FIPG Needed to R&R Rear Locker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Y'all,

I am going to R&R my rear locker actuator this weekend. Do I need to get some FIPG for the job? I have Permatex Ultra Black. If a sealant is needed, will that do?

Thanks

There is a Permatex specifically for gear oil applications - of course.
Where in the locker actuator are the two FIPG applications, if you know, @Pascoscout ?
Thanks.

Double check the application for the Ultra Black.

Use the one called The Right Stuff on the right.

You can install, tighten, and fill with oil immediately. Good to 450°F.

It sets in one minute and it means that. Get it ready, apply it, bolt it on.

The Ultra Black must sit for a minimum of an hour before you place oil against it. If you don't, it will turn to goo and leak.

IMG_20210222_234228363.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing beats FIPG for our purposes. However, a few years ago I used grey permatex to seal my oil pans. It’s for high pressure applications and is very resistant to oil. It has held up well so far but in the future I think I’ll use the FIPG.

Thanks @Pascoscout, I appreciate you putting up those pages from the FSM.
For anyone looking at this thread, the FIPG flavor which Toyota calls for in this instance is the red/orange FIPG (not the more commonly used FIPG), which is currently part number 00295-01281.
I may use the Permatex Gear Oil RTV instead, because it's a little easier to come by.

Amazon product ASIN B0023GM2KK

Nothing beats FIPG for our purposes. However, a few years ago I used grey permatex to seal my oil pans. It’s for high pressure applications and is very resistant to oil. It has held up well so far but in the future I think I’ll use the FIPG.

+1

I’m a big fan of the Permatex grey / ultra grey - the one in the spray cheese can.

I cut some very thin mineral paper gaskets for my 3rds to my axle housings, smeared & let sit a light layer on the housing, stacked my gasket, another thin film & plopped the 3rds on.

If you follow the rules it works like a champ, I even let mine cure a good day or more before diff fluid went in (did drivelines, other crap & fluids were last order of business).

My motor drips here & there, but my axles are spot - on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom