Finished Metaltech Fenders and other stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ArmyFJ

Lookin’ for mud in all the wrong places.
GOLD Star
Threads
Well I finished the tube fenders.

I had to work a lot to get the out side lined up with the inside, symmetrical contour for the skin, a little bit of cutting extra tube off that I didn't have to for the drivers side. (I am sure I just messed something up on it). I made sure it was good to go lined up all over...It was perfect when I tacked it then after I went through and laid down the welds and put the skin on I put it back on and it was canted down. Pretty upset with that result. I will fix it when I get some of my patience back.

The rear quarters were pretty easy, but I still need to bodywork them a little. I had to drive it (my wife had been really good about letting me use the Suburban) the FJ40 is my DD. They came out a little off in the back; not exactly square to the tailgate. Another fix-it-later thing.

So to make it ~rust proof, my next-door neighbor has a compressor and HVLP gun so we sprayed a single coat of primer down to make it last until I decide to work on it a little more. About 3/4 of a quart (8.99 White Primer, and some 10.00 mineral spirits) and 1.5 hours later, OD green is gone.

Matthew
Bridge.jpg
DSC03393.jpg
DSC03395.jpg

They look more like factory fender than some of the aftermarket ones I've seen. Good job.
Gavin

Thanks. I was thinking about actually painting it white, but now seeing the primer on there. I am thinking more about Dune Beige. It will hid my mess-ups better any how.

Matthew

Thanks. I was thinking about actually painting it white, but now seeing the primer on there. I am thinking more about Dune Beige. It will hid my mess-ups better any how.

Matthew

x2. White is not a good color for a 40, in my opinion. The fenders look great though! I really want some but I don't know if I can bring myself to cut my side aprons...

Yeah. I am with you on the cutting. It made me sad to cut them. If you do get them. go really slow, I cut a little too much off the rear. Its fixable but it just looks a little funny right now. Metaltech has stock height fender kits too. (No cutting)

Matthew

You don't HAVE to cut the aprons....order a set of OE style tube fenders from Metal Tech. That's what I am doing now:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=152611&highlight=inners

Keep up the good work Matthew, my d.s. is getting skinned tonight and hope to have them painted and undercoating done in about a week. I want to put the last coat on the tub at the same time so it's all sprayed from the same mix for the best color match possible.

Thanks All.

Just waiting for my new soft top then hopefully some new Dune Beige paint.

Matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom