Fire extinguisher mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

I decided to start a new thread regarding the mounting of the fire extinguisher so hopefully everyone will see it vesus in the older thread(about how awesome are 80's are)

what i suggested was a mount similar to what i have seen the ferrari guys use to mount a fire extinguisher right in the front floor and this could work for us as well...

here is a webpage with details about it:

http://www.tradetutor.com/raceprep/

may be too small but still could come in handy

doug

Douglas,

Thanx, cool idea,

Um, I guess those eyetalian cars tend to burn up often? :dunno:

If they use Lucas stuff, I can see the need.(sorry Jim)

Hmm..Pretty neat way of doing it. But doesn't it get in the way when passenger sit?

" Um, I guess those eyetalian cars tend to burn up often? "

yea i guess some of the older ones tend to get a little neglected in the fuel hoses dept,then poof there she goes!!!!

still wouldnt mind having a tr in the garage along with my 80 though!!(make mine white like the one from miami vice)

i dont think the extinguisher is too in the way unless the passenger tucks their feet up against the edge of the seat,then it might be in the way,i guess you would just have to experiment with how far out to make to bracket extend...

doug

Close to where I have mine mounted. .... it's right in front of the drivers seat. Bolted to the floor. Easy to get to in a rush. No fancy bracket though. Hmm. I got 2 Fers in my neighborhood and they don't have any ext.

I have a 4D Mag light mounted on the 'hump' at the front of the drivers seat. It generally stays out of the way, but I do kick it once a week. You could likely fit a small fire extinguisher, but I think it may be problematic.

I like the fabricated mount - that's a really good idea - nice and secure (but I will still vote for a big fire extinguisher in the back)

Cheers, Hugh

While we're on the subject, mine is A-B-C but I am considering CO2. The flaming Ferrari guys were talking about halon.

What type of extinguisher do you guys prefer and why?

-B-

I've got my mag light in front of the seat too. I kick it loose once in a while. Junk could put stuff there 'cause he's a short angry man. I need the seat all the way back and still need more leg room.

I had a fairly major fire last week while checking my TBI fuel pressure. Leaky pressure fitting plus backfiring TBI equals exciting fire. I shot it once with the CO2 and no fire. Ever fire a ABC into an engine fire with the air cleaner off? big mess. Little fires become a big problem.

i have an old(1979)F100 with a real nice built 302 in it and upon initial startup my brother had failed to notice that he had majorly squished the carb o-rings,and initial timing caused backfires and poof,we had a fire that melted the aircleaner spacers for the aftermaket holley aircleaner.....
i think my bro caught that thing on fire twice before i banned him from the garage til i fixxed the fuel leaks,then no more fires.....
of course he just blames it on carbs(hates carbs,says fuel injection is king,i say ya,are ya gonna pay for it)
cruiser content: this 302 is destined for the project 40 i am currently in search of,but i do have a complete fuel injection manifold/setup for it from a 91 mustang gt to make it more driveable,but i gotta find the 40 first!!!!!!(only two around here that i know of,one driving,the other sitting,thats my most likely suspect,but im still looking!!!!!!

doug

I agree, to save a major clean-up Co2 is the way to go. I'm trying to replace my dry chemical unit right now as well. The downside of gas units is smaller throw range (eg 8 feet) and they can be quite heavy (5lb unit = ~14lbs, 10lb unit 28lbs and both of these discharge in ~10 seconds). Then again, not having to clean your engine with a toothbrush = priceless.

For comparison (based on one manuf site I looked at) a 5lb dry chem unit only weighs 10lbs, has a 12-18' throw range, goes for ~14 seconds and is rated as 3A:40BC and would be much cheaper.

Halon is no longer manufactured (1994) because it is an environmental hazard (lots of CFCs). You can buy recycled units as they are still used in aircraft etc, but expect to pay very big $ (eg 3lb Halon unit = US$160 for a 1A:5BC = very small). I think they make some other type of gas now that is similar (Halotren?). If you really want one look for a commercial fire supplier or AC/Marine suppliers.

Cheers, Hugh

PS, I think there was a post on the Pirates board of a guy's house after he had been working on his Cruiser (maybe some other brand). Nothing left but ashes, he did get out with his life.

IIRC, he was working on the fuel system and gas vapor ignited from the heat of his incandesent work lamp (regular light bulb). Good reason to buy a floro work lamp!

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh - I think that was the dude that just had the cover shot last year in TT. Later TT ran an article about it. Talk about sucky.

What's this CO2 stuff about. I use CO2 for my onboard air, but for fire exting too? Obviously there must be something different.

I could try the below, but that may make it worse. :D
Gas%20Grill.jpg
Notice I cleaned some up :D Rumor has it that this was Rogue, but dunno for sure :eek: :dunno: :D

CDN,

What mounts did you use for your maglite and where did you get them? Currently mine is buried back with the jack.

Any info or pics would be helpful.

What's this CO2 stuff about.  I use CO2 for my onboard air, but for fire exting too?  Obviously there must be something different.

mmmmmm, a methane BBQ, sounds good.....

It is one and the same stuff.  Fires rely on the 'fire triangle' of heat, oxygen and fuel to burn.  Fire extinguishers focus on knocking one or more of these elements out of the chain to contain the fire.  For example, water is used to cool fires, dozers are used to remove fuel in forest fires, and the one I always love, the use of explosives to put out oil well fires - consume the oxygen, quickly!

My understanding is that dry chem units operate by smothering the fuel source and starving the fire of oxygen.  In fact, a by-product of the chemical decomposing is CO2 (from what I remember) which also helps to displace oxygen.

Pressurized, liquid CO2 works on the same basis.  As it is released, it creates a gas (like it does when it fills your tires).  The CO2 displaces the oxygen and helps to contain the fire by smothering it in CO2.  There may be a bit of a cooling element, but probably not that important for a raging fire.

While both dry chem and CO2 are quick to go (usually 10 seconds), you would be amazed how how effective they can be.  In a previous life, I used to get annual training at a fire station.  They would give us a small dry chem fire extinguisher and light a 'flash pan' filled with diesel fuel (something like 10' x 8').  You would approach the fire and S L O W L Y loft the chemical onto the fire, smothering it from front to back.  You can conain a fire of this size if you are careful.  If you 'shoot your load too fast'  :ugh: you will find that the fire doesn't go out and you spread flaming fuel everywhere!   :slap:  If you can't contain the fire and your extinguisher is gone, drop it and back away facing the fire and wait for the pros!

Not sure what you would have to do to mod a tire unit to fight fires.

Cheers, Hugh

Any other mounting ideas for fire extinguishers beside right around the drivers seat?

Even though it's not as practical, I'd like it a little more out of the way.

Perhaps somewhere in the back? I guess the engine compartment is no good eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom