finished rear bumper/tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
After researching the forum on rear bumper/carriers, a friend of mine introduced me to a custom fab guy ~ I finally took the plunge! My rear bumper was 90% finished in time for the recent Payette club run and I had some final tweaks wrapped up last week. The guy who fabbed it for me was very accomodating about building to the specs/options I was looking for. He used 1/4" steel - which after seeing the 3/16th's ARB front get dented - was desired. My requests: Mount the tire to the right (personal preference/smaller carier mechanism/less restricted view) and on the low side. It turned out a little too low and since he has repositioned higher up to where the bottom of the tire is just above the top of the bumper. He designed the carrier to have a cradle and a large center coarse threaded mount which a poly cone and spinner handle was used. The unit is secured down by a hole drilled through the assembly in the rear and locked. WAY easier to remove/install the big spare with this design! Under the rear corners I had him add extra plating underneath (since thats where I seem to hit). The exhaust was then cut and rerouted over the frame rail (keeping the resonator) and exited out the bumper itself. A different mount was built to correct the ocassional pipe rattle. This keeps my exhaust out of harms way now. I included an integrated receiver and had the electrical trailer connection built into the bumper as well for clearance and protection. Also added rocker protection hoops. He added the swing carrier locking pin and stop after the Payette run also. (dont realize how much you need those till you are parked on an incline!). The recovery points are actually plating that mounts to the frame then sandwiched by two metal layers to give it thickness. This way you are pulling direct to the frame vs a weld. In all, the bumper I always wanted at a much more affordable price. He has also done alot of custom work for several other guys I know and he does it very well. Just wanted to share :)

bunper.jpg

bumper 2.jpg

exhaust.jpg

Wow, nice work!

Nice. Really Nice!

... and the awesome fab guy's contact information is ??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in talking to the fabricator about an 80 bumper (or anything involving metal for that matter), please PM me and Ill shoot you his name and number.

If anyone is interested in talking to the fabricator about an 80 bumper (or anything involving metal for that matter), please PM me and Ill shoot you his name and number.

Really? A fabricator who doesn't want his name number, address etc. spread across every board possible?

Nice job, like the bumper also

Really? A fabricator who doesn't want his name number, address etc. spread across every board possible?

I wanted to call him first to let him know:

His name is Tommy Gort, phone is 480-200-0543. Email is tpgort@yahoo.com. He lives around Campbell and 36th Street.

Thanks Murf, I'll give Tom a call... :beer:

Very nice bumper Eric. Nice to see something different and well thought out.

The story continues…..
I just dropped my 80 off with Tommy to get a bumper built. Almost the same specs as Murf, but I added a second swing out with a ladder/basket. He also has come with a solution for using his tire carrier with different sized tires. I will post pictures next week.

Interestingly, I’m the first one to order a bumper sense Murf. He expects to get the bumper completed, sent out for powder coating, and returned to me in under 10 days.

If the quality of his work matches what he did for Murf, I can see a front bumper and sliders coming from his shop!

Cost? I’m cheap. If you are in Phoenix and want a bumper, you need to call Tommy.

Pete

Very nice. Did this design require cutting out your rear cross-member?

X2. I'm looking to do a bumper that keeps the cross member. I really like the exhaust outlet. Can you post more detailed pics of the receiver hitch?

Thanks
Dave

Interestingly, I’m the first one to order a bumper sense Murf. He expects to get the bumper completed, sent out for powder coating, and returned to me in under 10 days.

If the quality of his work matches what he did for Murf, I can see a front bumper and sliders coming from his shop!

Cost? I’m cheap. If you are in Phoenix and want a bumper, you need to call Tommy.

Pete

I am glad someone is using his skills - I think you will be happy with his finished product. Cant wait to see some pics Pete - or since hes down the road, stop by? :cheers:

That is the best looking fab job I've ever seen. Now those mud flaps gotta go.

Mud flaps are now trimmed up tight!

No, it does not.

X2. I'm looking to do a bumper that keeps the cross member. I really like the exhaust outlet. Can you post more detailed pics of the receiver hitch?
Thanks
Dave

Dave, heres a similar link posted in the 80's forum that includes several hitch pictures and went alot farther exploring different lock pins, etc. It starts the same but keep going! >> https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...e-carrier.html?highlight=finished+rear+bumper

Murf,

The way you rerouted the exhaust through the bumper leaves the muffler pointed down. Will/has this effected water crossings?

Cook

Pete, the tailpipe is angled down right at the exit point not unlike the stock tailpipe. Matter of fact it is almost the same shape other than it is mounted up higher. Ive experienced no issues even though Ive had it under water before. Ive left the engine running each time though.

A few people have sent questions about how much I paid. I’m more than happy to send a pm, but don’t want to post it up on the web. As a general statement, he is less expensive then all the big companies, including the diy kits. Keep in mind, Tommy is building, powder coating, and installing the bumper. Plus, no shipping charges and no labor on my part other then research idea for what I want on the internet. Also, he is more than happy to add personal touches, like my request for three mounting points for antennas.

A message was sent saying that a local fab shop will do a complete rear bumper with all the bells and whistles for $900.:hmm: If that is the case, and its quality work, then I overpaid. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom