F'ing 2F Carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I'm starting to loose my sense of humor about my 60's quaint carb set up. (and just about everything else, for that matter)

These days, I get about two weeks of sweet running out of the damn thing, and then I have to tear the carb down for weird problems...first time, the float was sticking and the accelerator pump was fried. Next, it was running erratically - tore it down, cleaned it all up, put it back together and it ran fine for a few more weeks...then the accelerator pump was acting up again (it wouldn't plunge properly) Pulled it apart, cleaned it up, ran great for two weeks...now the thing stalls out after I drive it at highway speeds. I can dwaddle around town for a bit, and it's all good. Get the motor running above 2500 rpm for more than a few minutes, and it won't idle at all. Stalls out dead.

Here's where ti get's f'ing better. Let it sit for a few hours - starts up and idles just fine. Runs like a champ.

I'm thinking this time around it's something with the float adjustment - any advice?

Another possibility is an egr valve that is sticking open. It is easy to check, just pull the vacuum line off the actuator. While it is idling, if you apply a vacuum, the engine should stall at idle. Apply some positive pressure to seat the valve closed. You can leave the vacuum line off the egr actuator and simply drive the truck. The egr is normally closed, except on a hot engine above idle. If the engine operates normally, you might have a bad egr valve or the egr modulator.

Drain your tank, change the fuel filter, check your fuel pump. Check EGR and all vac connections. I would pull the carb and have it professionally rebuilt.

I checked out the EGR system and did find a little weirdness - I haven't had a chance to test it yet though - all of the other cars in the household are breaking down too...they come first - but symptoms are pointing in that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom