Firewall wire penetration - stupid question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm running direct batter power into the cab for my radio. I cut the end of the grommet "tube" off but it still seems I need to poke a hole through the inside grommet with a scratch awl or something. Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something or doing something stupid.

ED01FA72-0F96-4462-9381-4EC02136ACC4.jpeg

I'm running direct batter power into the cab for my radio. I cut the end of the grommet "tube" off but it still seems I need to poke a hole through the inside grommet with a scratch awl or something. Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something or doing something stupid.

View attachment 3037307
Answering my own stupid question. Yes you must poke a hole. After I did that, I pushed in a 12 awg solid wire in from the engine bay then connected it to the double 10 gauge stranded wire on the inside of the cab and pulled the double 10 gauge wire through the hole. That’s a lot of wire for such a little hole some silicon spray was needed to move the wire so it could be pulled.

E17880F0-5D13-400C-B900-2F05F36C1D4A.jpeg

This is awesome, i've been wondering about those grommets.

Where is your radio anntenna mounted?

I considered running the antenna wire through the fire wall. I would have used the one on the passenger side but I went underneath the passenger floor instead. There is a hole near the floor sill with a plug in it. I’ve got a Slee tray and my winch control box in the way for access to the passenger firewall grommet. A big PITA to remove/put back. Also, the connector end of the antenna cable I have, while small, would be impossible to push through the firewall “tube”. You’d have to cut the connector off and put another on after you pulled it through. Possible but you need special tools I don’t have and didn’t want to buy for a one time use.

I’d also try to avoid running antenna wire next to power as you could get signal interference. That is easier said than done though.

For the radio ground, I’m running negative back to the battery.

It looks like your brake fluid is over the max line. I had the same when I got my LC and drove nearly 4k miles before I realized. So I removed a little bit. Braking feels better but it is probably placebo effect and I just got used to LC braking, since it is my first LC.

People say it expands and could crack the reservoir but that wasn't the case with my 4k mile driving. Plus, mine was literally up to the cap.

nice work on the wiring, I use those irrigation flags as my tool to get them started, then a lot of silicone spray and electrical tape. If anyone needs to see this, I put it in this video, the wiring stuff is all towards the beginning:

It looks like your brake fluid is over the max line. I had the same when I got my LC and drove nearly 4k miles before I realized. So I removed a little bit. Braking feels better but it is probably placebo effect and I just got used to LC braking, since it is my first LC.

People say it expands and could crack the reservoir but that wasn't the case with my 4k mile driving. Plus, mine was literally up to the cap.
dealerships regularly fill it to the max line without realizing that the proper max level is the level after pumping the pedal something like 20 times. so it ends up overfilled. even says to do this procedure on the cap of the reservoir.

dealerships regularly fill it to the max line without realizing that the proper max level is the level after pumping the pedal something like 20 times. so it ends up overfilled. even says to do this procedure on the cap of the reservoir.
Yep it’s over full. I’ll take some out but it’s been this way for 20k miles or more. I must have enough “head room” to allow for expansion.

nice work on the wiring, I use those irrigation flags as my tool to get them started, then a lot of silicone spray and electrical tape. If anyone needs to see this, I put it in this video, the wiring stuff is all towards the beginning:

Great video. I wish I had seen it before I did mine! FWIW, I used a heat shrink / solder connector to connect the solid piper wire to the 10 gauge wire I was pulling. It did break free but after I got the 10 gauge through. Silicone spray first would have solved that.

BTW, I like your top plate mod for ram mount. I’d want to mod it slightly to accommodate the Tesla gps sensor and microphone. I’m adding it to “the list”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom