Fire Damaged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a HDJ-81 VX (not LTD, but Turbo'd with Manual Gearbox so quite rare) and was shipping it across Canada when the transport trailer burnt up. My question is whether I could reasonably expect to recover and re-use the following parts:
- ARB Front Bullbar
- 4X4 Labs Rear bumper with swingout and carrier
- Rock sliders
- Pinsu Rack
- 3" SS Flow-Thru Aussi Exhaust
- 5 spd manual or any drive components?

Carriers Insurance has yet to adjust and payout the claim. Towing company won't let anything go until he's paid his $40k for cranes and cleanup. So yeah real S*** Show.

Anyway here's the before and after shots:

BEFORE
Loaded at Sudbury.jpg

AFTER
Fire Photo.jpeg

If your willing to get them cleared or sand blasted and painted or powder coated where applicable than I think this entire list of parts would be salvageable. And maybe even the wheels in addition.

- ARB Front Bullbar
- 4X4 Labs Rear bumper with swingout and carrier
- Rock sliders
- Pinsu Rack
- 3" SS Flow-Thru Aussi Exhaust
- 5 spd manual or any drive components?

Either way I would plan on being patient with the insurance company. I would not take a penny less than what you paid for the rig. Even if you have to hire an attorney.

Goodluck

If your willing to get them cleared or sand blasted and painted or powder coated where applicable than I think this entire list of parts would be salvageable. And maybe even the wheels in addition.

Either way I would plan on being patient with the insurance company. I would not take a penny less than what you paid for the rig. Even if you have to hire an attorney.

Goodluck
Thanks never considered the wheels. Attorney is on speed dial and is advising to stay in touch with adjuster and wait a few weeks.

The rack can not be used. There are 4 brackets that hold it to the top of the roof. In the pic, it looks like the front is gone.

The rack is aluminum. Odds are it is extremely warped from the heat, if not melted in some areas. If it is even remotely straight, it will need to be blasted and powder coated.

The front bumper will be badly warped. It would need to be blasted and painted. Fortunately, all the locked in heat stress from welding is now gone. I'm sure it has been annealed, but it will be VERY warped.

The rock sliders are a maybe. The heat stress is most likely removed, but they may be warped also.

I think the rear bumper can be salvaged. Again, it will need to be blasted and painted and the bearings in the swingouts will need to be replaced.

The carbon steel used in those applications are not a type of steel that will take a "hardening" from a heat and cool cycle, but they will warp.

The wheels are a hell no. If they've been through heat like that, it's too much of a safety issue to reuse a wheel that has been that close to the heat.

There is nothing else on that truck that will be usable after that kind of heat, particularly a transmission or any machined part.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the insurance payout covers all of it.

@BILT4ME has you covered but I'll add that you can get a sense of heat exposure for the lower side of your truck by looking below the 80. Based on the condition of the tires and white car on rear I'd be optimistic about the rear bumper. The sliders may be ok but look like they took more heat in the front so that's where' I'd be looking for damage from high heat on those.

I second the comment that all parts ate a total loss. The heat from that fire would have weakened to the pont that even if you could get the cleaned up and bolted up they would not last!

yeah, @BILT4ME hit it right on. The front of your rack is melted away, so no use there.
The rear bumper is a maybe as the rear tires are still there, so the heat might not have been too extreme in the rear.
The rest of the truck would be a hard no :(

The rack is aluminum. Odds are it is extremely warped from the heat, if not melted in some areas. If it is even remotely straight, it will need to be blasted and powder coated.

The front bumper will be badly warped. It would need to be blasted and painted. Fortunately, all the locked in heat stress from welding is now gone. I'm sure it has been annealed, but it will be VERY warped.

The rock sliders are a maybe. The heat stress is most likely removed, but they may be warped also.

I think the rear bumper can be salvaged. Again, it will need to be blasted and painted and the bearings in the swingouts will need to be replaced.

The carbon steel used in those applications are not a type of steel that will take a "hardening" from a heat and cool cycle, but they will warp.

The wheels are a hell no. If they've been through heat like that, it's too much of a safety issue to reuse a wheel that has been that close to the heat.

There is nothing else on that truck that will be usable after that kind of heat, particularly a transmission or any machined part.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the insurance payout covers all of it.
Yeah, unfortunately I think you're right on all counts. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

@BILT4ME has you covered but I'll add that you can get a sense of heat exposure for the lower side of your truck by looking below the 80. Based on the condition of the tires and white car on rear I'd be optimistic about the rear bumper. The sliders may be ok but look like they took more heat in the front so that's where' I'd be looking for damage from high heat on those.
Agreed

BTW Mudzlla....sorry for the big loss! I really hope you get taken care of!

Unbelievable. Sorry to see this. It is impossible for anyone to say definitively without seeing the truck up close. I would guess your armor would be fine with some treatment, the rest though who's to say. Best of luck @MUDZLLA

Damn, that's awful. An import too, which makes it that much worse. I hope you get the payout it deserves, and can put the money towards another good 80.

Damn, that's awful. An import too, which makes it that much worse. I hope you get the payout it deserves, and can put the money towards another good 80.
A cherry rig from the middle of nowhere... 170k, zero rust, nicest paint on the HDJs and strong as f**k.
C46D9D24-D595-482F-9A9C-E5359679E5B3.jpeg

Holy heck! thats Carters old truck! I'm sorry to hear man that truck was a thing of beauty in person, cannot believe I'm stumbling upon this on mud. He took real good care of it and loved her endlessly, I know he really didn't want to part ways with it. So sorry for your loss. The new VX limited looks great though!!

Cheers

The exhaust may also be salvageable, since it's made for higher heat...

But, honestly, given the extent of the damage, I was take the insurance, rather than risk reusing potentially heat-faulty parts.

This is a damn shame. I hope you get made whole by the insurance/trucking company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom