Finicky Hood Latch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have notice the last few time I had the hood up that it doesn't want to fully latch upon closing. Sometimes the mechanism slips a bit, premature latching and other times it doesn't want to latch and requires 2 or 3 good slams. Once it is closed, no problems, ie no wobbles or anything. Has anyone had this problem before? I am not sure it is a lubrication issue, but I may give that a shot w/ silicon spray.

Ross

I had the same problem years ago. I hosed it down with WD40 while manually operating the latch. It loosened up noticeably, and has not been a problem since.

I had a similar problem on my '95 after I removed the brace that goes across in front of the radiator to run wires for dual batt and Slee HL harness. The first time I did this, I removed the hood latch mechanism and it was a pain to get it in the right place again to get the hood to latch. There are 3 bolts that position the latch, 2 on the side and one below. Loosen all 3 and pull the latch up while tightening the bottom one (kinda takes 3 hands), then tighten the side bolts. Unless this isn't your same problem, then ignore everything I said... ;p

Had the same issue, WD-40 and its been fine, just gets gummed up.

It might be the cable not retracting fully after opening. I bet you'll find the hood opening lever in the cab is sticking out a bit, and if you push it in manually the hood latch slides over enough to catch the thingy on the hood.

I occationally have the same issue. The cause is the latch gets sticky and the cable doesn't return enough. My solution was to clean everything and leave it dry and use dry lube. If a wet lube is used it attracts too much crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom