Fire Extinguisher (Glad it wasn't my rig) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did you get there extinguisher on your rear seat belt like that?

Just drill a couple holes through the plastic and bolt it up. I took some thinner metal I had laying around (maybe 10 gauge) and drilled matching holes through it to run the bolts through, so it's bracketed front and rear. In a crash it will not come off unless that entire panel does, which would be near impossible with the seat belt bolt holding it in place. It's a great spot to mount an extinguisher, though not very close to the driver.

GreenTruck...That is the exact fire extinguisher I had. No real way to check them and obviously didn't work. Looks like online Kiddie had a recall on it in 08-09...and they probabably should do another for 09-10 as mine didn't work worth a darn. I would hate for you to need that and you end up trying to pee on the fire to put it out becuase that would have done a better job than mine.

Get an extinguisher with a pressure gauge, and check it at least once a month.

I check mine every time I open my rear hatch (it's mounted on the inside of the rear hatch next to the seatbelt). Sometimes not every month, but usually more often.

As far as other extinguishers goes, you need to be careful. CO2 is often not used because of it's unique properties, namely that it's not lighter than air and displaces oxygen. So say you're putting out a fire and someone has collapsed on the floor inside the vehicle, it'd be theoretically possible that the CO2 could collect inside the vehicle and smother the person without you even realizing it.

CO2 is a good way to put out fires, but even fire fighters tend to prefer ABC extinguishers for that reason.

Just drill a couple holes through the plastic and bolt it up. I took some thinner metal I had laying around (maybe 10 gauge) and drilled matching holes through it to run the bolts through, so it's bracketed front and rear. In a crash it will not come off unless that entire panel does, which would be near impossible with the seat belt bolt holding it in place. It's a great spot to mount an extinguisher, though not very close to the driver.

That plastic panel is not particularly strong. I would be worried about it coming off completely (it's only held on with one clip, a peg, and the rear door weatherstrip) even with the seatbelt bolt reinstalled, although maybe I'm not completely understanding your install. Does the 10 gauge material get bolted down with the seatbelt bolt too?

I do like that location, but I would try to incorporate the big seat belt bolt into the mount somehow.

That plastic panel is not particularly strong. I would be worried about it coming off completely (it's only held on with one clip, a peg, and the rear door weatherstrip) even with the seatbelt bolt reinstalled, although maybe I'm not completely understanding your install. Does the 10 gauge material get bolted down with the seatbelt bolt too?

I do like that location, but I would try to incorporate the big seat belt bolt into the mount somehow.

The panel, as you said, is held on with the clip, peg, and the weatherstripping. If you have the third row seat belts, that bolt holds it in quite well too.

The bracket behind the panel doesn't extend to the seat belt bolt, though it could. It's not a bad idea at all, just one I feel is unnecessary.

CIMG0001.jpg

CIMG0002.jpg

I've actually grabbed the extinguisher and thrown my weight against it trying to pull it off (with the panel in place and bolted in). The truck moves before that panel does, and given the relatively light weight of the extinguisher, there's not much mass for it to pull loose.

I would like to have another extinguisher somewhere else that's closer to the driver, perhaps under the drivers seat as I've seen done elsewhere.

GreenTruck...That is the exact fire extinguisher I had. No real way to check them and obviously didn't work. Looks like online Kiddie had a recall on it in 08-09...and they probabably should do another for 09-10 as mine didn't work worth a darn. I would hate for you to need that and you end up trying to pee on the fire to put it out becuase that would have done a better job than mine.

addicted56,
I checked the Kidde website and this particular extinguisher is not one of those involved. Of course, this doesn't mean that this model doesn't need recalled. You may want to call Kidde and report the experience you had. Recalls tend to be consumer-driven, unfortunately, based on bad experience.

Here's a link to the recall notice:
http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/Templates/Pages/Template-66/0,8070,pageId=70140&siteId=384,00.html

The particular extinguisher in my photo does have a pressure "indicator" although it's not a gauge, per se. You push down the white button on top and it should return by springing back up -- or it's no good. Mine passed. Yes, they do recommend a monthly check of the pressure to be certain it's still OK.

FYI, any extinguisher of this size is going to be limited if it's a conventional dry chemical type (and not halon, etc). The label on mine says to expect 8 to 12 seconds of discharge time -- and that is not going to put out a big fire even if it's working properly. Thus my plan to supplement this one -- hopefully before I ever need it. I've carried extinguishers in my vehicles for 35 years and been fortunate I or someone else hasn't needed mine. Knock on wood.

Last edited:
FYI, any extinguisher of this size is going to be limited if it's a conventional dry chemical type (and not halon, etc). The label on mine says to expect 8 to 12 seconds of discharge time -- and that is not going to put out a big fire even if it's working properly. Thus my plan to supplement this one -- hopefully before I ever need it. I've carried extinguishers in my vehicles for 35 years and been fortunate I or someone else hasn't needed mine. Knock on wood.

I don't carry my extinguisher to put out big fires. It's for putting out people, not vehicles.

I don't carry my extinguisher to put out big fires. It's for putting out people, not vehicles.

It works pretty good at putting out dogs, too, although that could be because they're mean, not on fire:lol:

...As usualy seems to be the case I was the first on scene to an incident. I don't know if it is people are so crass in this world that they just don't care or they are all scared little girls and were raised with horrible values but none the less.

Don't forget our litigious society. I was on a bike ride a few years ago when a guy crashed and was knocked unconscious. I was really surprised that two of my good friends were keeping a distance. The guy came to and once I explained what had happened he wanted his helmet off (in pieces) and wanted to be moved because the pavement was hot. He still had use of his hands and I literally had to yell at him to stop moving.

After the emergency personnel left I couldn't find my friends. They kept their distance because of the severity of the accident and there were others volunteering to help. One was an attorney and the other a paralegal.

Sure enough a couple of months later I was subpoenaed for a statement. The first thing I did was call my friend the attorney. After my recollection of the accident the questions began, "How did you remove his helmet? Did you do this? Did you that? etc..." Fortunately I had done nothing but try to calm him and keep him from moving and others corroborated my story. Today guy is a quadriplegic (swelling in the brain or spine caused further paralysis) The city's attorney maintained the paralysis happened as a result of movement after the accident, not the accident itself. The only movement was by the guy himself and that's a natural reaction to a fall, he wanted to get up.

Someone else might have moved the guy off the road or worse trying to help. They could have been found at fault and sued for all they're worth. I'd do it again but I'd leave as soon as the professionals showed up and I wouldn't divulge any personal information.

Remember you NEED and ABC fire extinguisher for car fires that white one is only BC it wont put out the seat which is class A material Careful folks theres alot of cheap crap on the market due to insurance requirements.
Being a voly for years I recommend at least a 10 pounder in order to signifigantly knock a fire down till help arrives.
I carry a Badger it has saved property for me many times. If ya really wanna know all about extinguishers , contact your local fire dept. and take a class!!

Don't forget our litigious society. I was on a bike ride a few years ago when a guy crashed and was knocked unconscious. I was really surprised that two of my good friends were keeping a distance. The guy came to and once I explained what had happened he wanted his helmet off (in pieces) and wanted to be moved because the pavement was hot. He still had use of his hands and I literally had to yell at him to stop moving.

After the emergency personnel left I couldn't find my friends. They kept their distance because of the severity of the accident and there were others volunteering to help. One was an attorney and the other a paralegal.

Sure enough a couple of months later I was subpoenaed for a statement. The first thing I did was call my friend the attorney. After my recollection of the accident the questions began, "How did you remove his helmet? Did you do this? Did you that? etc..." Fortunately I had done nothing but try to calm him and keep him from moving and others corroborated my story. Today guy is a quadriplegic (swelling in the brain or spine caused further paralysis) The city's attorney maintained the paralysis happened as a result of movement after the accident, not the accident itself. The only movement was by the guy himself and that's a natural reaction to a fall, he wanted to get up.

Someone else might have moved the guy off the road or worse trying to help. They could have been found at fault and sued for all they're worth. I'd do it again but I'd leave as soon as the professionals showed up and I wouldn't divulge any personal information.

For those of us who like to help, this is a great illustration of the Good Samaritan law. It's important to know how it applies in your state and what the limitations are. The main points though are that:

1) Do not accept any type of compensation/reward or else the law doesn't apply to you.
2) Act rationally, to your level of training, and don't perform actions that aren't absolutely necessary, i.e. don't move someone just because the pavement is hot, don't remove helmet, etc.
3) Although possibly not required in your state, basic first aid, cpr, heimlich training, etc. will further strenghten your case should you have to go to court.
4) If you start rendering aid, do not leave the scene until it is necessary to call for needed medical assistance, a rescuer of equal or higher ability takes over, or continuing to give aid is unsafe.
5) If you choose not to act, at least call 911 or other emergency responders as some states require it.

**Uncle Grumpy- Glad to see you came out of it alright, good on you for not moving the guy and taking the proper actions.

The side of the freeway is such a dangerous place to be. Day or night, rain or shine, it really is a death zone.

I would never be out there with only a LC and it's 4-way flashers to protect me. It's just not worth it.

i carry a small extinguisher mounted horizontally in front of the driver's seat. It isn't perfect, but it *is* really easy to access from the driver's seat.

I also carry folded reflective triangles and a reflective vest under the driver's seat
because side of the road at night it is safer with some reflective gear

I plan to install a larger extinguisher somewhere, not sure when, not sure where, but I've seen how little the smaller extinguishers are capable of doing and believe that in a car fire they would only help a very little bit. The beer-can size ones can barely put out a kitchen fire. I don't think that they would be effective in any way for a vehicular fire. Not even "better than nothing" as they would distract you from pulling people/possessions out of a vehicle that is going to burn after you discharge your itty bitty extinguisher.

Is there any danger to keep an extinguisher in an enclosed vehicle during the summer months ?

It's 106 degrees today !!!

They have a safety valve, so worst case scenario it should pop long before it gets dangerous (IE: explosion). I doubt that it'd get hot enough to explode anyway, at the most extreme you might hit 200* inside the vehicle but that's not enough to make it explode, even if the safety valve was disabled.

From Mythbusters:

If thrown into a fire, a carbon fire extinguisher with a safety valve will explode and put out the fire.
BUSTED
The carbon fire extinguisher did not explode due to the safety valve, and merely vented its contents over a span of fifteen minutes.

Yup, don't expect to perform any firefighting miracles with some of these small vehicle mount extinguishers. They simply are not big enough to get much done, and in fact could get you in a lot of trouble. They are okay for a fire in its infancy, or for keeping a fire at bay while trying to get someone out of harm, but once the fire gets fully involved, just let the vehicle burn and back away. Let the fire department deal with a fire of any size.

I've been through plenty of fire training - I'm not what I would even begin to call a firefighter, but I work for big oil, and our refinery, like every other refinery has its own fire dept. A training fuel fire burning, in say, a 4'x4' pan requires a 25 lds extinguisher to safely get the fire out, you can do it with plenty left in the extinguisher but you don't want to get left with nothing in it after the fire is out, just in case it flares back up. Save some for egress, and never turn you back on a fire, even after it's out, walk backwards away from it until you are at a safe distance.

One tip I found interesting that I got from a firefighter: if you find yourself surrounded by flame and have an extinguisher with you, aim the extinguisher at your feet and squeeze the trigger. The agent will hit the ground, spread and keep the fire away from you to let you get away (obviously this works if you get caught in a low burning fire).

I got to the truck pulled the pin reached under to spray it directly and got a little fart and that was it.

Another important thing to remember with dry powder extinguishers - especially vehicle mount extinguishers - is to remove them from their holders once in a while, tip them upside down and bang the bottom with your hand. This helps to break up the powdered agent; it tends to pack together tightly over time and this effect is compounded in a vehicle. Powder extinguishers will often fail you when you need them the most - sometimes the propellant doesn't discharge the powder if it is packed tightly together.

This might not have been the case with your extinguisher but it could explain your extinguisher "farting". I've seen it happen on a fuel truck at our local airport. The truck caught fire and the driver tried to put the fire out using the on board extinguishers, to no avail, because the agent had packed tight in the bottom of the extinguisher.

Even when you buy an extinguisher from the store, if you think about it, it could have been sitting on a pallet or on a shelf for some period of time. Remember to disturb the powder once in a while so it works!

I think that another advantage to horizontal mounting is that the powder, if it compacts, will be agitated by vehicle motion

or at least it would not compact into a puck as much as it could in a vertical mounting.

Another important thing to remember with dry powder extinguishers - especially vehicle mount extinguishers - is to remove them from their holders once in a while, tip them upside down and bang the bottom with your hand. This helps to break up the powdered agent; it tends to pack together tightly over time and this effect is compounded in a vehicle. Powder extinguishers will often fail you when you need them the most - sometimes the propellant doesn't discharge the powder if it is packed tightly together.

This might not have been the case with your extinguisher but it could explain your extinguisher "farting". I've seen it happen on a fuel truck at our local airport. The truck caught fire and the driver tried to put the fire out using the on board extinguishers, to no avail, because the agent had packed tight in the bottom of the extinguisher.

Even when you buy an extinguisher from the store, if you think about it, it could have been sitting on a pallet or on a shelf for some period of time. Remember to disturb the powder once in a while so it works!

The panel, as you said, is held on with the clip, peg, and the weatherstripping. If you have the third row seat belts, that bolt holds it in quite well too.

The bracket behind the panel doesn't extend to the seat belt bolt, though it could. It's not a bad idea at all, just one I feel is unnecessary.

CIMG0001.jpg

CIMG0002.jpg

I've actually grabbed the extinguisher and thrown my weight against it trying to pull it off (with the panel in place and bolted in). The truck moves before that panel does, and given the relatively light weight of the extinguisher, there's not much mass for it to pull loose.

I would like to have another extinguisher somewhere else that's closer to the driver, perhaps under the drivers seat as I've seen done elsewhere.

That is a great idea!

Here in Idaho it's a law to move left away from a law enforcement or emergency vehicle. Signs have been out for a few months and people are doing it. Like the spike strip sign idea.

CIMG0001.jpg

CIMG0002.jpg

I have also thought about using this spot for mine but this spot makes the extinguisher a significant missile if in an accident.:whoops: All it would take is for someone to pull out in front of you causing a rapid deceleration upon contact and the extinguisher is becomes lodged in the skull of an occupant.

IMHO - I think a good metal bracket for the extinguisher and being drilled through where the seatbelt mounts would be the most secure.

Don't know how I missed this thread, I remember when you sent me the pic heading up here. All I thought was.... ohhh Jason's Cruiser caught fire :grinpimp:

So did you get a new extinguisher?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom