Firewall removal. Has anyone done it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i would love to see pictures of this, good luck

when you weld this thing up make sure you seal it good to prevent any leaks!
I'll post some later today for you.
In post #9, where my finger is pointing to, that bead is a sealer that Toyota used.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Pics if the top portion spot welds cut.

I'm starting to consider swapping the complete cowl section because I would like to use the dash & the heater blower vent from the 71.
If I can't get the firewall from the 66 off neatly, then I will go in that direction.
More to come soon.

spot weld broach.JPG
I would get the broach Coolerman mentioned above. You can get them at any parts store. I got mine from a Federated Auto Parts store. Whole lot better than bending a denting the good steel you want to keep and the hole gives you a spot to weld in the next section. All you have to do is center punch the weld in the center of the weld. Be sure it is a deep center punch so the broach stays in the dent you make. Here is a pic of the broach and one of the drilled holes. The track marks is where the broach slipped out of the center punch. Slower is better. Use some crisco shortening for lube on the broach. Slower cuts faster. Good luck on the project.

bed spot welds drilled.JPG

i have the harbor freight spot weld cutter.. bought two and haven't had the first one crap out on me yet.

Yeah for 5 bucks each, I'll get 3 for what napa charges for 1.
I've made the decision to cut the cowl off the 66, since the 71 was already cut when I bought it.

I'll just take my time.

So I'll soon have a 66 cowl & a 3/4 tub from a 74+(Year unknown but has bolt pattern for bucket seats) for sale. Clean Oregon title for the 66 in hand.

Oh yeah, & the original windshield frame with good glass to go with it.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Tada!!!

I got the spot weld cutter but couldn't fit my drill into most of the spots, so I opted for this.

this thread is dead since I've opted to not remove the firewall.
I'm squashing it before it turns into a build thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom