First attempt at t-case/ tranny gaskets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Fellers! I am rounding up all necessary gaskets from the dealer to change the notorious leaking gasket between the t-case and tranny. While i am there i would replace the output shaft gaskets, front and rear. This attempt will be in my single car garage. I will not be able to get to it for a week or two but, wanted any advice before diving in. OH! It is an 89' fj62 . It has 241,000 miles . I have had it a year and this is the largest thing i have had go wrong with it so far.Thankyou for any input!

Couple of venders sale the rebuild kit. It also includes bearings. Dealer will beat you up on the price

I just did mine a month ago, so it is all nice and fresh in the mind. I did mine in the driveway with a club buddy. A couple of things:
Tons of brake fluid and rags
Label everything. You can take a piece of cardboard and punch your bolts through it, in groups, and label them.
Take your time. We got everything together and had a shim and an o-ring left over. Went back to the FSM and realized the shim was step #1 and the o-ring was #5. The second time went much faster than the first.
If you can afford a McNamara gear, buy it. If not, have your input gear, spacer and PTO gear welded together. You'll probably need a mobile welder, since you're not dropping your tranny.
If you have access to a transmission jack (or floor jack), dropping the cross member and lowering the transmission just a bit will make getting the welded gear on and off a lot easier. It'll also make removing the upper case bolts easier.

Yeah but you wouldn't want to. Unless it is an 80+ it will have the one piece case, the split case in your 62 is a superior design. If it is an 80+ it will require new driveshafts and will have the smaller idler shaft. The best bet if you want to do a 4 speed swap is to find an 85+ with the spacer which will be a direct swap lengthwise iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom