

As recent as last October the PO had a HG job done (maintenance records to show) as there was coolant found entering the number 6 cylinder. When I bought the car I had its compression numbers tested and they came back at 175 through all 6 cylinders.

Well, as a novice wrencher and constantly learning more and more about these beasts, I wanted a report from Blackstone. I changed my oil last week from 5w-30 (this is the oil sample I gave to Blackstone) to Shell Rotella T6 since it seems like a MUD favorite. The results came back today and it is safe to say I'm quite freaked out by their report and the numbers.

blackstone labs screenshot .PNG

Every metal as indiciated by the report is high, some are SKY high and that is what I am worried about. I will follow their instructions and resample the oil in 2k miles. But until then, what can I do to help minimize this engine's wear? I see they are telling me to monitor my coolant, which I have been since I bought the car as I know these cars can overheat.

I have a Bluedriver OBDII that has been remarkable for reading engine temps and couple months ago I installed a Landtank Blue Fan Clutch which has taken engine coolant temp down tremendously. I don't have any coolant leaks, but there clearly is something going on with the coolant. Not looking to do another HG rebuild, let alone have major engine failure. Looking for any and all information regarding this report and where to go from here.

Much Thanks.

I would change the oil (I think you did....) then run it for the 2000 miles as suggested by them and change it again and retest.

It is VERY possible that the PO did not change the oil when doing the HG job to "cut costs" and therefore was running contaminate oil.

Baseline it and continue. Don't be scared........yet.

I had a hole in my air filter and the silica was sky high, thinking I was having a coolant leak or something. Changed my air filter and it solved the problem.

Your Calcium looks a little low.... you might want to work on that.

1597099321379.png

Seriously, I would pull the pan, clean the pan out so you don't have residual crap get in your test, and drop a main and a rod bearing to see if the damage is real.

Your Calcium looks a little low.... you might want to work on that.

View attachment 2399736

Seriously, I would pull the pan, clean the pan out so you don't have residual crap get in your test, and drop a main and a rod bearing to see if the damage is real.
I needed that bit of humor. You're saying drop the lower engine oil pan and clean it + take off the engine cover (not sure on the terminology) where the crankshaft and bearings are?

I would change the oil (I think you did....) then run it for the 2000 miles as suggested by them and change it again and retest.

It is VERY possible that the PO did not change the oil when doing the HG job to "cut costs" and therefore was running contaminate oil.

Baseline it and continue. Don't be scared........yet.

I had a hole in my air filter and the silica was sky high, thinking I was having a coolant leak or something. Changed my air filter and it solved the problem.
Just checked the maintenance records and it looks like oil WAS replaced at time of HG rebuild. I'm Going to replace filter with OEM one ASAP. hoping to see some difference come 2k mileage. Quite nervous to say the least...

I needed that bit of humor. You're saying drop the lower engine oil pan and clean it + take off the engine cover (not sure on the terminology) where the crankshaft and bearings are?

Close... yes on taking off the engine oil pan and clean it out. Then you can take off one set of crankshaft and conrod caps by taking out two bolts each. This will allow you to pop off the bearing and see exactly if you have any damage to worry about. The old theory is takeoff the one furthest away from the oil pump which should be closest to the transmission.

Agreed on not worrying too much yet, although I understand how you feel. Bought a 4.0 jeep years ago and quickly discovered it had the classic cracked 0331 head, coolant contaminating oil, already had worn bearings, but not beyond the point of no return. Did a few pretty short OCIs, and then kept up on changes at 3K max for a while, probably took the better part of a year before residual coolant & bearing indicators went back down to normal. Inside of that timeframe, if it’s just residual, in theory you will see those numbers dropping with each report and you can start to ease your mind. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I would change the oil sooner than the 2k recommended OCI. After my head gasket replacement, I ran conventional for 500 miles. Then switched to T6. Ran that for 1k miles, and then 2.5k miles. I am now on a 6 month/5k OCI. The “break in” OCIs were probably unnecessary, but gave me peace of mind. My Blackstone reports have come back clean

If the engine is running well and you're not loosing any coolant, it sounds like the high ppm values would be related to the old oil and remnant contaminates...

Do you know what type of oil was in it? brand, synthetic vs conventional? I'm also curious what the properties were on the lower section of the report where it got cut off. 5K mile OCI is a little long IMO. Besides contaminants being high the additive package is a bit on the low side.

Call me 80 paranoid, but I would always take an hg job done claim with a grain of salt.

There’s so much work involved that doing it less than perfect is doing it wrong.

What parts were used? What parts were sourced OEM or aftermarket and why? Who did the work? How reputable are they? What else was replaced while in there?

Good luck dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom