Firestone Airbag Fix Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have installed Firestone Airbags on my AHC equipped 04. Everything was good for a while but recently I went to fill and no air would go in. I took out one on the bags and the hose was "Z" shaped at the top of the bag. The Firestone hose routing has the hose/bag connection on the top (body side) and the hose goes through the threaded hole for the bump stop. The hose can move through the bolt hole but not freely. If the rear doesn't go full extension I don't think it would be a problem but man I really enjoy getting a little air over RR tracks.

I see some options:
1. Drill out and expand the upper bump stop bolt hole.
2. Flip the bag and drill a hole for routing through the spring seat on the axle.

I am leaning towards option 2 but I thought I would get some encouragement / second opinions before taking the step bit to my baby.

6 of one, half dozen .....

I used a step bit and opened it up to 3/4 or 1". I did not want it to be rubbing against the threaded part for the bump stop. It's been a few years, no problems. City cruiser.

I had a chance to look at the setup this weekend and I am going to have to go with option 1 because taking everything apart in the future will be much easier. If I went option 2, route the air line down through the lower spring perch, I would have a harder time taking the spring out in the future when the bags leak or I kink the line again. Right now with the car on jackstands and back wheels off the ground I can get the spring out with only unbolting the AHC shock. The spring kind of scrapes across the lower spring perch as I pull it out. If the air hose was there it would be a couple more PITA steps to make enough room or get the spring compressors out.

I drilled the upper stops. I replaced some of the air line with 6mmOD tubing I got off Amazon. The new tubing is more flexible than the firestone tubing. Time was short so I patched the lines together with a 1/4in push in connector from Home Depot. I didn't have high hopes but gave it a chance just to see if it would work. The coupler has not leaked at all. I have had the connector in for 3 weeks including towing 6k TT with bags @ 25psi over Memorial Day Weekend. Very happy with results and happy to know I can patch with commonly available materials if needed.

Here is what mine looked like after a few years. Both hoses kinked at the top. Got a new pair of airbags and installing tonight. Proly drill out those holes on the top a little more.

44837AFD-228F-4E2A-8C43-D4B856D5E856.jpeg

After bout 3 weeks of driving around town one hose is kinked again after drilling. I can fix the hose in about 30mins but this setup is truly craptacular. I will likely get the Airlift 1000 kit and go that route.

Just added the airlift 1000 in less than an hour. Bottom hose through existing hole, lifted the back end 5” and squeezed through the springs. Nbd. Pumped to 25# and my rear pressures went from 9-10 down to 6.6! And pretty loaded. Happy with that, but my front is still 9+ and the ds tbar is maxed.

Option 2 FTW. Still need a step bit to open up the bottom holes to allow for articulation.. I tried both ways on 2 different rigs...

I have the Airlift 1000 setup and on multiple occasions when off-roading when the rear axle hits full flex it's enough to cause the airbag to come loose and cause the port to bind and break. I was looking at buying the universal kit with the taller bags and spacer to see if it solves the problem. I think the bags in the kit for 100/470's is 5.5" x 8.5" so I was thinking the 9.5" or 10.5" bag might solve the issue.

while out wheeling last weekend I had the airbags deflate 2x. both were probably install error. I did not widen the bottom hole, so the first one looks like the clamping spring thing got pulled off by the narrow hole and the hose came loose. the second was a pinched hose in the middle near the T, so I just cut it there and reinserted it into the T. I probably routed it poorly. I was running 30# to get my fully loaded pressures down in the back. both quick fixes, but still.....

so picked up some used 80 series spring that I will be installing tonight, along with reinserting the airbags with a wider hole this time! Also keeping the 30mm spacer up top for a little height. Lets see what those pressures do now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom