Find TDC (Rotate crankshaft) with Radiator Installed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to adjust the valves so I need to find TDC, but the engine is fully assembled with radiator and shroud installed. How do I rotate the crankshaft to find TDC with the radiator and fan shroud installed? Is it possible to do that? If so, how?

I need to adjust the valves so I need to find TDC, but the engine is fully assembled with radiator and shroud installed. How do I rotate the crankshaft to find TDC with the radiator and fan shroud installed? Is it possible to do that? If so, how?
You can put the truck into 4th and roll it to spin the engine, or pop the plugs and you should be able to spin the flywheel by hand.

you can remove theclutch/bellhousing cover and use the teeth on the flywheel, then you can see the mark go around and get ready for it in the window

I take the big socket that fits the front crankshaft nut (a little loosely due to the retaining tabs), sorry I don't have it in front of me to get the size, but it's SAE, an inch and something, and then I place that on the crankshaft nut. Just angle it in past the fan shroud and set it on the nut. Then I stick a 12" (or so) extension under the radiator attached to my large ratchet. Now I can turn the engine over while standing in the front watching the valves operate, that way I will always know if I am at TDC on # 1 or #6 (180* out). Just make sure your timing window on the bell housing is open so you can see the marks too. OH... and also remember to remove that socket from the crankshaft nut before you go and do something like turn over the starter motor... like me :doh:

I take the big socket that fits the front crankshaft nut (a little loosely due to the retaining tabs), sorry I don't have it in front of me to get the size, but it's SAE, an inch and something, and then I place that on the crankshaft nut. Just angle it in past the fan shroud and set it on the nut. Then I stick a 12" (or so) extension under the radiator attached to my large ratchet. Now I can turn the engine over while standing in the front watching the valves operate, that way I will always know if I am at TDC on # 1 or #6 (180* out). Just make sure your timing window on the bell housing is open so you can see the marks too. OH... and also remember to remove that socket from the crankshaft nut before you go and do something like turn over the starter motor... like me :doh:
I’ll try that next time as I’m sure I’ll need to find TDC again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom