Finished My Rear Swing Away Bumper!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally finished my rear bumper. I am happy with how it came out. The true test will be how it holds up on the trails this weekend. Two goofs, first I made the pivot point to close to the center and the tire hit the body when I opened it. So I had to move the pivot point out. The end result was good. Second, I never saw this coming, but when I welded the angled support to the tire holder, it drew up (proper english?) on the horizontal tube and put a slight curve in the horizontal tube. Doesn't effect the function, just cosmetic.
Now I'm gunna take it out and beat on it.

FJ40-Rear Bumper 001.jpg

FJ40-Rear Bumper 004.jpg

FJ40-Rear Bumper 008.jpg
FJ40-Rear Bumper 001.jpg
FJ40-Rear Bumper 004.jpg
FJ40-Rear Bumper 008.jpg

Looks good!
Is it an optical illusion or is the horizontal cross member in the 2nd picture bowing down under the weight of the tire

Looks good!
Is it an optical illusion or is the horizontal cross member in the 2nd picture bowing down under the weight of the tire

No it's not. It actually has a slight bow up, but not from weight, from the weld on the angled support.

What spindle did you use?

nice job , you don't see very many that swing from the left side . any reason why you did it this way ? just curious .

That looks AWESOME.

How much did it cost to FAB up?

Just wondering cuz the 4Plus stuff cost about $1000 + shipping and I've heard it is extremely heavy.

Those bumper price tags is what motivated me to invest in a welder and start learning. 2 bumpers later and the welder more than paid for it self already. I was able to use mostly scrap axle tubing and components from work. I wrote the company a check for a hundo to cover everything which is actually high considering I do the purchasing and buy steel by the truck load. If you had to go out and buy everything it would probably be a couple hundo.

What spindle did you use?

It was a trailer axle spindle from work. It is made out of 1.25" CD 1045. The bearing journals are 1" (.9995").

You're not the only one wanted to know how much but where did you get the pivot parts?

The spindle is from work and I made the rest. I bought a bushing that I had to lightly bore out because when I pressed it in the outer tubing, the I.D. actually compressed and would not fit over the spindle even though it fit perfect before I pressed it in. Then I just used some spindle washers, nut and cotter pin. The cap I made from tubing and fabbed the top, then drilled and tapped 3 set screws to hold it in place.

nice job , you don't see very many that swing from the left side . any reason why you did it this way ? just curious .

This may sound silly but, but I love the "Toyota" and "4WD" emblems on the pass side rear coner and I did not want to cover them up.

Damn fine work Tom! Mind if I drop my junk off at your house so you can do one for me?

Too bad we don't live closer Phil....we could get in all kinds of trouble together!

Where are you going tq mount your licence plate?

It is actually already mounted, look a the pics, the first pic it is all reflected from the flash on the camera. Then you can see the back of the lic plate in the pic with the swing away open. I have not mounted a light yet for the lic plate, I need to do that yet.

what thickness metal did you use for the bumper, supports, and tire carrier portion? 3/16" or 1/4"

By the way, great job!!! the cooler carrier looks is a nice addition.

Both horizontal main tubes are 2.173 x .149 wall. The main upright tire mount tube is the same. The angled support tubes for the tire mount are 1.75 x .188 wall. All of the support under the main horizontal tube is .375 plate along with the plate that the spare is mounted to. All of extra plate to cap the tubes and for the compression latch are .250.

It is actually already mounted, look a the pics, the first pic it is all reflected from the flash on the camera. Then you can see the back of the lic plate in the pic with the swing away open. I have not mounted a light yet for the lic plate, I need to do that yet.

Now I see it, thanks. Just trying to find a spot for mine thats not too low, I hate to put it on the spare. Good job!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom