Finding the Right Price? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is probably a topic with a lot of opinions, but I'll ask anyway: what's the best way to go about identifying the proper price range for a 100 series? Given model year, mileage, condition of exterior/interior/underbody what's the best way to decide if a listing is even in the right range? Thanks!

Check out the 100 series classifieds and see what's sold and the condition/spec of the truck. No one here can give you an exact number and all trucks are different.

Start with $40000
If Night View not equipped, subtract $15,000
For every year older than 2005, subtract $2000, but for every year newer than 2005, add $5000
For every 50K over 100K miles, subtract $3000
For every 25K under 100K miles, add $5000
Mods, maintenance, tires, etc all are irrelevant.

For example, a 2007 LX with night view and 350K miles is worth $35000
A 1999 LC with 200K miles = $7000

The same way you would with any vehicle.

Check out the New Member and FAQ threads located at the top of the forum. You'll find a ton of info that's been discussed in great detail already and will likely get you going in the right direction pretty quickly.

This is so subjective, it will be hard to find a '99 w/200K for $7K unless it's pretty chewed up and needs a lot of work. I've been looking for a '99-'00 with a gray interior and looked all over the US, not seeing much for under $10K unless you want a big project.

This is so subjective, it will be hard to find a '99 w/200K for $7K unless it's pretty chewed up and needs a lot of work. I've been looking for a '99-'00 with a gray interior and looked all over the US, not seeing much for under $10K unless you want a big project.
No, it's science.

Here is what I did....
1/scatter plot of miles vs price, separated into age ranges (98-02), (03-05) and (06-07) for a nationwide search. CarGuru seemed to have the most 100s when I did this.
2/evaluated service history
3/decided what was important to me and what trade offs I was willing to make

Some of the flaws in my logic:
Prices seem higher in some regions than others
Asking price may not equal sold price

I didn’t find the exercise extremely helpful, as you never really know The condition until you look at it. Some that looked great on paper were terrible and vice versa.

Lots of great resources on here in faqs, also found OTRAMM YouTube channel helpful. He has a prepurchase Inspection one, that I found helpful.

Good luck.

Spend a year obsessing over the classifieds, Autotempest, Auto Trader, Craigslist, etc. You'll get a pretty good feel for the market by that point. ;)

Had a 00 River Rock Green LX470 w/Gray interior lined up to buy at 5K today even though I didn't need another LC/LX. Guy raised the price overnight and decided to meet someone else an hour earlier than me and sold it. I wasn't too happy with his ethics but it happens. It was too good of a deal in my opinion if the truck checked out in person albeit I didnt inspect the truck yet but the service records via Lexus were good. I would say that prices are all over but have cash in hand to buy it right away for those in the market. People on CL and FB marketplace seem to be on the hunt and quick on the trigger.

Here is what I did....
1/scatter plot of miles vs price, separated into age ranges (98-02), (03-05) and (06-07) for a nationwide search. CarGuru seemed to have the most 100s when I did this.
2/evaluated service history
3/decided what was important to me and what trade offs I was willing to make

Some of the flaws in my logic:
Prices seem higher in some regions than others
Asking price may not equal sold price

I didn’t find the exercise extremely helpful, as you never really know The condition until you look at it. Some that looked great on paper were terrible and vice versa.

Lots of great resources on here in faqs, also found OTRAMM YouTube channel helpful. He has a prepurchase Inspection one, that I found helpful.

Good luck.

I think this is pretty on point. I bought a 98 lx the other day with 213k BUT it has Lexus dealer service records that were VERY good as well as a stack of receipts. Car needs some cosmetic love but at the price I got it at I could not be happier with the lack of rust for my area and dealer records. So you have to have a strategy about what is important. Well stated.

I know this is probably a topic with a lot of opinions, but I'll ask anyway: what's the best way to go about identifying the proper price range for a 100 series? Given model year, mileage, condition of exterior/interior/underbody what's the best way to decide if a listing is even in the right range? Thanks!
The wisdom comes from hunting for a bit first. Only then can you get a "feel" for the current market. Also, don't assume the prices you used six months ago still hold, especially in certain areas. Prices in the PNW seem insane as compared to, say, Arizona.

Spend a year obsessing over the classifieds, Autotempest, Auto Trader, Craigslist, etc. You'll get a pretty good feel for the market by that point. ;)

God, that cut deep. But alas, this man knows of what he speaks.

I bounced between an LX/LC and a LR4. Obviously I made the right decision. But to Bisho's point, I had every buying app on my phone with price alerts and new post notifications. I watched Autotrader, Cars.com, Cargurus, Autotempest, etc like a hawk. I watched cars come and go but I was patient and it paid off. Just keep your eye out for vehicles that match your needs and see what they sell for.

But at the end of the day, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I did not want to pay $20,000+ for a low mileage 06/07 LX/LC. So I had to wait until the right deal came along.

I bought the first one I saw for what it's worth. True story
Hah, me too. It wasn't pretty but the mechanicals were mostly in great shape. My carpet may set a world record for coffee stains ... I just call it patina.

When you find the one you want, just buy it unless price is really ridiculous and/or you can't afford it. Does it really matter if you get a "deal", unless you're a flipper?
Apparently the prices for these will just continue to go up, relative to their real "value". That's what has happened with 80 series. Go figure, since 80 doesn't even look like a classic.
The Cruiser you find may be the last vehicle you buy. I love to look at Cruiser FS adds but probably will never buy another, mostly because the one I own just won't die.

When you find the one you want, just buy it unless price is really ridiculous and/or you can't afford it. Does it really matter if you get a "deal", unless you're a flipper?
Apparently the prices for these will just continue to go up, relative to their real "value". That's what has happened with 80 series. Go figure, since 80 doesn't even look like a classic.
The Cruiser you find may be the last vehicle you buy. I love to look at Cruiser FS adds but probably will never buy another, mostly because the one I own just won't die.
Until someone tbones you

I am also looking for a 100 series and the market is a mess.

All I can say is this - as much as I want a 100series - the 200 series is becoming more attractive to me everyday, for reasons like this:

That seller is on drugs. No one in hell is going to pay 30K for that. I found an ‘06 for $11,500. You can find deals, just have to be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom