first birfield help! ASAP (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This my first try..I purchase parts from C-Dan, I watched Jims DVD multiple times, read all posts. All was going great. Now my problem is I install the trunion races backwards..How do I remove them??There is no lip. Any help out there tonight. Thanks ahead of time.

Thanks for the thread, I did a search right after you told me, but it didn't come up with anything. Thanks to all and I will reply later with hopefully good results.

update..

I removed the races :) what I ended up doing is took the head of a small sledge hammer and jamed it in a angle and beat the@@@ out of it until I got a space enough to hammer a screw driver in there and tap tap tap until they came out. Lucky I have the other set of trunion bearings for the otherside so I can use those races. Do they just sell races??
Well its 9:00PM Pacific and I need to finish this side.
Thanks for the help being Thanksgiving tomorrow.

It is unlikely that you will find just the races. In one of those 2 threads that I posted, Dan gave the pn for aftermarket (NAPA, AutoZone, etc.) trunion bearings. You might find one open tomorrow.

Do not use new bearings with the old races.
-B-

one side finish

Thanks again landtank and beowulf,
Just past midnight, all cleaned up.
I'm guessing its OK to drive around the next couple of days until I can buy another set of bearings and do the other birf this weekend?

landtank said:
Beat me -B-, I came back after finding it to see you got here first.

I might be quicker with the SEARCH but you've got a better memory. I had forgotten the posts about others with the same problem.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Rick and everyone else out there!

-B-

All done

Everything is done.
The driverside went much faster with my brothers
helping hands and knowing the steps from the other side.
The funny thing is the person that replaced the top trunion
bearing the last time must have put it in backwards also. It looks
like they ground away enough to knock the race out.

Thanks again for all the help. until the next project.

I put a lower race in upside down not paying attention to what I was doing. Unless you're on the floor looking up at the knuckle it's an easy mistake to make. I used a small sharpened chisel and hammer to get it out. It took about 30 minutes until I got a seam large enough to knock it out, clean it up and put it back in.

othater,

Welcome to the club. Glad to hear you got the race out and have it all buttoned back up. I still remember the cold sweat that broke out on my head when I realized what I had done.:crybaby:

:cheers:

If you got a welder you can run a bead all the way around the race let it cool , It should come out easy. Do it all the time at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom