Finding the timing window on a 1991 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to the forum, recently acquiring both a 1991 Land Cruiser and a 1997 Lexus LX450, but this post is about the 1991. I have been searching the forum concerning issues with distributor timing and removal/replacement procedures. I will likely need help with that subject in the near future, but for today I will try and help others who have inquired about the location of the timing inspection window. I have added images that I believe are somewhat self-explanatory; however, for the novice (including myself), locating this window is/was not an easy task.

The first image shows what you will typically encounter (using mine as an example) with air cleaner hoses removed in your search for the elusive timing inspection window. What you are trying to locate behind all that mess, resides between the starter and the engine block, cast into the transmission housing adaptor. It is impossible to see on an aged engine, so I had to get up on a step-stool and reach into the vicinity where the shop manuals show its approximate location. If you are simply looking for an open window in that area, on an unmolested engine, you will not find it. You must get greasy, dirty, and not be afraid of the creepy crawlies or whatever lurks within; feel for it with your bare hands! But still, you will not find the window; what you will find is a very soft black rubber insert/cover that blends in very well with the surrounding area due to layers of grime (see 2nd and 3rd images). Once you have found that soft rubber insert, locate the pull tab and pull it out towards the front of the engine. You will be amazed! The elusive timing inspection window becomes oh so obvious (4th and 5th images). Kind of makes you feel stupid, once found, after spending about an hour with a flashlight, going back and forth between the light and the manual! The rest appears to be relatively easy compared to finding the inspection window. I hope this helps!

3fe-land-cruiser-1991-timing-mark-port-001f.JPG

3fe-land-cruiser-1991-timing-mark-port-001c.JPG

3fe-land-cruiser-1991-timing-mark-port-001d.JPG

3fe-land-cruiser-1991-timing-mark-port-001b.JPG

3fe-land-cruiser-1991-timing-mark-port-001a.JPG

I ended up getting a wireless endoscope off Amazon for $30 and adjusting timing and valves on the 3FE cannot be easier.
Have endoscope positioned in front of the timing window and it even comes with a light. Connect the camera to your phone via wifi and you can now turn the crank and watch the viewing window via your phone while you were under the car to set timing @ BTDC.
CHeers.
20210831_192434.jpg

Screenshot_20210903-183606 (1).jpg

I ended up getting a wireless endoscope off Amazon for $30 and adjusting timing and valves on the 3FE cannot be easier.
Have endoscope positioned in front of the timing window and it even comes with a light. Connect the camera to your phone via wifi and you can now turn the crank and watch the viewing window via your phone while you were under the car to set timing @ BTDC.
CHeers.
View attachment 2794017
View attachment 2794019
Great idea on that as I was wondering how I was going to be in two places at once...

On a somewhat similar subject as part of this thread, the reason for the timing window search was because I suspect my distributor is bad and am in the process of replacing it. As you can see from my initial images, the distributor cap had been changed to a non-original Bosch type with a passive/static vent, not the dynamic (if you will) dual port vent as with the original. After reading the threads in this forum related to aftermarket non-ported replacement caps, I believe there is moisture damage to the distributor pickup coils (see 2nd/3rd images). I have performed the due diligence in this case and followed the prescribed troubleshooting procedures, therefore my conclusion.

My point with this is: I am using a Spectra Premium TY35 distributor as a service/test replacement and was wondering if anyone has had experience with these? It is configured the same as the original to include the two vent ports. I will go back with an original once I prove my theory out, but just curious if anyone has had any experience with Spectra?

1991-distributor-bosch-cap-001c.JPG

1991-distributor-bosch-cap-001a.JPG

1991-distributor-bosch-cap-001b.JPG

1991-distributor-spectra-001a.JPG

I have not had good luck with Spectra distributors, but for GM products.

@Skitz just pulled his 3F-E, maybe you can buy parts from him? See his swap thread here.

@Skitz just pulled his 3F-E, maybe you can buy parts from him? See his swap thread here.
Short of new OEM (if one can be found) what would be a good aftermarket alternative (if any)? I understand from experience that Toyota quality is impeccable, and the chinese after-market replacement parts are junk (that is immediately obvious when parts are compared side by side). So what/who else would be an acceptable substitute/supplier?

Short of new OEM (if one can be found) what would be a good aftermarket alternative (if any)? I understand from experience that Toyota quality is impeccable, and the chinese after-market replacement parts are junk (that is immediately obvious when parts are compared side by side). So what/who else would be an acceptable substitute/supplier?
@jonheld could maybe answer that better than I.

Okay, you were spot on. Got the new SPECTRA TY35 distributor; looked good but could not get it to install. After about an hour of trying using the FSM procedure, I decided to check if the original would reinstall using the same procedure; it fit right in the first try. So my only conclusion can be: the SPECTRA TY35 is not an acceptable substitute; do not waste your time. I started to get my calipers out to measure the shaft-end thicknesses and chamfer differences on the two, but got my camera instead. Upon taking the below image, it was oh so obvious the calipers would have been just a waste of time. You can see for yourself. I suppose there may be a way to force the TY35 to fit, but why would you? I also found the included rotor could rotate back and forth several degrees on the shaft, in spite of the alignment notch; again, an issue with physical dimensions/tolerances. Avoid this product!
So now I am looking for a good OEM distributor! Mine has an open pickup coil.

distrubutor-shaft-comparison-001a.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom