1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firestone Destination M/T 285 75R/16

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by silvercruiser, Mar 29, 2004.

1. silvercruiser

silvercruiser

Have about 1500 miles on the tires so far. I "upgraded" from BFG A/T 285 75 R16.

Highway ride compared to the BFG:
    - Slightly more noise over the BFG's
    - At 70MPH more vibration than the BFG's. When I checked the PSI it was at 40 so I lowered it to 34psi. The ride was more comfortable but still have the vibration. The vibration is bugging me not sure if this is normal for a MT tire??? Does the BFG MT cause vibration at speed?

Offroad
    -drove the Mojave trail and surrounding trails. Close to 75 miles of sand, some rocks and some mud. Tires worked well but in these conditions most tires would work well. There was 1 section of sticky mud and the tires seemed to clear themselves better than another truck with BFG AT's. If I knew how to attach pictures I would show an example of me pulling out a Defender 110 that stalled in a water crossing - snorkels do work! Also used my 12K winch to pull a stuck full size Dodge pickup out of the mud.
    -Last Thursday it snowed 12" in the Sierras and I just happened to be up there skiing : ) I noticed a significant increase in traction and stopping ability with these tires over the AT's.
    -Looking forward to doing some more technical rocky terrain and give more feedback.

Visually - they do look cool on my new black steelie wheels.

cheers,
    David...

2. jwest

jwest

I don't have a problem with Bridgestones, but ...you're ok with Firestones?

3. silvercruiser

silvercruiser

I would not recommend them for a daily driver. For offroading I'm fairly confident they will out perform my old BFG's AT. I have already found them to be better in the snow. Still going to play with the tire pressure.

4. Augie

Augie

This tire are supposed to be as good as Goodyear MTR. I was going to get a set but Discount Tire could not get it in time for me. Mud thread design are usually gives a lot less traction on snow but my prior experience with MTR shows the same result. Those silica rubber are awesome on ice and snow plus you might be comparing to half worn BFG AT which are well known to lose its grip when they wear down to the harder compound. Glad you like it, I am just hoping to get a set of 315/75R16 when they became available.

Ford's firestone are bad but I would not hesitate to get this one. Its Ford that mess up the spec to get smooth ride out of their aging Exploder that makes the tire bad.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">