Finished front knuckle drum to disk upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bwalker16527

1974 FJ40 SBC V8 350 TH400
Threads
Just finished front knuckle drum to disk upgrade on 1974 FJ40. Bought 1976 FJ55 knuckles and birfields from Deadlew. Cleaned and painted knuckles, dust shield, arms. Bought new rotors and reman calipers. Bought knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Took some time but everything turned out great. Finished this morning
20170218_115652.jpg
20170218_134849.jpg
20170128_091534.jpg
drained the brakes and took for a test drive. Everything working well and it runs and stops nicely. On to the next project.

Nice going!!

isn't Fast Eddy using an 80 series booster ?

Are you using a booster on this rig ? I converted my 1966 LV to discs and I'm trying to figure out what to use to boost this beast.
I did not use booster. PO converted rear drums to disks with Monte Carlo disks. Here is MC i am using.
20170218_160747.jpg

the big round thing that the master connects to at the firewall is the booster

any way to describe how much better it stops. I just bought a 75 fj 40 fst and am considering doing the same thing. That is until I read a notice on CCOT and they describe there is more braking surface area on the drums. Now not sure if its worth the time and money.

Thanks for any info, have fun!!!

@CenTXFJ60

That cat rudely photobombing the hood adds to the drama, well done :beer:

any way to describe how much better it stops. I just bought a 75 fj 40 fst and am considering doing the same thing. That is until I read a notice on CCOT and they describe there is more braking surface area on the drums. Now not sure if its worth the time and money.

Thanks for any info, have fun!!!

@CenTXFJ60
It stopped ok with the drums. I read that if the drums get wet the stopping power is significantly reduced. Also the drums require significant maintenance. Disk stopping is better and lower maintenance.

It stopped ok with the drums. I read that if the drums get wet the stopping power is significantly reduced. Also the drums require significant maintenance. Disk stopping is better and lower maintenance.

Drums do nothing when wet, taken my all drum 45 through a few rivers and it takes a while to dry the brakes out to get anunhinged out of them, disk front now so sorted the issue.

Nice job. With regards to the swap to disc, if you own yours long enough you will tire of rebuilding or replacing wheel cylinders for drum brakes.

Mark sells an adapter that moves the booster out past the rib, it also converts the 3 bolt on firewall to 4 bolt to mount a booster. I run this is a 45 with disc brakes, 2f, 3 on tree aND Aisin 1 barrrel. Works great

Or cut firewall rib

However my 65 fj45 lv is bone stock drums......for my use that's just fine, but not a cheap option to go thru and do right.

Thanks for the info this lv is pretty crowded with a 2 f in it and the firewall rib in the way.

I made an adapter to get past the rib ( I'm a machinist) but I can't get enough stroke to create any pressure I did make the rod longer I'm thinking I need a larger bore master anyone have any thoughts on this .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom