Finished at last! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I have put the last parts on the FJ40 and am about finished with the project. Here is is:

Engine, Transmission, Xfer Case, both Axles overhauled. New brake, clutch and slave master cyl, new rear disc brakes, new radiator, all new seals and an Aqualu tub. Whew! Glad that is done! Now for some wheelin'
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_1528.jpg
IMG_1530.jpg

Very nice!

What year?
What drivetrain?
More info on front bumper?
How about more pictures under the hood and inside.
It is a 1978, stock drive train except for the ARB lockers F&R. Front bumper is from MAF 4+ 52100-4008 bumper. I will get some more pics soon. T

Man that is sweet...and in my favorite color :grinpimp:

The best of both worlds - classic looking but modded enough for good performance. Hats off to a very clean looking 40!

Looks great! Need more info on the drivetrain (pics) please...

Very nice...I'll be keeping an eye out for that one.:cheers:
Were those taken at Ryan field?

Word of experience concerning aluminum tubs, put a Zinc Anode somwhere on the tub - so electrolisys does not happen between the steel of the frame through the body mount / bolts / anwhere the aluminum touches steel (and the 12V electronics powering it all). The zinc plate will deterioriate as it is the softer inert metal, and can be changed easily every couple years. If you allways keep a zinc grounded to aluminum that touches steel, your tub will not oxidize or worse internally fail due to electrolisys.

Oval Weld-On Zinc Anode - 2 lbs, 8" strap
sinc.jpg

Word of experience concerning aluminum tubs, put a Zinc Anode somwhere on the tub - so electrolisys does not happen between the steel of the frame through the body mount / bolts / anwhere the aluminum touches steel (and the 12V electronics powering it all). The zinc plate will deterioriate as it is the softer inert metal, and can be changed easily every couple years. If you allways keep a zinc grounded to aluminum that touches steel, your tub will not oxidize or worse internally fail due to electrolisys.

Oval Weld-On Zinc Anode - 2 lbs, 8" strap
This sounds like important information. Where could I obtain the anode? Thanks, Terry

Very nice...I'll be keeping an eye out for that one.:cheers:
Were those taken at Ryan field?
Yes, I have a hangar that is my workshop/parts storage/junk yard.

Sure looks nice Terry. What a transformation!

This sounds like important information. Where could I obtain the anode? Thanks, Terry

I don't mean to alarm you, Aqualu is a great brand from what I heard; I just have lots of experience in aluminum & steel interactions, especially in the situation where there is contact, and a source of ground to interact with O2 to create electrolysis (or galvanic conduction). That is why your tub came with stainless harware and unique rubber body mount spacers - to reduce contact. By adding a pice of Zinc, which is much lower on the galvanic scale than steel, and lower still than aluminum, the electrolisis happens to the zinc, and not the body mounts, seams, etc.

Now this is not going to happend overnight, or even in a year but with a small current (any residual from wiring, stray voltage, normall stuff.), oxygen and regular steel, the point of contact with the most current will deterioriate into a crumbly substance that loses it's integrity. Most of what I am talking about refers to experience in the marine industry, which is accelerated due to saline (which speeds up electrolysis as it is a better conductor, and positive isotope) as well as my current field, where optical frames have been tried in various configurations for years, all resulting where there is an interaction in the lower galvanic medium failing (thus why we use alloy or titanium).

Now I know this is most likely TMI, and I am getting close to a BrotherRob length of post:grinpimp:, but it might be good idea to pick up a small zinc anode from anywhere on the net, and weld, or wire it directly to the tub (not steel) take a look at it now and again and you will be amazed as it starts to get smaller, and pitted due to the galvanic conduction of the two metals.

That's my 4 1/2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom