Fire Extinguisher Mounted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Markuson

SILVER Star
Threads
Thought I'd post another "Wheelchair Mod..." -This one for quick access to an extinguisher:

IMG_0077.JPG

If you have short & tall drivers...this might restrict how far forward you can slide your seat (though you can take the extinguisher off if you absolutely MUST slide it way forward. It uses the mounts that come with various extinguishers, so if this larger one I have mounted is too big, you can always mount a thinner or shorter one. So far, I'm pretty happy with this setup. Heck, if you had a fire after a bad collision, you might even be able to flip the rubber hose upward and flood a cab fire without even removing it from the base...

Made by these guys:

CLICK: Home

Photo from their site:

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 4.39.30 PM.png

Markuson

Last edited:
I had a Triumph in High School. Enough said.

Two of my BMW have both been on fire at least once each (long story). Needless to say, a fire extinguisher is an insanely good idea to keep on hand.

I've put out three car fires with extinguishers, belibeve it or not...but none of them were my own vehicle. I have an eerie propensity to be the first on the scene at accidents, fires, and weird occurrences. So ya, I always have several extinguishers in my truck...but this finally gives me an option in my own emergency...without having to exit the vehicle.

Last edited:
I've put mine in the bottom shelf of the glove box, tight fit, but it works.

Mine is on the passenger side. I will comment that if it fits in your glovebox it's not worth carrying. Last time I used mine, 4 minis were used before I came along. Full size or nothing

IMG_0127.JPG

Mine is on the passenger side. I will comment that if it fits in your glovebox it's not worth carrying. Last time I used mine, 4 minis were used before I came along. Full size or nothing

View attachment 1364806

Agree on size, though I successfully stopped the fires with what I'd call "medium" units (full length, but skinnier than the one in my posted photo.

The reason I mounted it on the driver's side is because, due to the unusual sliding mechanism on 200 seats, the unit does not move with the seat. So this limits how far forward the seat can go.

Since I am nearly always the driver, I didn't want to limit the forward movement of the passenger seat, since it gets pushed forward to fit big cargo sometimes.

i actually have more extinguishers in my drawers in back...but in a bad accident, those might not be accessible...so I like that this solution puts it within my reach.

I'm also interested in other locations for at least two more. Not sure about issues with airbag locations, but I'm interested in pillar mounts. Maybe rear of the 2nd row seats.

Anyone wanna share where they have mounted theirs? I'd be interested.

Extinguisher size usefulness is related to the size of the fire and that's where speed matters. Small, instantly accessible, is better than large, mounted somewhere you have to get to. Seconds count, so as I put together my rig, there will be one small one in each of the rear doors and one right on top in my tool bag. I've experienced 2 vehicle fires, one in a Ford and one in a VW and both vehicles were saved because someone had a small extinguisher out in seconds.

Extinguisher size usefulness is related to the size of the fire and that's where speed matters. Small, instantly accessible, is better than large, mounted somewhere you have to get to. Seconds count, so as I put together my rig, there will be one small one in each of the rear doors and one right on top in my tool bag. I've experienced 2 vehicle fires, one in a Ford and one in a VW and both vehicles were saved because someone had a small extinguisher out in seconds.

It's true that a small one used quickly could be better than a large one used too late.
With this install, though, I figure I have both fast and full size.

I did use one small one successfully in another scenario. The problem is...you can't always get the angle, and if it takes multiple attempts, more is helpful. But like you...my 100 series always had two smalls in the rear cup holders in the window. Unfortunately, the "holes" back there in the 200 are TINY. Too tiny for my smaller refillable units. Man, those holes are SO small...I don't know what they expected anyone to put there...

Last edited:
Did this bracket fit without drilling, bending, cutting or otherwise modifying the bracket and/or vehicle?

Did this bracket fit without drilling, bending, cutting or otherwise modifying the bracket and/or vehicle?

Yes. It fits without any modification.
All you do it remove the bolts at the seat base...add this bracket...then replace the bolts.

You do end up leaving the plastic cover off of the seat base where the bolts are, but I have never once given this any thought post-install. Visually, it is insignificant next to a fire extinguisher and Weathertechs. I suppose if you REALLY wanted the little plastic cover on there, you could modify it, but I frankly didn't care.

Great - will order today.

I stuck mine in the driver door pocket at the last minute before going on a wheeling trip, planning to mount it somewhere else later. Eventually I realized there was nowhere that would allow faster access, and I agree that a small extinguisher rapidly deployed is better than a large one I can’t get to.

DE6FCB27-067C-4CC1-A188-0355CC4B104A.jpeg

Unfortunately, the "holes" back there in the 200 are TINY. Too tiny for my smaller refillable units. Man, those holes are SO small...I don't know what they expected anyone to put there...

Tippy Cups. :rofl:

(I once saw a review of a Land Rover LR4 - which had good size cup holders BTW - big. And one complaint of the reviewer was that they were to large to securely hold a Tippy Cup. Also, her "off road" test was across an open field - like a playground open field.)

I stuck mine in the driver door pocket at the last minute before going on a wheeling trip, planning to mount it somewhere else later. Eventually I realized there was nowhere that would allow faster access, and I agree that a small extinguisher rapidly deployed is better than a large one I can’t get to.

View attachment 1626853
What extinguisher is that? (Brand, model, or even capacity would help). Might be a great 1st step for me, And I never use that spot anyway. I guess I can always measure and Google, but yours looks like a perfect fit

Love the idea, and this isn't unique to this mount but how secure would those extinguishers be in a collision? Does anyone make a vehicle-rated release clamp? The ones posted look like a home grade clamp used for mounting to a wall.

Love the idea, and this isn't unique to this mount but how secure would those extinguishers be in a collision? Does anyone make a vehicle-rated release clamp? The ones posted look like a home grade clamp used for mounting to a wall.

This is a legitimate concern, and why I mounted mine using H3R hardware which is NHRA Accepted and designed to Mil-Spec 810G and tested to withstand 27G in all directions.

Universal Fire Extinguisher Seat Mounts | H3R Performance
Extreme Duty Quick Release Brackets | H3R Performance

Here's what mine looks like mounted:

LC200ExtMount1_05FEB18_zpsdmgjkxrk.jpg

And after pulling the "Pull To Release" flag:

LC200ExtMount2_05FEB18_zpszsjarium.jpg

With the extinguisher released, the seat can be moved all the way forward without any obstruction from the mount.

The mount allows the reinstallation of the seat rail front covers which makes for a neater looking install than some other brackets.

Simply rotate the mount upwrads a little - easy with the Nylok nuts which maintain an even tension - and the floor mats are easily removed for cleaning.

I've run this setup for several months now and have had no problems with use or interference with my feet.

Definitely don't worry about the integrity of the mount and its ability to withstand a crash - or even just getting knocked loose.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom