First 40 - How to prepare for 1300+ mile road trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree. I70 is typically stop and go until you get past Idaho springs (stop in at Beau joesif you do head that way!) and it’s very crowded otherwise.

The biggest benefit with i70 is you can hangout in the far right lane with the truckers doing a solid 45mph with your hazards on. (I know because I’ve done it many times in my cruiser!!) Where as 285 is a lot of two lane with some passing lanes.

Either way, sounds like a blast. Have a great trip!
I've taken I-70 throughout the years going to ski and I just can't see a 40 liking those passes very much. And like you said, the traffic can suck. I'm going to take 285 and hope for the best.
2 years ago i bought my 42 and flew out to the coast and drove 1100 miles home the next day! I stopped at the 1st Canadian tire i saw and bought $400 worth of tools and fluids. Drove it all the way home in 2 days zero issues. returned all tools the next day haha.

ear buds are your friend take a set!!!!

Link to my journey in my signature
Awesome, I love hearing similar stories of what I'm about to encounter. Ear plugs are packed!
Go Cole! Nothing like a road trip in a 40... The farthest I have ever driven is 475 miles one way, but the old iron can be pretty dang reliable... Oil change for sure!
:cheers:
Looks like a standard inline fuel filter. I bet the ends are 3/8" id. you can get them anywhere. Also, if you can get a spare clutch slave kit, i'd do it. I keep one in my glovebox just in case it goes out.
have a good trip!
best, ty
:beer:
I've had people mention 5/16" in this thread, but I think it looks bigger like 3/8" too. I will check Tuesday night when I pick it up and then pick up some fuel line and filters before my drive to Telluride.
Remember that on very long trips, things like exhaust manifold gaskets and collector gaskets can fry. Be aware of this, in case you hear or smell exhaust issues on your way back. Also, my ignition timing was set for Colorado, so it started pinging in Nebraska, and I had to dial back the timing a bit to quiet it down.

I drove my '78 FJ40 from Colorado to upper Michigan and back in the early 1990s. It was ungodly hot in Omaha (106F), and I found myself falling asleep at the wheel. I had to be the only guy ordering coffee at the gas station on that day. I was also given a warning for going 59 in a 55 mph zone - surely the only speeding ticket I will ever get in this truck. So, beware those speed traps! ;)
Good to know about exhaust gaskets. The one in my 60 needs to be replaced too, but it has a radio, A/C and windows and doors to block out the smell and sound :hillbilly:

I will keep an ear out for pinging on the way home once I come down from elevation.

It will be a pretty hot and humid drive. I would worry about leaks, especially tcase leaks since they don't hold a lot of fluid and a trip like that will empty a leaking tcase. Brake and clutch fluid leaks would also be a concern. Engine cooling would be a concern too if the radiator or water pump is old. I do a ton of maintenance on my 40 and I still have issues on road trips. No way I would bring a unknown 40 onto telluride offroad trails. If a brake hose gives out the chances of falling to a fiery death are high. Not trying to piss on your parade, just being realistic.

Unless your rig is in really good working condition, there is no way I would take in on that trip; too many things can go wrong on an old rig like that. My 69, although it was in decent driving condition based on my test drive, it needed new brake shoes, water pump, tune up, shocks, fluid changes, carb rebuild, water and brake line hose replacements, tires, parking brake shoes, new batteries, and getting all electrical lights working; many of these things I knew about, some I discovered on 90 mile trip from Laguna Nigel to San Diego and many other things my mechanic discovered. On the other hand, my rig had not really been driven much in over 20 years and if you rig is a true DD, then maybe I am just a worry wart. m

Nice truck.

Schedule chiropractors every 450 miles......

Don't listen to all the naysayers, it will be an adventure - one you will remember for a long time...good or bad! Do your due diligence and prepare (others in this thread have done a better job covering everything you may need much better than I ever could). Be smart, know your limits and take only calculated risks. Also, the chiropractor is for alternative medicine kombucha drinkers - schedule a deep tissue massage for the day after your arrival. And take some damn pics!

One thing I keep in both Cruisers when traveling is a dozen or so wooden clothes pins. Modern fuel boils at a much lower temperature than what it used to. If you run into a vaporlock situation just clip them on the fuel line under the hood leading to your carb. It's an old hotrodders trick and it helps when the heat is up. Has almost always solved road issues for me when buying questionable fuel sources.

It’s all in your mindset. Do it. I did it last year Austin to Ouray and back. This year it will be Austin to Chicago to Ouray to Austin. Own the right lane!

I drove my 40 from Arkansas to Colorado (and back) with my daughter years ago. A great memory. Go for it....

One thing I keep in both Cruisers when traveling is a dozen or so wooden clothes pins. Modern fuel boils at a much lower temperature than what it used to. If you run into a vaporlock situation just clip them on the fuel line under the hood leading to your carb. It's an old hotrodders trick and it helps when the heat is up. Has almost always solved road issues for me when buying questionable fuel sources.
I've never heard of this before, but good to know. With modern fuel now having 10+% ethanol, does that lower the boiling point temp even more compared to non-ethanol fuel?
It’s all in your mindset. Do it. I did it last year Austin to Ouray and back. This year it will be Austin to Chicago to Ouray to Austin. Own the right lane!
Thanks for the support, and right lane it is!
I drove my 40 from Arkansas to Colorado (and back) with my daughter years ago. A great memory. Go for it....
Our plan is to leave Telluride early Saturday morning and get to Amarillo. Then Sunday will be Amarillo to Little Rock (my in-laws live there). What part of AR did you live in?

I've never heard of this before, but good to know. With modern fuel now having 10+% ethanol, does that lower the boiling point temp even more compared to non-ethanol fuel?

Thanks for the support, and right lane it is!

Our plan is to leave Telluride early Saturday morning and get to Amarillo. Then Sunday will be Amarillo to Little Rock (my in-laws live there). What part of AR did you live in?
Lived in Fort Smith for 41 years and got up enough velocity 17 years ago to escape the orbit and moved to Portland.

It used to be close to 190° but with added ethinol and thet magical summer blend crap older carburated vehicles can and do suffer from the lower boiling point. Altitude, heat from slow uphill runs and poor quality gas can make for a bad day. It may not happen right after a fill up but miles down the road when everything heats up including your fuel tank under the pass seat. Gas looses its efficiency with heat.
I don't mean to freak you out just a heads up for miles of adventure in your 40. It would not deter me from doing it. Get out and drive your cool trucks guys.

It used to be close to 190° but with added ethinol and thet magical summer blend crap older carburated vehicles can and do suffer from the lower boiling point. Altitude, heat from slow uphill runs and poor quality gas can make for a bad day. It may not happen right after a fill up but miles down the road when everything heats up including your fuel tank under the pass seat. Gas looses its efficiency with heat.
I don't mean to freak you out just a heads up for miles of adventure in your 40. It would not deter me from doing it. Get out and drive your cool trucks guys.
So try and find non-ethanol gas stations to fill up or just take the chance? I'm assuming you put the clothes pins on the rubber line before the hard line from pump to carb?

Attaching packing list...keep updating day to day. I have not included any food/water/kitchen. My buddy Ron is bringing kitchen/cooking/utensils, Dave is in charge or recovery and tools, Carey will have tools as well. I do plan to buy a cooler when I get into Denver and pack it full of ice/water/gatorade for the trip to Telluride and beyond....

CO Packing List.JPG

To add on...
Automotive blue paper towels (tacos are messy)
Side cutters
I think the grease gun and impact are overkill, but if you have the room....
1/4 nylon Rope (again) bungee cords.

" Also, the chiropractor is for alternative medicine kombucha drinkers - "

Excuse me.....your ignorance is showing
At the risk of completely derailing this thread, chiropractic "medicine" is pseudo-science at best and has been for a long time. It has no scientific backing whatsoever and can be very damaging in many cases. The link below is a great article if you're curious.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/science-and-chiropractic/

Don’t forget those earplugs! Don’t use the big noise reduction ones you won’t be able to hear sirens and horns and actually can get in trouble wearing those. Find some $15 musician plugs that allow you to hear full range.

And regardless of your position on chiropractic, these videos are extremely intoxicating... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom