Fire Extinguisher Mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where is the best place to mount a fire extinguisher in an FJ?
I'm looking for a place where the extinguisher would be readily accessable but wouldn't interfere with the driver/passengers or take up cargo space.
Any suggestions?

I have a 5 lb Kidde fire extinguisher stashed under the rear passenger seat, and it fits perfectly. My FJC is a 2007 MT. Don't know if the AT or 2008 has different spaces under the back seat.
0508080859.jpg

I have a 5 lb Kidde fire extinguisher stashed under the rear passenger seat, and it fits perfectly. My FJC is a 2007 MT. Don't know if the AT or 2008 has different spaces under the back seat.

I really like that mount. I assume you can't lay the seats down without taking it out though, right? What did you use to mount it, it looks custum.

I like that location and was planning on putting mine there but it sticks out too far and makes foot access tough for folks getting in and out of the rear seats. I've been looking for a little 'shorter' extinguisher to put in that location (1 on each side).

DEWFPO

I really like that mount. I assume you can't lay the seats down without taking it out though, right? What did you use to mount it, it looks custum.
It's totally ghetto. There is no "mount" for the fire extinguisher. It's literally just stuffed under the seat. I can fold the seats down with it there, and yes it is a PITA for people getting in the back, but I couldn't get excited enough (yet) to make a custom, permanent mount.

It's totally ghetto. There is no "mount" for the fire extinguisher. It's literally just stuffed under the seat. I can fold the seats down with it there, and yes it is a PITA for people getting in the back, but I couldn't get excited enough (yet) to make a custom, permanent mount.

thanks for the overthetop honesty!! guss i'll just get one and shove it in the glove box or something til i find the time to make a peranent mount!

i was a fan of not showing everyone you had one...you know. the rest are on the columns and everyone sees them. thanks for the info.:crybaby::crybaby:

ro

but at leat you got your priorities in the right order. seen a whole lot of problems with completely stock FJ's catching on fire. Glad you got the extinguisher before you got the little stuff like a lift, tires, bumper, winch. sliders or any of that other "don't really need" stuff. Happy wheelin'...im sure we willl run into each other. and when we do, and I'm yelling "AARONSCA" at the top of my lungs...be sure to come running ready to put a fire out!! LOL. Just messin with you:D:D:D:D talk at you soon

but at leat you got your priorities in the right order. seen a whole lot of problems with completely stock FJ's catching on fire. \n

.....huh?

.....huh?

I wrote my first reply to compliment what I saw. When my reply was broken down, words were highlighted using "quotes" and then the addition from AARONSCA saying his work was ghetto.... at least implied that he thought i must be crazy to think his carpentry was more than ghetto and I must be crazy for thinking it looked sharp. I then turned to logic. Compiled the little evidence I had to go off of and formed a theory. I added the 20 posts, the avitar of Mr Garrison, and the complete list of mods AARONSCA as done to his FJ, "none, is almost to much to list", I came to the sarcastic conclustion he must have a bad ass truck with a need to put a fire out on his rig sometime while driving down the highway stuck in traffic.

truck with no mods = street queen. street queen is also referred to as a pavement queen. if the only mod AARONSCA has chosen to put on his truck is a fire retardant....then logic leads me to think the mental capability of the person in the drivers seat isn't much more than the fluid the extingisher holds.

A stock FJ has its best chance of catching on fire by being douced by diesel fuel and having a lit match thrown at it.

If I miscalculated, or misunderstood the reply back to my compliment then I would be an ass not to offer an apology concerning my words. If this is the case, and I read it completely out of context (which I have done before) then my words would be an inaccurate description in AARONSCA's case. :hmm:

I wrote my first reply to compliment what I saw. When my reply was broken down, words were highlighted using "quotes" and then the addition from AARONSCA saying his work was ghetto.... at least implied that he thought i must be crazy to think his carpentry was more than ghetto and I must be crazy for thinking it looked sharp. I then turned to logic. Compiled the little evidence I had to go off of and formed a theory. I added the 20 posts, the avitar of Mr Garrison, and the complete list of mods AARONSCA as done to his FJ, "none, is almost to much to list", I came to the sarcastic conclustion he must have a bad ass truck with a need to put a fire out on his rig sometime while driving down the highway stuck in traffic.

truck with no mods = street queen. street queen is also referred to as a pavement queen. if the only mod AARONSCA has chosen to put on his truck is a fire retardant....then logic leads me to think the mental capability of the person in the drivers seat isn't much more than the fluid the extingisher holds.

A stock FJ has its best chance of catching on fire by being douced by diesel fuel and having a lit match thrown at it.

If I miscalculated, or misunderstood the reply back to my compliment then I would be an ass not to offer an apology concerning my words. If this is the case, and I read it completely out of context (which I have done before) then my words would be an inaccurate description in AARONSCA's case. :hmm:

Ok then.

We put two Marine type extinguishers on the rear doors. We could not find a great place to install, but felt that if something was on fire, we would probably be jumping out of the FJ. So then you have quick access on both sides of the truck by just opening the rear doors. Installed here, they don't interfere with folks in the back. We had to use the shorter 12" to 14" extinguishers to fit the doors. We also have a larger one in our storage box.
MVC-035S.JPG
MVC-036S.JPG

We put two Marine type extinguishers on the rear doors. We could not find a great place to install, but felt that if something was on fire, we would probably be jumping out of the FJ. So then you have quick access on both sides of the truck by just opening the rear doors. Installed here, they don't interfere with folks in the back. We had to use the shorter 12" to 14" extinguishers to fit the doors. We also have a larger one in our storage box.

It looks pretty centered, and a good use of space. I assume you mounted so the top the the FE sits a little lower than the top of the back seat? Does this kinda make you have to push the swing door a little harder to get it closed? Also for all those passangers that are vertically challenged, they slide the front seat back and lean the seat back...does that interfere at all?

Last and hopefully least. I can barely make out what you used to secure the extinqisher. Did you drill behind into the door? And in the event we hope never happens, and that is that you have to use one....is a ziplock type tie down that can be easily replaced? I have to imagine its pretty strong since you only used one strip...unless there is another strip at the top i can't see.

or i guess it could be a rubber stretch, and if so what did you use to keep it secure from movement? i like the set up, but hate rattles and stuff coming loose. i'm a baby with stuff like that!!:crybaby::crybaby:

I used the stock mounting hardware that came with the extiguisher. I removed the cap on the arm rest and that gave me access to the inside of the door without having to remove the door panel. Then I used stainless steel bolts and a good sized flat washer on the inside finished with a nylock nut. This has proved to date, a secure and rattle free install. I have taken the truck off road often and no rattles and no flying extinguihers :)

As for seat clearence issues, none from the front seat, you have to sit in the back seat with the extingusher and have someone in the front moving the seat back and lean back in normal driving positions. Then mark where you need to mount it. Remember that I used 2 smaller sizes than you might first pick. Thats why the marine application worked as boats have space issues too.
Now when you fold down the rear seat, you have to open the door or remove the extingusher temporaraly. Again, nothing is perfect but it works for us and I love the quick access.

I used the stock mounting hardware that came with the extiguisher. I removed the cap on the arm rest and that gave me access to the inside of the door without having to remove the door panel. Then I used stainless steel bolts and a good sized flat washer on the inside finished with a nylock nut. This has proved to date, a secure and rattle free install. I have taken the truck off road often and no rattles and no flying extinguihers :)

As for seat clearence issues, none from the front seat, you have to sit in the back seat with the extingusher and have someone in the front moving the seat back and lean back in normal driving positions. Then mark where you need to mount it. Remember that I used 2 smaller sizes than you might first pick. Thats why the marine application worked as boats have space issues too.
Now when you fold down the rear seat, you have to open the door or remove the extingusher temporaraly. Again, nothing is perfect but it works for us and I love the quick access.

the last part you said was either/or right? so really, as long as you open the back door to lean the seats down you don't have to remove the FE? i liked the suggestion of the 12' and 14', which did you use?

so the extinguisher comes with everything you need to mount except the stainless steal bolts, washer and nylock nut? if thats the case do you remember the sizes? only for my laziness factor!! intsead of trial and error, i would like to go in and buy the right size for all first!

we have marine shops all over the place. what should I expect to pick those up for? Marine shops, like auto dealerships get kinda proud of their name....even though most are made by the same distributer.

Thanks for your help, may be something I will tackle this weekend. seems easy enough, and something I wont get griped at to much for!

i have to make this a priority...haven't had one the last couple of trail events i have gone to. knowing he inspectors helps a little, but when one says "this is the last time I let you slide" i kinda have to take him at his word!! it would suck not to be able to trail cause of something so simple. and when i say simple i mean the part, not taking away the tremendous safty feature of having one or two or three in your truck. it is a MUST HAVE, otherwise they wouldn't require them right?!?!

Its been about a year since the install but here goes. I bought the 2 FE at Orchard Supply Hardware, thats a general hardware store that has a camping / boat isle. So I think lots of recreational, hardware or sporting good stores may have them. The FE is made Kidde, the well known company. I measured it and its 11 inches from top to bottom. As for the bolts, I used tapered phillips head screws about 1 inch long. As for the size, look at the FE mounting bracket you get with the FE to see the hole size. Get a 1 inch fender washer to place on the back side of the door panel with the nylock nut . BEFORE you drill a hole, place it where you think it will work and have someone move the seat in the normal positions that you use. Remove the bottle holder in the arm rest on the dorr and it will give you access to what you need. Takes about an hour for both sides. Hope that helps !

Found these two gems today. Noone in my vehicle ever uses the bottom drink holders in the suicide door, so it's perfect. I put two in. One on each side. They fit tight to so they don't roll around or move, so no need to use the included brackets.
image0007yb8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom