Finicky Hood Latch

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by GeoRoss, Nov 10, 2005.

1. GeoRoss

GeoRoss

I have notice the last few time I had the hood up that it doesn't want to fully latch upon closing. Sometimes the mechanism slips a bit, premature latching and other times it doesn't want to latch and requires 2 or 3 good slams. Once it is closed, no problems, ie no wobbles or anything. Has anyone had this problem before? I am not sure it is a lubrication issue, but I may give that a shot w/ silicon spray.

Ross

2. Atticus

Atticus

I had the same problem years ago. I hosed it down with WD40 while manually operating the latch. It loosened up noticeably, and has not been a problem since.

3. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a similar problem on my '95 after I removed the brace that goes across in front of the radiator to run wires for dual batt and Slee HL harness. The first time I did this, I removed the hood latch mechanism and it was a pain to get it in the right place again to get the hood to latch. There are 3 bolts that position the latch, 2 on the side and one below. Loosen all 3 and pull the latch up while tightening the bottom one (kinda takes 3 hands), then tighten the side bolts. Unless this isn't your same problem, then ignore everything I said... ;p

4. CreeperSleeper

CreeperSleeper SILVER Star

Just take off the hood... It helps with cooling, too!

5. Montana Cruiser

Montana Cruiser

Had the same issue, WD-40 and its been fine, just gets gummed up.

6. OZCAL

OZCAL

It might be the cable not retracting fully after opening. I bet you'll find the hood opening lever in the cab is sticking out a bit, and if you push it in manually the hood latch slides over enough to catch the thingy on the hood.

7. IBCRUSN

IBCRUSN

Media:
    Albums:
    I occationally have the same issue. The cause is the latch gets sticky and the cable doesn't return enough. My solution was to clean everything and leave it dry and use dry lube. If a wet lube is used it attracts too much crap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.