Firestone Destination MT 2 or Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/Kevlar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After doing a ton of research, I believe the Firestone Destination MT 2- 295/70/17(33.5/11.8) or the Goodyear Wrangler MTR will be my next tire. I really looked hard at the BFG K2 and K3. they both had marginal reviews even from the BFG crowd(wet weather on road)...
Nitto Trail, and Toyo open country MT were also at the top.
Trying to find a "more narrow" 33" in a 17" wheel really limited the options...
being in the Southeast really pushed me more toward a MT vs. an AT. I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my other rig and really like them but an AT doesn't cut it most places I travel..
The Firestone 297/70 is E rated
The Goodyear in 275,285, and 33x10.50 are all D rated. the 275/70 is the only E rated option
Is the D rated vs. E rated an issue on our rigs?

1594168552004.png

1594168487888.png

I don't have any direct experience with these specific tires, but I've always been a fan of Firestone/Bridgestone. I have owned the Destination ATs in the past, and thought they were a great tire. I'm running Falken AT3Ws now, but will probably switch to a "stone" tire when it's time to replace.

I would go with MT/R. D rated. Looks very unique. Kevlar everywhere.

I have the Goodyear Wrangler MTR's on my Jeep TJ. They are my second set and I love them on that vehicle. The newest set were very hard to balance on the rims. I understand others have had the same problem. They are also very noisey. Otherwise pretty bulletproof...

I’m ordering up the Wrangeler Duratrecs as we speak in 275/70/18. I went that way because of the durability and abilities they’ve shown on our SAR vehicles. We have them on a 3500 GMC, a F350, and a GMC Suburban. They do pretty well.

I really liked the tread style on the 2 sets of GY MT/R Kevlar tires I ran for the type of terrain I roll over. But after 3 tires ruined via sidewall cuts I moved on. If you don't roll in the rocks or woods you should be ok (2-rock cuts and 1 mountain mahogany branch were the sidewall culprits).

The past 4+ years I've had a set of Cooper ST MAXX on the 100 and, overall, I like this tire. Not as bullet proof of sidewalls as Toyo, but tougher than MT/R, but lighter and they are wearing better than the Toyo's I had...

HTH.

I ran the MT/R's on my FJ80 and my last FJ40 - loved them! My "snow machine" (hauling ski team around northern CA the past 4 years) has been a Raptor with DuraTracs. Good in the snow, but a rougher ride as they have aged. Currently running BFG KO's (only ok in packed Sierra snow - looking to change them) on my 200 and planning MT/R's for my new FJ40 build.

I ran the MTR on on my Cherokee and 4runner and love them! They are needed tire and will need to be rebalanced every 5k to keep them quiet, that said I have now have the BFG KM3 on my LC and love them too, but are needed tires too. It seems that any MT tire your get will need rotations and balance every 5k or you will that humming sound

thanks for the input guys! I would imagine either tire would be a good option... so far the pricing I have is $1136 installed for the Goodyear MT/R(33x10.50x17) and $1216 installed for the Firestone MT2 (295/70/17)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom