Fire Extinguisher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dumpolina

SILVER Star
Threads
OK @BionicCruiser , @TOYOTARIG and Frank C (@Poupon is Frank on mud?),
Prepping for Fall Crawl, I see my crappy home depot extinguisher is discharged.
What should I replace it with? My main concern is a fuel fed vehicle fire in my 30 year old junk.
Thanks for any professional guidance!

G

i have an indirect response to this question and that is to carry a large set of cable cutters within easy access. When feces hit the oscillating modulator, if you can cut the POS cable at the battery, life *might* get better. Then you can put the fire out with a F.E..

I have a 2.5# H3R Halotron and ABC dry chem in each vehicle. The Halotrons are expensive (almost $160/ea), but are clean agent and don't leave any residue.

Just a sanity check - I was driving on I-40 yesterday out near Edgewood and came across a newer model Range Rover burning to a melted crisp on the side of the freeway. There were fire trucks and emergency vehicles there spraying water on it. Once it cooled off, they would likely be removing what was left with shovels. While I have never had a vehicle catch on fire, I may be investing in some fire extinguishers myself. Hopefully no one was hurt.

Just a sanity check - I was driving on I-40 yesterday out near Edgewood and came across a newer model Range Rover burning to a melted crisp on the side of the freeway. There were fire trucks and emergency vehicles there spraying water on it. Once it cooled off, they would likely be removing what was left with shovels. While I have never had a vehicle catch on fire, I may be investing in some fire extinguishers myself. Hopefully no one was hurt.

That's the thing Evan, a FE is just not for yourself but for your friends as well. Can you imagine watching your buddy's rig melting to the ground because nobody had a FE? I suggest investing in a 5# unit for the 80 and the Tundra then secure them well in the cab!

It's a great idea to carry a good fire extinguisher (or two) in the truck all the time for emergencies, but do be aware of how limited (capacity, time of discharge) they are. We had to recert our emergency duties certs every few years, and part of that was putting out a fire with a portable extinguisher. It's shocking how quickly you're out of extinguishant! Lots of very good info here:
Maybe buy a spare of whatever you're going to get, and actually use it to put out a waste paper basket sized fire, just to give you an idea of what it can, and cannot do. Valuable information!!
Have fun and be safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom