Firewood collection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started to hijack Jon's thread about his recent trip to the Jemez and thought maybe I should just start a new thread.

In my new house I have a Quadrafire fireplace that provides supplemental heat to the main part of the house so that I don't spend a fortune on propane with the furnace. The FP works great and puts out a ton of heat. I only used 100 gallons of propane Jan-Apr (we moved in Jan 9) to keep the house heated to 58 using the furnace and then all the extra heat came from the fireplace. I could keep the central part of the house at 80 degrees if I wanted to. It also gives me the ability to heat the house if I were ever to lose power for a long period of time. Since the FP got used daily Jan - Apr, I'm suspecting that I will use it about 8 months out of the year. That means I need a lot of firewood to keep it fed. The challenge is getting an adequate supply of firewood to last a whole season without spending a fortune on it. I used about a cord of wood that was given to me this past winter. I'm expecting to need about 2 cords for the full 8 months.

The going rate for a cord of wood right now is in the $250 - $400 range depending on the species mix, who you get it from, and if it's delivered. If I'm paying someone at least $500 for wood, I might as well just pay for extra propane.

I recently bought a permit to harvest wood out of the Mountainair Ranger District, in the Manzano Mountains, north of Tajique. The majority of the wood that can be harvested is ponderosa and fir. Those burn good but don't have the same energy density of juniper/pinon/oak. So I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on some of those species without spending a fortune. I just bought a used Stihl MS290 for $250 so I'm invested in harvesting my own wood to keep costs down. And I have a friend with a heavy duty log splitter. Any suggestions on how I can harvest pinon and juniper in the ABQ East Mountain vicinity? I looked on the BLM site and their fuelwood areas are all pretty far from town.

The next challenge I have is my trailer. It's kind of small and wimpy but it's what I have. If I added some small stake panels up front I could probably get about a 1/2 cord safely. The trailer is nice in that it is short and relatively good ground clearance so taking it 9 miles up the forest road from Tajique works out fine, other than I have to make a lot of trips to get enough wood. I actually went up there on Sunday to scout it out and make sure I knew what I was getting into. Because of Stage 2 Fire Restrictions, I couldn't use my chainsaw because I was there in the middle of the day (no chainsaw use between 10 am and 6 pm). So I just loaded up stuff that was under 8' long with good burning potential. Load distribution on this trip was terrible. I need to cut the wood and bias the load toward the front of the trailer so it's stable. Thus the logic of putting some small stake panels but only on the front half. And I won't be leaving the tailgate open and hanging it out the back again. If you're wondering about the cost of fuel, I calculated one round trip (90 miles) to be about $20 in fuel (12 mpg X $2.50/gal). The firewood permit was $20 and I'm allowed to remove up to 10 cords. Add the cost of fuel and I'm looking at about $50/cord.
Trailer with Wood.jpg

At the yard where my arborist keeps a pile of free wood chips, they often have a pile of logs. Something like Siberian elm burns hot and long, and it is a weed in residential NM. I doubt that it will score you a cord at once, and it isn't going to burn until it dries out, but the tree trimmers might just deserve a call?

At the yard where my arborist keeps a pile of free wood chips, they often have a pile of logs. Something like Siberian elm burns hot and long, and it is a weed in residential NM. I doubt that it will score you a cord at once, and it isn't going to burn until it dries out, but the tree trimmers might just deserve a call?
Yeah, I scored a bunch of elm with my last batch of wood I got from a buddy. It was very dense and burned a long time. Just need to find someone that is needing to get rid of some.

When I was in stay at home dad mode I visited these guys a few times.
elm, cottonwood, Russian olive.
big stump cookies and split stuff too.
pricing was equal to my meek budget and willingness to sweat.
If I recall, they said I could haul off as much of the big stuff as I wanted!
Might be worth looking into.

Baca's trees also Home - Baca's Trees they do wood chips too, i got a LOT for $0.00 delivered
Sorry, no idea where to legitimately get low elevation stuff like pinion/juniper much less oakDoes every 6' bed luv pickup end up this way? :frown:
The one I had I ditched the bed and made a simple flat bed that was more balanced over the axle. The frames are pretty robust comparatively, a lot better than nissans, mazda/courier

Baca's trees also Home - Baca's Trees they do wood chips too, i got a LOT for $0.00 delivered
Sorry, no idea where to legitimately get low elevation stuff like pinion/juniper much less oakDoes every 6' bed luv pickup end up this way? :frown:
The one I had I ditched the bed and made a simple flat bed that was more balanced over the axle. The frames are pretty robust comparatively, a lot better than nissans, mazda/courier
Yeah, the frame seems pretty stout compared to the wimpy springs that I upgraded with some coil helpers. Still pretty springy though.

Just as a FYI, the Tijeras transfer station has free wood chips/mulch for pickup. They'll load it with their gigantic front end loader for pittance. Same goes for manure.

Just as a FYI, the Tijeras transfer station has free wood chips/mulch for pickup. They'll load it with their gigantic front end loader for pittance. Same goes for manure.
Good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom